AMD’s Polaris Graphic Cards Will Make The ‘Minimum VR Spec’ More Affordable For Everyone – Targeting Price Points Below $349

Mr_Troll

AMD’s Polaris Graphic Cards Will Make The ‘Minimum VR Spec’ More Affordable For Everyone – Targeting Price Points Below $349

Not much is known about the upcoming 14nm FinFET architecture from AMD: Polaris. What little we know comes from the revealed press decks and presentations at events like VRLA. AMD’s Roy Taylor discussed the Polaris Architecture at the expo and talked about how easily Polaris GPUs can target the VR market. As most of you know, the Oculus VR headset requires a “minimum specification” of GPU to run it. This specification is currently listed as a GTX 970/R9 290 GPU and it looks like Polaris will be aimed to bring this minimum spec within reach of more people.

Total Available Market VR Headsets

AMD Polaris GPUs aiming to offer minimum spec VR under the $349 mark

Before we go any further, a little bit of context is in order. Running virtual reality headsets such as the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive requires quite a bit of horsepower, which in the case of the Oculus Rift is 2k resolution at 90 frames per second. This graphical horsepower can be produced by GPUs equivalent (or more) in power to the GTX 970 or the Radeon R9 290. Both these GPUs cost $349. So if we take a look at the sales data of these GPUs as well as the GPUs above this mark, we will be able to calculate something called the total available market for VR – which is the number of users that can actually run any VR product on these headsets. AMD believes, that Polaris architecture will be efficient enough to address this problem

Now I would like to address a different challenge for us – and that is what is called a Total Available Market. One of the issues we have is the minimum spec for the PCs which will run the Occulus and the HTC headset ant 90 fps and 2k resolution. Now to do that you need either a Radeon 290x or the GTX 970 both of which retail for $349. The challenge that we have is if you look at the total numbers of these GPUs that have been sold, according to JPR, that’s an install base of just 7.5 Million units. Now that’s an issue because it means you can only sell 7.5 Million of anything – because that’s the number that can run those headsets. I am very pleased to tell you that we have invented something called Polaris which we think will address this problem. – AMD’s Roy Taylor

AMD Polaris Architecture - VRLA

The shift to 14nm becomes highly significant in this aspect. Not only does the die shrink allow for more transistors to be placed on the same surface area, it increases economies of scale – lowering cost. Not only that but the maturity of the process (14nm LPP has a 20nm backbone) would allow good yields and more volume to be shipped. AMD hopes to exercise this advantage by lowering the cost of “minimum spec VR” to a point below the $349 mark – making VR available to everyone and increasing the Total Available Market for VR.

AMD has just completed the shrink to 14 nanometer [with Polaris Architecture]. What this means is, and this is where it comes home to everyone in this room, is that we can produce GPUs that will run the minimum spec of VR at a lower cost, in larger volume, consuming less power and running faster. That means in the second half of this year and going forward more people will be able to run those headsets which will make a larger for everybody in the room [VR Industry]. – AMD’s Roy Taylor

This has interesting implications. This will almost certainly mean that AMD is going to be shipping Polaris GPUs that are at least in equivalent in power to the R9 290 at a cost much lower than the $349 MSRP of the original.

AMD dont u want to release Polaris a bit sooner?...dont wanna wait till summer.

Source:http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-architecture-vr-minimum-spec/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

The new AMD line is sounding really good.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

at first , it sounded like amd was going to ship gpus the power of a 970/290 for 349$. If they do that , i'm not impressed to say the least....

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, huilun02 said:

If they do that, no one would buy.

