Nikon D40 Firmware Hack or Something?

byalexandr

So, I'm getting back into videography, and as much as my Lumia 1020's camera is nice, Windows Phone 10 is currently a little bit of a bitch. I have my DSLR, which is a Nikon D40, and it only shoots still photography. Is there any possible way that I can make it shoot video? Just at least a 720p 24FPS or something, even 480p is fine I suppose, I know it's asking a lot for it to shoot video anyways.

Has this even been done before? Have people modified the firmware or whatever it's called on a DSLR that only shoots photos and made it shoot video?

I'd like to give this a try before I ask my mom to borrow her company's Canon XA20, as I'm pretty sure it'll be a no since it's not at my house anymore.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Chances are, probably not. 

I've read somewhere before that it's possible or something, but it's been done by some crazy Ruskies and there's not a clear cut way to do it.

Just now, byalexandr said:

I've read somewhere before that it's possible or something, but it's been done by some crazy Ruskies and there's not a clear cut way to do it.

Yeah, chances are the way you'd flash the camera would be extremely risky and not worth the risk.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, chances are the way you'd flash the camera would be extremely risky and not worth the risk.

*sigh* Probably.... Whelp, time to see whether or not I can use the $1,800 Canon XA20....

Don't waste your time on the D40 for video, even if there was a firmware hack chances are the quality will be pretty bad.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

• 1 year later...
  • Set your camera to Manual Focus Mode
  • Turn on the Vibration Reduction or use a tripod
  • Set your movie preferences by the Movie Setting option on the Shooting Menu
  • Press on the “Lv” button to switch to Live View Mode
  • Compose your shot
  • Set focus
  • Press on OK to begin recording
  • Press on OK again to stop recording
  • Press on the Lv button to exit Live View mode and return to normal shooting.

See full details in Nikon d40 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-d40-manual&po=4381&lang=English

1 hour ago, dikanumur said:
  • Set your camera to Manual Focus Mode
  • Turn on the Vibration Reduction or use a tripod
  • Set your movie preferences by the Movie Setting option on the Shooting Menu
  • Press on the “Lv” button to switch to Live View Mode
  • Compose your shot
  • Set focus
  • Press on OK to begin recording
  • Press on OK again to stop recording
  • Press on the Lv button to exit Live View mode and return to normal shooting.

See full details in Nikon d40 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-d40-manual&po=4381&lang=English

What drugs are you taking, the Nikon D40 doesn't have live view mode and cannot record video.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

7 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

What drugs are you taking...

So rude.