Need help with solution or other suggestions.

Rayth

So I've been looking for a new laptop since I'm doing Digital Animation in my college and I came across the MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro and GE62 6QF Apache Pro which seem to fit the bill of what Iooking for. The only issue is that from the review I read at Notebookcheck, they said that the power consumption is so high that gaming when plugged in, the battery still gets drained. This made me hesitant on whether or not to settle with one of these two (IIRC the only difference between the two is the screen size). So I'm posting here in hopes that there is someone who knows a viable solution to this issue since I'm having trouble finding other laptops which has what I'm looking for.

I would also appreciate any suggestions you guys might have so that I have more options to choose from and these are what I'm looking for:

- Can run games as well as handle 3D (for my course)

- Backlit RGB keyboard

- Has USB Type-C port

- As thin and light as possible - good estimate would be the above model: ~2.93kg and ~27-29mm thick. (Wouldn't want to be carrying an 6kg laptop to class everyday)

- Budget about USD1.4k (rough estimate since I'm buying from Malaysia and if it helps, more accurately it'd be ~RM6000)

- SD Card reader would be a plus but not a must.

- Specs wise, I don't really know since I'm not too familiar with them so I'll leave it to you guys for the beat value and compromise between gaming and work

So yeah, that's pretty much it. I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me here,

7 minutes ago, Rayth said:

So I've been looking for a new laptop since I'm doing Digital Animation in my college and I came across the MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro and GE62 6QF Apache Pro which seem to fit the bill of what Iooking for. The only issue is that from the review I read at Notebookcheck, they said that the power consumption is so high that gaming when plugged in, the battery still gets drained. This made me hesitant on whether or not to settle with one of these two (IIRC the only difference between the two is the screen size). So I'm posting here in hopes that there is someone who knows a viable solution to this issue since I'm having trouble finding other laptops which has what I'm looking for.

I would also appreciate any suggestions you guys might have so that I have more options to choose from and these are what I'm looking for:

- Can run games as well as handle 3D (for my course)

- Backlit RGB keyboard

- Has USB Type-C port

- As thin and light as possible - good estimate would be the above model: ~2.93kg and ~27-29mm thick. (Wouldn't want to be carrying an 6kg laptop to class everyday)

- Budget about USD1.4k (rough estimate since I'm buying from Malaysia and if it helps, more accurately it'd be ~RM6000)

- SD Card reader would be a plus but not a must.

- Specs wise, I don't really know since I'm not too familiar with them so I'll leave it to you guys for the beat value and compromise between gaming and work

So yeah, that's pretty much it. I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me here,

Razer blade stealth. Plus you can always buy the core and put whatever graphics card you want in to play any game at any setting...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

5 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

Razer blade stealth. Plus you can always buy the core and put whatever graphics card you want in to play any game at any setting...

Although looking at pricing a bit more, you don't get a true 4 core i7 until a price range that is out of your budget...so perhaps not since a 4 core would likely benefit you for school work.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

33 minutes ago, Rayth said:

snip

I would say this is a good choice.

http://store.illegear.com/q-series/106-illegear-q5.html

Things that this machine does not have:

- RGB Keyboard

- USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C

Buying the SSD separately yourself usually saves you a little cash, though this varies from seller to seller.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

2 hours ago, Low_Battery said:

2 hours ago, Low_Battery said:

Although looking at pricing a bit more, you don't get a true 4 core i7 until a price range that is out of your budget...so perhaps not since a 4 core would likely benefit you for school work.

I have also looked at Razer but the price is like twice the budget I have. Also do you mind elaborating on "you can always buy the core and put whatever graphics card you want in to play any game at any setting..."? 

1 hour ago, exercutor5 said:

I would say this is a good choice.

http://store.illegear.com/q-series/106-illegear-q5.html

Things that this machine does not have:

- RGB Keyboard

- USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C

Buying the SSD separately yourself usually saves you a little cash, though this varies from seller to seller.

Thanks! I'll consider that as well - especially because of the promotion they have. The only question I have is that will it be able to last me for a long period of time? I'm hoping not to have to get a new one like 3 years later. Also, the only thing which I'm skeptical about Illegear is I can't really find any reviews on the laptops (like the Q5 you linked).

51 minutes ago, Rayth said:

I have also looked at Razer but the price is like twice the budget I have. Also do you mind elaborating on "you can always buy the core and put whatever graphics card you want in to play any game at any setting..."? 

*snip*

The razor core is a piece of hardware that lets you plug a full size GPU into to your laptop via thunderbolt (i think).  So, for example, you could be playing with a Titan X on your laptop.

9 hours ago, Rayth said:

Thanks! I'll consider that as well - especially because of the promotion they have. The only question I have is that will it be able to last me for a long period of time? I'm hoping not to have to get a new one like 3 years later. Also, the only thing which I'm skeptical about Illegear is I can't really find any reviews on the laptops (like the Q5 you linked).

