NZXT N450 PWM Fan Hub

Moonzy

hello,

so some time ago i posted regarding NZXT N450's included PWM fan hub not working with Fan Xpert 3
I sent an email to NZXT about 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive a reply

so... i wanna try again to make the pwm fan hub work, any ideas?

situation:

- PWM input pin plugged into any fan header, or not plugged in, results in my fans spinning full speed
- Fan Xpert 3 not recognising it as a fan
- tried using PWM thingy at motherboard (didnt go in-depth), but Fan Xpert doesnt work with the fan header if i used the PWM thingy in mobo (just list as no fan plugged in or smth)
edit: Fan Xpert now recognise it as a fan (i was testing with intel stock cooler last time), it can control the cpu fan but not the other fans plugged into it

specs:
Motherboard: Asus B150 Pro Gaming/AURA

Fan: 3x 120mm 3 pin Fans (included with case), 1x 140mm 3 pin Fan (included with case), 2x Be Quiet! Silent Wings (on Dark Rock Pro 3, only use one pin for both fans), and 1x Noctua NF-F12 (running on low noise adapter now)
Fan header available: CPU, Fan 1, Fan 2, Fan 3, Water Pump (not sure if it works with fan)

if you ever worked with PWM fan hubs or know how it works, please do give suggestions ^^

thanks in advance

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

hello,

so some time ago i posted regarding NZXT N450's included PWM fan hub not working with Fan Xpert 3
I sent an email to NZXT about 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive a reply

so... i wanna try again to make the pwm fan hub work, any ideas?

situation:

- PWM input pin plugged into any fan header, or not plugged in, results in my fans spinning full speed
- Fan Xpert 3 not recognising it as a fan
- tried using PWM thingy at motherboard (didnt go in-depth), but Fan Xpert doesnt work with the fan header if i used the PWM thingy in mobo (just list as no fan plugged in or smth)

specs:
Motherboard: Asus B150 Pro Gaming/AURA

Fan: 3x 120mm 3 pin Fans (included with case), 1x 140mm 3 pin Fan (included with case), 2x Be Quiet! Silent Wings (on Dark Rock Pro 3, only use one pin for both fans), and 1x Noctua NF-F12 (running on low noise adapter now)
Fan header available: CPU, Fan 1, Fan 2, Fan 3, Water Pump (not sure if it works with fan)

if you ever worked with PWM fan hubs or know how it works, please do give suggestions ^^

thanks in advance

Your fans aren't pwm. PWM requires the fan to have 4 pins.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

6 minutes ago, roctrebira said:

Your fans aren't pwm. PWM requires the fan to have 4 pins.

but you see, the pwm fan hub itself doesnt have 4 pin output (except for CPU)
N450-case-white-fan-hub.jpg

While i have never used the NZXT's 450 case, the fan hubs that come with their cases takes power from a molex and a "on" signal from the MOBO and there is a 12v/7v/5v switch that you use to control the fans,FanXpert will not be able to control that. If you want FanXpert to control the fans you need a PWM fan hub or splitter cable connected to any of the MOBO's 4pin fan headers and then you connect the PWM and some 3pin fans to the PWM hub or splitter cable and then run Fan Xpert's auto tuning.

Another thing to note is that all the fans should be the same speed when connected to a MOBO's fan header via a PWM hub or splitter cable, if not the slower speed fan will be the dominant on that hub or splitter cable when using FanXpert.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

While i have never used the NZXT's 450 case, the fan hubs that come with their cases takes power from a molex and a "on" signal from the MOBO and there is a 12v/7v/5v switch that you use to control the fans,FanXpert will not be able to control that. If you want FanXpert to control the fans you need a PWM fan hub or splitter cable connected to any of the MOBO's 4pin fan headers and then you connect the PWM and some 3pin fans to the PWM hub or splitter cable and then run Fan Xpert's auto tuning.

Another thing to note is that all the fans should be the same speed when connected to a MOBO's fan header via a PWM hub or splitter cable, if not the slower speed fan will be the dominant on that hub or splitter cable when using FanXpert.

but it is a PWM fan hub, and theres no 5v/7v/12v switch
the manual says, plug the thingy into cpu header, and the cpu fan to the white header, then the case fans to the other black headers

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

the manual says, plug the thingy into cpu header, and the cpu fan to the white header, then the case fans to the other black headers

So using the fan controller in the bios didn't work?