Because then everyone would just get the 390 for $300

So no, AMD wouldn't be that daft to do such a thing.

i know , that's why i misread the title

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Might mean that they just start selling those GPUs cheaper :B

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'm assuming these would be around the price of the r9 380/380x. Of course an added bonus would probably be that they would consume very little power (possibly only around 100 watts!). I mean look at the Polaris GPU they demoed. It consumed half of GTX 950, which is Maxwell. If we look at a GTX 970 and halve that we get around 75 watts... of course I'm not sure it would be that great but 100 watts and lower sounds plausible.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Well, if we follow past pricing trends the 390 perf equivalent will be priced at about 200, the 390x equivalent around 250. Pretty fair IMO, and that's the serious bracket where a large number of people are.

Until we have igpus or apus capable, we won't see SERIOUS adoption, but if the price to entry is 200 for a gpu, that's much more acceptable.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

This is vague and doesnt really say anything.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Awesome to hear. I know VR is in starts and all, still great news.

Hoping to see higher resolution and refresh rate gaming be playable with more affordable hardware in future to. Higher refresh rate just feels so good! And also on top of that higher resolution :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's going to be quite the fight in this next round of GPU wars this year. I think AMD needs to work on their drivers though. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

This somewhat sounds like AMD trying to make up for the other day when none of their CPUs were on the VR ready list. Which they then came out with their own list with CPUs such as the 9590 and8350 on there. They have to try and stay relevant in people's eyes until Zen and Polaris hit the market.

it would be killer if AMD just dropped an entire 14nm finfet lineup right down to the 150 market 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

2 hours ago, ivan134 said:

This is vague and doesnt really say anything.

they are saying that people on lower budgets will have access to R9 290 and GTX 970 levels of performance

and they are saying that it means more gamers will be able to afford GPUs which can drive HTC Vive and Oculus Rift

Kind of expected though... from both AMD Polaris and Nvidia Pascal.

This sounds like a cheap ad: 'New AMD graphics card, now better than the last one!'. I mean, how could they not be cheaper than $350?

Anyway, hyped to see what Amd and Nvidia bring to the table

48 minutes ago, Sunako said:

Which they then came out with their own list with CPUs such as the 9590 and8350 on there. 

I laughed so hard when i saw that AMD put that out.

VR's going to have a goal of 2160x1200 @90fps 

Not happening on a 9590 w/ a 290 level performance.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

at first , it sounded like amd was going to ship gpus the power of a 970/290 for 349$. If they do that , i'm not impressed to say the least....

Or gpus at 980 level, for that price would be pretty sweeet.

21 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

I laughed so hard when i saw that AMD put that out.

VR's going to have a goal of 2160x1200 @90fps 

Not happening on a 9590 w/ a 290 level performance.

The gpu is the bottleneck in this case, a 9590 with a fury x or 980 ti would be fine.

Just now, Watermelon Guy said:

Or gpus at 980 level, for that price would be pretty sweeet.

still would be pretty lame , that's ,like worse than standard generation upgrades on the same process

Yes, *whishes for a disruptive price*

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

What's that?

AMD will release new hardware and the cards at their common price points will be more powerful that the previous card at the same/similar price points they released?

Shocker!

This has to be the most inconsequential statement a hardware maker can release, that their new hardware will be better than their previous hardware and for about the same price.

Also, it is funny because their are already cards out that fit into the statement about being minimum VR ready for under $349 as the 390 (better than the 290) and the GTX970 are both are under $349 by a fair bit (usually starting at $290-$320)

Too bad VR really isnt anything to boast about right now, the market for hardware and VR on top of most people's lack of desire to actually own and frequently use it is just not lining up right.

This is why most of us are just keeping our Kepler 7XX cards.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

On 2/12/2016 at 1:15 PM, Eroda said:

it would be killer if AMD just dropped an entire 14nm finfet lineup right down to the 150 market 

Well i mean normally AMDs full lineup is 3 GPUs and 3 cut down models, and they've confirmed 2

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

On 2/12/2016 at 9:40 AM, Mr_Troll said:

AMD dont u want to release Polaris a bit sooner?...dont wanna wait till summer.

I wouldn't rush the slow cooking of them AMD drivers any more, they're coming out of the oven pretty damn raw already.

-------

Current Rig

-------