In different parts of the world, it has different names. Illegear is a Malaysian Clevo reseller.

Sager's variant is the NP7258. You would not be able to find many reviews of this machine because it is still quite a new model.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

9 hours ago, exercutor5 said:

In different parts of the world, it has different names. Illegear is a Malaysian Clevo reseller.

Sager's variant is the NP7258. You would not be able to find many reviews of this machine because it is still quite a new model.

18 hours ago, Low_Battery said:

The razor core is a piece of hardware that lets you plug a full size GPU into to your laptop via thunderbolt (i think).  So, for example, you could be playing with a Titan X on your laptop.

I see, I see. Thanks.

BTW apparently the MSI issue is because the energy consumption is too high for the 150W power brick (which I don't know if t's 100% the case) so is getting a higher powered one a possible solution? If it is I might just stick to this the MSI model.

Just now, Rayth said:

I see, I see. Thanks.

BTW apparently the MSI issue is because the energy consumption is too high for the 150W power brick (which I don't know if t's 100% the case) so is getting a higher powered one a possible solution? If it is I might just stick to this the MSI model.

Wait, what are the specs of the MSI models you are looking at?

5 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

Wait, what are the specs of the MSI models you are looking at?

Actually there's just one.

MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro

Skylake i7-6700HQ+HM170
nVidia Geforce GTX 970M, 3GB GDDR5

17.3" FHD IPS, Anti-Glare(1920*1080) 
DDR IV 8GB
1TB (SATA) 7200rpm

The other one (MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro) is the same, just the screen is smaller. I'm leaning to wards this because it has the features I'm looking for as above, RGB keyboard, USB-C etc. This one is priced slightly above budget (by like $100) so it won't be a problem.

28 minutes ago, Rayth said:

Actually there's just one.

MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro

Skylake i7-6700HQ+HM170
nVidia Geforce GTX 970M, 3GB GDDR5

17.3" FHD IPS, Anti-Glare(1920*1080) 
DDR IV 8GB
1TB (SATA) 7200rpm

The other one (MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro) is the same, just the screen is smaller. I'm leaning to wards this because it has the features I'm looking for as above, RGB keyboard, USB-C etc. This one is priced slightly above budget (by like $100) so it won't be a problem.

http://store.illegear.com/s-series/113-illegear-s5.html

I didn't know you were looking at the 970M variants lel. I would rather go with this instead. The end product may be a little over budget, but I think it is good. This comes in at 25mm and about 2.5kg in weight, the power brick is 180W but it may be heavy though I'm not sure on this one, they may have changed the design of it. Grab the base config with Windows 10, the free 128GB SSD and all the other free stuff they have. Oh yes, this also has 3 cooling fans.

EDIT: May I ask why do you require USB Type C for? And the RGB keyboard is just purely for looks, right?

8 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

http://store.illegear.com/s-series/113-illegear-s5.html

I didn't know you were looking at the 970M variants lel. I would rather go with this instead. The end product may be a little over budget, but I think it is good. This comes in at 25mm and about 2.5kg in weight, the power brick is 180W but it may be heavy though I'm not sure on this one, they may have changed the design of it. Grab the base config with Windows 10, the free 128GB SSD and all the other free stuff they have. Oh yes, this also has 3 cooling fans.

EDIT: May I ask why do you require USB Type C for? And the RGB keyboard is just purely for looks, right?

Well, I don't really mind the GPU but obv, the better one would be better and I'd assume 970 is better than 960. USB type C for my phone charging (It came with USB C to USB C cable so right now I can only charge it with the charger head) and yeah, RGB keyboard cause it makes me forget I don't have the Blackwidow Chroma xD

3 minutes ago, Rayth said:

Well, I don't really mind the GPU but obv, the better one would be better and I'd assume 970 is better than 960. USB type C for my phone charging (It came with USB C to USB C cable so right now I can only charge it with the charger head) and yeah, RGB keyboard cause it makes me forget I don't have the Blackwidow Chroma xD

You can always get an adapter for the USB cable lel.

2 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

You can always get an adapter for the USB cable lel.

Well if the laptop has it, I won't have to buy it, right.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just now, Rayth said:

Well if the laptop has it, I won't habe to buy it, right.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Meh, true, but then how are you charging your phone now lel

Just now, exercutor5 said:

Meh, true, but then how are you charging your phone now lel

Wall plug with USB C port. Phone came with it.

Just now, Rayth said:

Wall plug with USB C port. Phone came with it.

Ooooh my bad didn't read your post carefully. Welp, the final decision is still yours to make, others can only give you suggestions. Good luck.

Just now, exercutor5 said:

Ooooh my bad didn't read your post carefully. Welp, the final decision is still yours to make, others can only give you suggestions. Good luck.

Yeah I'm checking out the S5 and still looking for more options and/or the solution haha