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

1 minute ago, roctrebira said:

i didnt really do in-depth testing as i wanted to use Fan Xpert, but i guess ill give it a shot now

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

The picture you posted does not show any thing connected tot he white header. Also, are you seeing any of the fans in FanXpert?...you need to run the fan auto tuning first.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

The picture you posted does not show any thing connected tot he white header. Also, are you seeing any of the fans in FanXpert?...you need to run the fan auto tuning first.

that wasnt my config, it was from google image just to show the pins
i had white header connected to my fans on my cpu cooler (silent wings) and the pwm cable to my cpu header
i see and can control the other fans no problem.

1 hour ago, roctrebira said:

aaaand i tested and it didnt work
seems to be running full speed

Fan Xpert now recognise it as a fan (i was testing with intel stock cooler last time), it can control the cpu fan but not the other fans plugged into it

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Fan Xpert now recognise it as a fan (i was testing with intel stock cooler last time), it can control the cpu fan but not the other fans plugged into it

The fan hub won't give you access to each fan independently... it will control it as a group. The RPM reading will be the fan connected to the white header.

Just now, EdInk said:

The fan hub won't give you access to each fan independently... it will control it as a group. The RPM reading will be the fan connected to the white header.

yea but only my cpu fan speed is changing...

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

yea but only my cpu fan speed is changing...

That's odd. Do you have the auxiliary power connected to the fan hub?

Just now, EdInk said:

That's odd. Do you have the auxiliary power connected to the fan hub?

it does require a molex power for it to work

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it does require a molex power for it to work

In the BIOS setting, is the header set to PWM or DC?

Just now, EdInk said:

In the BIOS setting, is the header set to PWM or DC?

PWM, but i think it doesnt work since i set my cpu fan speed to lowest at 40 celcius and 100% at 45 celcius (idle around 37 and 50+ around load) and it wasnt reacting until i turned on fan xpert and used fan tuning again

Just now, Moonzy said:

PWM, but i think it doesnt work since i set my cpu fan speed to lowest at 40 celcius and 100% at 45 celcius (idle around 37 and 50+ around load) and it wasnt reacting until i turned on fan xpert and used fan tuning again

I'll suggest you check that and then use QFan tuning in bios. Sometimes with the ASUS BIOS you still have to toggle the PWM/DC switch again for it to register properly. I've ditched Fanxpert for SpeedFan as it gives much better control.

Just now, EdInk said:

I'll suggest you check that and then use QFan tuning in bios. Sometimes with the ASUS BIOS you still have to toggle the PWM/DC switch again for it to register properly. I've ditched Fanxpert for SpeedFan as it gives much better control.

will try it out now

13 hours ago, EdInk said:

sry for the late reply, it was 2am and i fell asleep while doing this

anyway toggling the switch didnt seem to do anything as my noctua fan (connected to the pwm fan hub's 3 pin) is not reacting while my cpu fan isnt as well

after turning on fan Xpert, the cpu fans start reacting tho the noctua still run at full speed

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

sry for the late reply, it was 2am and i fell asleep while doing this

anyway toggling the switch didnt seem to do anything as my noctua fan (connected to the pwm fan hub's 3 pin) is not reacting while my cpu fan isnt as well

after turning on fan Xpert, the cpu fans start reacting tho the noctua still run at full speed

This advice is pretty much a stab in the dark. My PWM hub works with or without the auxiliary SATA power connection. Have you tried it without connection the molex?

If all fails then I think the last option is having it replaced or buying another. 

Just now, EdInk said:

This advice is pretty much a stab in the dark. My PWM hub works with or without the auxiliary SATA power connection. Have you tried it without connecting the molex?

If all fails then I think the last option is having it replaced or buying another. 

6 hours ago, EdInk said:

This advice is pretty much a stab in the dark. My PWM hub works with or without the auxiliary SATA power connection. Have you tried it without connection the molex?

well it doesnt work without the molex, i tested it

well i dont think replacing it is going to be easy, i contacted NZXT and they said ill need to deal with the retailer that i bought which requires me to send my case in for 3 months

and i dont think i can send my case in for 3 months since i dont have any spare cases

i think ill just use fan splitters, thanks for your help

Just now, Moonzy said:

well it doesnt work without the molex, i tested it

well i dont think replacing it is going to be easy, i contacted NZXT and they said ill need to deal with the retailer that i bought which requires me to send my case in for 3 months

and i dont think i can send my case in for 3 months since i dont have any spare cases

i think ill just use fan splitters, thanks for your help

Swiftech makes a cheap pwm fan hub

http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8