I've just lost a thread I spent 6 hours typing. Please tell me there is a way to recover it?

Visual Hudson

I've just been working on a thread within the Troubleshooting forum for the past 6 hours. After going to post the thread, I get the "opps we can not do that" message and it appears as though I had been logged out. I guess it was due to inactivity? Although I was uploading pictures a bunch, so I don't see why that would have happened. So I've logged back in, gone to make the thread again annnnnd it's all gone. All of the text anyway, the pictures are still there annoyingly.

But, please please please tell me there is some way I am able to recover all the text I've just typed out?!

Or if not, why on earth is there not an autosave function on this forum? Or, if there is, why has it not worked / how can I find the text I've typed up?

Also, I'm aware that I should have made a copy of it before posting, just in case something like this happened. But I would have thought this forum over any other one would have utilised an auto-save function?

1 minute ago, Visual Hudson said:

Also, I'm aware that I should have made a copy of it before posting, just in case something like this happened. But I would have thought this forum over any other one would have utilised an auto-save function?

Nah I've never made a copy of a post. But if your making that big a post yeah maybe you should of 

1010011010/29A

16 minutes ago, Visual Hudson said:

I've just been working on a thread within the Troubleshooting forum for the past 6 hours. After going to post the thread, I get the "opps we can not do that" message and it appears as though I had been logged out. I guess it was due to inactivity? Although I was uploading pictures a bunch, so I don't see why that would have happened. So I've logged back in, gone to make the thread again annnnnd it's all gone. All of the text anyway, the pictures are still there annoyingly.

But, please please please tell me there is some way I am able to recover all the text I've just typed out?!

Or if not, why on earth is there not an autosave function on this forum? Or, if there is, why has it not worked / how can I find the text I've typed up?

That's pretty unlucky, usually if you reload the page the typed post is still in the box. I don't think there is a way unless a moderator can access the forum database on your behalf (assuming any data was actually saved).

In general, posts aren't THAT long, and so an autosave function would be more a luxury than a necessity. For a colossal troubleshooting post, a workaround would be using another text editor to create a draft. :)

Almost as cool as my temps  

As far as I know auto save does work on the forum. I just tried it. 

Maybe you just got extremely unlucky? Personally, I always write up my longer posts in Notepad++.

With the new forum software, hyperlinks to images are automatically displayed when entered in the WYSIWYG editor, so it makes it pretty easy when drafting up in Notepad++ and just copying over. From there i usually just adjust formatting and whatnot.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

13 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Personally, I always write up my longer posts in Notepad++.

While all of us plebs use a PowerShell window.

37 minutes ago, Visual Hudson said:

I believe if you just reload the page then you should have all the data saved there. That wasn't there before the update though and I haven't posted any topics (I don't think) since the update so I haven't tested it myself.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yeah no matter how many times I re-load the page, or attempt to start a new thread, the text does not show up. Only the pictures. 

Weirdly, when I started this thread, the pictures didn't show up. But they do show up if I start a new thread in the Troubleshooting section.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

While all of us plebs use a PowerShell window.

I believe if you just reload the page then you should have all the data saved there. That wasn't there before the update though and I haven't posted any topics (I don't think) since the update so I haven't tested it myself.

You know you can use vim in powershell?

http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1327

I'm not joking. I spend a lot of time looking at SSH tunnels when managing my server, and I do occasionally use powershell + vim for editing text and config files before sending them off to my server.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So I'm back in the Troubleshooting forum considering to re-type up everything again. It appears if I type something and press F5, the text must save as it does not disappear. It also appears that if I go back to the last page, & then return to the Create Thread page, the text also returns. So I've got no freakin' clue what's happened to my long ass post. I'm so furious, so much time wasted. 

From my knowledge the editor only saves your post in your browser (using HTML Local Storage), but if it is saved there it should show up when you try to write a new post. You can check to see if you have the post saved there by going to your browser's "Inspect Elements" -> Resources/Storage -> Local Storage -> linustechtips.com -> editorSave.something. One of these may contain your old post (though I have no promises).

Mortis might have some other way of recovering your post, but I am doubtful. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

4 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

From my knowledge the editor only saves your post in your browser (using HTML Local Storage), but if it is saved there it should show up when you try to write a new post. You can check to see if you have the post saved there by going to your browser's "Inspect Elements" -> Resources/Storage -> Local Storage -> linustechtips.com -> editorSave.something. One of these may contain your old post (though I have no promises).

Mortis might have some other way of recovering your post, but I am doubtful. 

Upon checking there, it does not look as though there is going to be any way to recover all this text. I guess I'm just going to have to type it all up again, and be sure to actually save a copy before posting such long posts in the future. 

Thanks though.

1 hour ago, TopWargamer said:

ur sig tho

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible, because when you submit the form the saved data is cleared. I know that's a bit of a design flaw, but it's very difficult for us to detect when the form was submitted successfully and only clear then. 

While your post won't be recoverable, I will look into ways of preventing it from affecting people in the future. 

HTTP/2 203