Need some serveradvice

Lyngaa

Hello guys! 

Today is the day where i'm going to take a deeper look into the server universe. 

I have an "old" pc with a 200gb hdd. I have installed Windows Server R2 2012 (I believe its called).

Would it be worth to use it as a NAS? 
As far i am now, i know i'm going to use it for printserver and domainserver. 

Here's my questions: 

1. Would it be worth using it as a NAS. I know i'm going to use it as Domain- and print- server.

I want to get a proper server to summer that can do all the things i want it to do. 

I want to have a server with two mirrored hdd's.

2.  Is there any minimum specs for a server? 

3. Is a raidcontroller needed? 

4. Is it possible to get a ATX case with place for a server? 

Thank you & have a nice day!

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”

1. If you need a NAS then sure why not.

2. No, it really depends what you want to do with it. a Domain Controller + Printer Server are not resource hungry roles for Windows Server... Why do you want a Domain?

3. That depends on the number of drives you want to have. For example if you have 2 and you just want a simple RAID1 then Windows CAN software RAID that for you.

4.Yes. A server is just a normal PC with a different OS on it (and sometimes not even, you can have a NAS run Windows 10)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

3 minutes ago, Altecice said:

1. If you need a NAS then sure why not.

2. No, it really depends what you want to do with it. a Domain Controller + Printer Server are not resource hungry roles for Windows Server... Why do you want a Domain?

3. That depends on the number of drives you want to have. For example if you have 2 and you just want a simple RAID1 then Windows CAN software RAID that for you.

4.Yes. A server is just a normal PC with a different OS on it (and sometimes not even, you can have a NAS run Windows 10)

So a 400$ server pc is good enough?

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”