My Personal Rig & Gear

LinusTech

You say that you've done some ghetto stuff to your build, you should check mine...My pump is not even laying down flat on the chassi floor, my res is hold on by double sided velcro...and yeah...It's a mess...I should probably fix it

Very nice, a good PC with more than a fair share of personality. :D

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

You can actually disable the LEDs. Just hit the blue colored dots on the Activity (Or the Running [underglow]) to turn them off. There's no solid though.

flRAIBU.png

Is there a cheaper PSU of less wattage (say 500W-750W) that also has the feature which turns of the fan when idle? I would love to have that!

Corsair RM550, RM650 or RM750

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

You can actually disable the LEDs. Just hit the blue colored dots on the Activity (Or the Running [underglow]) to turn them off. There's no solid though.

<snip>

Pretty much it. I owned a stick of the Red/Green version of this for a while too, but returned them. Shame on you @LinusTech for not noticing that. :P

What was the model of Disc Drive you used? Thanks B)

b0004464_5311aa2792aed.jpg

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Hey Linus,

first of all I have to point out, that finding a wife (or girlfriend at that time), who buys you a 400 bucks PC case as a gift, makes you undoubtably imba already... :D;)

But lets get to the case... ^^ I totally admire the passion, you're putting into your rig, dispite you're doing this as an everyday job. I would totally fail to choose of that massive variety of different components, that constantly comes to your eyes. Designwise, it's not really my taste, but as you already said in the video, this is totally a subjective thing. However, it is definitely consequent, which is one of the most important things. I also like the D.I.Y.-solutions in your system (I'd call it the Velcro-factor :D). That's what really makes it unique. By the way, have you ever thought about getting Velcro as a Sponsor...? :D To conclude my praise... nice build, nice video and nice storytelling. 

I'd like to use the occasion to ask you one question - also to the community of course:
How good are the fans from Fractal Design compared to that blue ones in your/Linus' system in terms of silence and airflow?

In the long term, I'm planning to build a black & white themed rig based on a Fractal Design Define-XL R2 (or a possible successor). Already owning a normal Define R2, I have to say I'm quite happy with those fans, they match the color-sceme, but I've no real comparison to other models.

thx in advance

PS.: I hope that was kinda neat introduction for my first post ever in this forum... :D

sweeeeeeet  B)

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

@LinusTech - you can disable the top LED's on that RAM. I have mine off with just the red under-lighting on. Refer to this image on how to turn off running lights. Press the activity light indicators until they are white (clear).

Also Crucial has a new revision of that same RAM that is more compatible with X79 chipset (I had to send back my kit because it would only detect 8 of the 16GB and would not run @ proper timings/freq etc). Crucial replaced and upgraded my set for free. Hope that helps you. Nice rig.

2Y6r1LC.jpg

Dkjn12z.jpg

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Nice Linus! Now i'm not the only one using a real glass side window. My lian li window came with terrible adhesive on the plexi that was etched into it and cleaning only made the glass full of micro scratches.

IMG 20131228 172057 (1)

Its so clear i feel like i'm looking into an aquarium.

And my PC-D600 replaced my switch 810, so i agree with you 100%. The switch is too much plastic, odd shaped window, and way too heavy. The Lian Li while still a large case... i can actually picked it up quite easily.
Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I do really like how it turned out. The finish is just pure sex IMHO. :wub:

EDIT: The paint finish, not the finish of the video!!! :lol:

Might have been nice to have a stealth mod on the optical drive, too bad you

don't have enough 5.25" covers.

TJ07 is a classic for sure, would love to do a build in one some day, but one

can't do everything. Can't complain about my Caselabs TBH, although I have

been thinking about doing a proper glass window for it as well. All in good

time though. Been on my project for more than three years, no reason to haste

now.

Bonus points for saying "radii" instead of "radiuses" or something similarly

silly. :D

EDIT:

Side note: I don't mind longer vids TBH (20~35-ish min), if it's something

I'm interested in. ;)

Edited by alpenwasser

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hey Linus. I've followed the channel since pretty much the beginning. I've seen this rig in every vid it was in and I just wanted to say that it suits you perfectly. The janky SSD array, the janky velcro. The epic board and PCI-e cards. The epic powder coat!

Well done, and let the haters hate. I love the rig. True dedication!

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

Is there a cheaper PSU of less wattage (say 500W-750W) that also has the feature which turns of the fan when idle? I would love to have that!

The RM series form corsair.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

I must have a total price of this build (even the samples), someone please do the math.

What kind of mat was he working on its much cooler than mine I need to get me one.

AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 | Memory Corsair XMS3 16GB | R9 280x 3GB | WD Black 1TB | Samsung 120GB SSD | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H100i | NZXT Fan Controller | Asus VS247H-P x2

Other than the T-balancer and Corsair Link, are there any other PID-controlled automated fan controllers in the market?

Other than the T-balancer and Corsair Link, are there any other PID-controlled automated fan controllers in the market?

Aquacomputer's Aquaero? Although calling that a fan controller is a bit of

an insult to its capabilities. But it's pretty much the yard stick when it comes

to controllers.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I don't think any PWM controller utilizes PID to control, it merely send a PWM signal at different amplitudes and does not get feedback from the controlled device. I don't know much about the T-balancer so I won't include it in the list.

I'm hoping they exist since I don't have the time to build it myself. T-balancer uses thermal sensors. Its that wire that Linus stuck to his bottom rad with thermal paste. The Corsair link has three probes that come with it for feedback.

Most of the fan controllers in the market just use a resist pot and voltage control instead of using PWM.

You are talking about temperature/flow/other auxiliary sensors that the controller uses as a control method? Ya, all of the high end software-controlled controllers have that option. Technically it is not a PID control scheme as you are not getting feedback from the actual PWM/voltage signal provided but I know what you mean.

The Aquuaero 6 has all 4 channels capable of PWM or voltage control and you can set up signal curves according to temperature, flow rate, flow pressure, time of the day and so forth. It is on the expensive side but if you need this kind of control, you don't need to look any further. EK is coming out with its own solution soon as well (termed the EK Ascendancy)

Only case that could be better for you linus, is murderbox. But that one is like 1000 dollars.