M.2 slow boot times

TitanXYZ
Go to solution Solved by ZK022219,

I was having same issues with my 950 pro. 

My fix:

go into the uefi, make sure csm is set to disabled 

then secure boot to uefi.

To fresh install on win 10 i had to disable csm and turn secure boot to other os then after the installation, before windows configures, go back into the bios and changed secure boot to windows uefi, 

then i downloaded samsungs nvme driver.

My boot time is 8.83 seconds and i have video to show. from when i hit the power button to booted into windows. before i changed the secure boot to uefi i would get 2 splash screens so it literally took more than double the time.

Hope this helps. I know it bothered me like crazy. i was like my 850 evo boots faster than this. 

other than that, im not sure what else will factor in. 

i have herd one person say make sure ahci is disabled to use nvme however im not 100% sure my mobo supports nvme. i have the asus rog maximus viii hero. 

if anyone can confirm the ahci being disabled method thatd be awesome.

So im currently booting windows 10 pro 64bit from a samsung 950 pro 512gb and im getting fairly slow boot times (at least slower than expected). What could be the issue here? Its running on a maximus viii formula with the hard ware being a 980ti windforce,850 1tb, 6700k, 32gbs ddr4 and an x61 kraken.

Check the startup tab in the task manager, you could have something there that's slowing it down.

"Happiness is a belt fed machine gun"

How long is it taking you to boot?

Are you measuring from bios launch/splash -> os completely online, or from os splash -> os online

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

4 minutes ago, Crowned said:

I heard this is a common problem with the NVMe drivers of Windows 10.

Install the NVMe drivers offered by Samsung instead. 

I've downloaded that and I will test again

3 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Are you measuring from bios launch/splash -> os completely online, or from os splash -> os online

From pressing the on button

6 minutes ago, Atmos said:

It seems that its the bios screen (ROG logo) that is hogging the time

There is a program called Bootracer, use that to help you measure the boot times.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, TitanXYZ said:

From pressing the on button

Your m.2 won't affect the bios splash, only the bits that come after, so take that portion out of consideration.

And how long is it taking? Just saying "i think its taking too long" tells us almost nothing at all. Is it taking 30 seconds and you're just impatient, is it taking 5 minutes and you're legitimately concerned, we don't know.

If you want to shorten the time that the bios splash takes, then in your bios options enable something along the lines of fast boot or you should be able to find an option to shorten the time the bios splash screen is up.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, NumLock21 said:

There is a program called Bootracer, use that to help you measure the boot times.

I will install now

My fix:

To fresh install on win 10 i had to disable csm and turn secure boot to other os then after the installation, before windows configures, go back into the bios and changed secure boot to windows uefi, 

My boot time is 8.83 seconds and i have video to show. from when i hit the power button to booted into windows. before i changed the secure boot to uefi i would get 2 splash screens so it literally took more than double the time.

Hope this helps. I know it bothered me like crazy. i was like my 850 evo boots faster than this. 

i have herd one person say make sure ahci is disabled to use nvme however im not 100% sure my mobo supports nvme. i have the asus rog maximus viii hero. 

6 hours ago, ZK022219 said:

My fix:

Thank you!! It is much faster now

10 hours ago, TitanXYZ said:

Thank you!! It is much faster now

Awesome! Glad it worked.