Cheap Audio Setup?

EarthboundHero

So, I've convinced my mum to get a new TV, I think we've decided upon this one (The 48" E480i-B2) And she was wondering if we should get a sound-bar or a cheap surround sound setup. By cheap probably under $150, but I'm not sure how high she's willing to go. I know barely anything about audio, so I don't know if we should just save the money and stick with the stock speakers or not. Any tips?

Thanks!

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You can find some pretty decent 5.1 channel surround system on Craigslist. Just look around for a used one. It works great with that tv, or well actually a tv similiar to that. I have a 52inch Vizio SmarTv but it's a few years older in model. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

I would recommend getting a decent Stereo speaker system for the tv. You would get alot more bang for the buck, and a good stereo seperated sound field gives more spacial awareness then most cheap 5.1 systems I have heard.

Try getting a second hand amplifier, and some secondhand bookshelf speakers. This is what i would recommend. But in the case if your options are soundbar or 5.1. I would lean against the soundbar. 5.1 is too many components to get for a cheap price without it not sounding cheap. 

You should spend $360 to get the razer soundbar which doesn't offer surround sound!
hahaha just kidding. Get some decent speakers.

Vizio has some decent 2.0 and 2.1 sound bars for cheap ish. Generally $100 on up. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 2/12/2016 at 3:20 AM, EarthboundHero said:

So, I've convinced my mum to get a new TV, I think we've decided upon this one (The 48" E480i-B2) And she was wondering if we should get a sound-bar or a cheap surround sound setup. By cheap probably under $150, but I'm not sure how high she's willing to go. I know barely anything about audio, so I don't know if we should just save the money and stick with the stock speakers or not. Any tips?

Thanks!

EarthBoundhero,

• Firstly, consider if you going to use the speakers for music, movies, gaming  or all of them mentioned.
  • Secondly, consider the location you have on placement of any type of speakers or audio system, weather it being a sound bar, 2.1 speaker system or surround sound etc.
  • Thirdly, consider what type of speakers you are planning to purchase and the options are a few which are powered sound bars, passive sound bars, powered speakers, passive speakers, powered sub-woofers and home theater in a box. All has there differences in advantages and disadvantages.
  • Powered speakers typically don't need any type of external powered amplifiers to functions, all it amplification is produced internally.
  • Passive speakers, however needs some type of amplifier to function, where an added cost will be needed for that device.
  • Home theater in a box typically has no additional cost, what you see is what you get, and all is needed is having it set up in your location.
  • Also, consider the cables needed to attach to your speakers which may be an additional cost if you have to purchase it.
  • All of the mentioned type of speakers above you maybe able to purchase with your budget, my only recommendation is, anything other than the television speaker would be better and you may appreciate the external speakers more
  • More value you can achieve for your budget would be better.
  • Value is different to quality, if you are thinking of quality think expense, sorry just joking here, but may have some merit to that
  • Search your sites for deals weather it being Craig list, eBay etc, there is alot of choices on new and used products. Hope you are able to find something beneficial to you and your mom.