My Personal Rig & Gear

LinusTech

We need Slicks,Diesels and B-Rolls build logs and personal rig and gear threads STAT.

Please,Im begging if you can't tell...

+1 but Slick's is most important. We've already seen Diesel's rig rebuilt recently. 

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

+1 but Slick's is most important. We've already seen Diesel's rig rebuilt recently.

Personal rig,I don't think that's his personal rig.

Personal rig,I don't think that's his personal rig.

Whoops! Comprehension fail on my behalf. Sorry buddy :)

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Headset: Work in progress...

retired: Steelseries 7H Fnatic Edition - I think I'm the only person on Earth who like the 7Hs. Build quality issues with the original aside, they sound GREAT for gaming headphones, and I find them very comfortable. They also have a very solid microphone, so I use these whenever I need a mic. Other than that my go-to headphones are still my (now ancient) Sennheiser HD555s.

Could you get your hands on some Audio-Technica headsets? Especially the ATH-M50s are very populair? But maybe for you personally something higher end? ATH-A700x or ATH-A900x? I don't know the 900x but the 700x and M50s are amazing. Would love to see an unboxing and your take on these headphones.

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

• 2 weeks later...

Could you get your hands on some Audio-Technica headsets? Especially the ATH-M50s are very populair? But maybe for you personally something higher end? ATH-A700x or ATH-A900x? I don't know the 900x but the 700x and M50s are amazing. Would love to see an unboxing and your take on these headphones.

I second the ATH-M50s. Also Sennheiser HD 280 Pro are stellar headphones for ~$100. But be warned they are neutral in that they don't embellish the sound.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

• 3 months later...

YAY I've been waiting forever for this build video...Looks great so far. I hope your machine serves you well.

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

I am planning to add a network iSCSI device as a game drive soon so I can install my entire STEAM library. Some stuff doesn't fit on my SSD array. #FirstWorldProblem.

Did this become a thing?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

stunningly beautiful linus. easily one of the best looking builds i've ever seen. that case and paint job is truly amazing. 

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Linus, This is, honestly my favorite build. Everything that's "ghetto" about it, everything that's makeshift, everything you've done to the TJ-07, every fan, and piece of hardware in there, I am a huge fan of. This is the type of build I love owning. Yours is a bit more epic in cost and everything than mine, but my chassis is still very custom and overpaid for, I have two custom aluminum panels that were gifts to replace the plastic panels on the Fractal Design Arc Midi. Can't tell you how much I like this build, I think because the chassis was a gift from your wife is what really does it for me.

Linus, if price was not a thing would you use a samsung evo 1TB insted of 8 corsair ssd's?

Awesome "final" rig update! Its always the sentimental value of parts in what makes a personal rig I think and I would have a hard time seeing you more to a different case ever really. Something I would recomend that I saw you could do is take the stickers off the Intel NIC's on your motherboard. Just a little easy cleanup, other then that it's really unique and a great looking build. 

I should probably go ahead and update my personal rig as well. I think I actually got the Gold Motherboard looking alright with a blue theme.

Great job!

Loving the ghetto rad mounts, velcro for the win lol

Did this become a thing?

Nope. Still haven't done it. Will do it at some point, but up until now I haven't needed to. I only have about 400GB on my system as it is right now.

Linus, if price was not a thing would you use a samsung evo 1TB insted of 8 corsair ssd's?

Price isn't really the issue. I could call up Samsung tomorrow and ask them for a 1TB SSD and I could probably get one.

My solution performs better than any single drive can today... and I paid a lot of money for it, so I'm going to get my mileage out of it :P

Price isn't really the issue. I could call up Samsung tomorrow and ask them for a 1TB SSD and I could probably get one.

My solution performs better than any single drive can today... and I paid a lot of money for it, so I'm going to get my mileage out of it :P

my samsung 840 pro reaches 1gbs with rapid mode :o

Call it McDonald's 'cause I'm loving it.

It occurred to me when the temperature probe placement was mentioned that I would love to see a tutorial covering system temperature monitoring btw.

Hi Linus! Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 8 and what are your thoughts on both of them?

i5-4670K | ASUS Z97 MAXIMUS VII HERO | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | Corsair 750D | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM | Corsair RM750 | Corsair H100i