Transfer speeds cap with domain on NAS

Swinzon

Hey guys! I little while ago I ran Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on my NAS, for two purposes, 1. Windows Deployment Service and 2. high transfer speeds.
When I had WinSer2012R2, I played around with domains, I made a local domain in my network and when I did, and hooked up my HTPC to it I lost around 60% of my gigabit transfer speed.
I had around 100-114MB\s stable speeds, but with a domain I got around 40-50MB\s. I`ve trying to find out why, with no luck. Why did this happen after joining the domain?
I also removed the domain completley from the server (Active Directory and so on), returning to auto DNS on server and HTPC with no luck...

2 hours ago, Swinzon said:

Hey guys! I little while ago I ran Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on my NAS, for two purposes, 1. Windows Deployment Service and 2. high transfer speeds.
When I had WinSer2012R2, I played around with domains, I made a local domain in my network and when I did, and hooked up my HTPC to it I lost around 60% of my gigabit transfer speed.
I had around 100-114MB\s stable speeds, but with a domain I got around 40-50MB\s. I`ve trying to find out why, with no luck. Why did this happen after joining the domain?
I also removed the domain completley from the server (Active Directory and so on), returning to auto DNS on server and HTPC with no luck...

Sounds like SMB/network encryption, this gets turned on by default for a server acting as a domain controller. Give me a moment I'll find the details, another person on the forum had the same issue I was helping him with.

Run the following powershell command, if yours are also set to true then this is your issue. Having these on require a large amount of CPU resource.

Get-SmbServerConfiguration

RequireSecuritySignature        : True
EnableSecuritySignature         : True

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Run the following powershell command, if yours are also set to true then this is your issue. Having these on require a large amount of CPU resource.

to be clear, the command you run is "Get-SmbServerConfiguration", the lines under that are a sample result.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Okey, thanks guys! 
Is it possible to join a domain without making the HTPC a new domain user account?

1 hour ago, Swinzon said:

Okey, thanks guys! 
Is it possible to join a domain without making the HTPC a new domain user account?

What do you mean by that? Joining a computer to a domain creates a computer account, user accounts are used to login to domain joined computers.

Also to fix your issue you just need to turn off those two settings on the server and you will get your speed back.

What do you mean by that? Joining a computer to a domain creates a computer account, user accounts are used to login to domain joined computers.

Also to fix your issue you just need to turn off those two settings on the server and you will get your speed back.

Thanks for your reply. I don't wan't a domain user, only to get the PC in the domain.

You can just specify what domain you're using to login (local in your case). Use 'computername\localaccountname' for the username field.

You can just specify what domain you're using to login (local in your case). Use 'computername\localaccountname' for the username field.

Yes, but I only want the conputer into the domain, not the user

3 minutes ago, Swinzon said:

Yes, but I only want the conputer into the domain, not the user

Yes... Before you add that computer to the domain, you used a local account to login to it and then add it to the domain, correct? The username of that account is 'computername\localaccountname' e.g.: PC1\administrator.

FYI: you can also just use period '.' for the domain part if you're lazy (I am) so it's just '.\administrator'.

And either way, domain joined or not, check the settings from the SMB command posted earlier and make sure those are both FALSE - if they are TRUE, change the setting to FALSE - let us know if you need PowerShell help.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: