What is a chromebook?

ChaixD

I imagine its like a laptop that only runs chrome but that would be kinda shitty so i wanna know exactly what it does and what diference is there to a normal laptop?

A Chromebook is a laptop of a different breed. Instead of Windows or Mac OS, Chromebooks run Google's Chrome OS. These machines are designed to be used primarily while connected to the Internet, with most applications and documents living in the cloud

A chrome book is a computer that runs ChromeOS and you have to do everything thru chrome and the only app store is the normal chrome app store. There are more things on a chrome book that is not on your browser. But you cannot use anything like Word or office, you have to use the google drive and google docs system. And i would recommend if you can, to get a normal laptop.

4 minutes ago, ChaixD said:

I imagine its like a laptop that only runs chrome but that would be kinda shitty so i wanna know exactly what it does and what diference is there to a normal laptop?

A Chromebook is a laptop of a different breed. Instead of Windows or Mac OS, Chromebooks run Google's Chrome OS. These machines are designed to be used primarily while connected to the Internet, with most applications and documents living in the cloud

Can the chrome os be installed on any pc? And what ups and downs will it have on a gaming pc?

Just now, ChaixD said:

Can the chrome os be installed on any pc? And what ups and downs will it have on a gaming pc?

no, google does not have any public builds for download.

I have a chromebook and REALLY like it. However, it's not a substitute for a windows PC #PCmasterrace

When people ask me about it, i say 'think of the ability to use the chrome browser and never quit'. Because that's basically all it is. It has no proper offline mode and pretty much must be connected to wifi at all times to be useful. It's a consumption device.

It does have a taskbar - so you can change basic computer settings like sound/bluetooth/wifi/screen settings etc. But for all intensive purposes, it's a chrome browser in a machine. It also has a small file manager which consists of "google drive", and a TEMPORARY downloads folder that automatically deletes old stuff. There is no ability to view the system files on the standard (un-rooted) device. USBs and SD cards also appear in the file manager

The other thing is, it's the only laptop i've ever owned that actually got the advertised power run-times.

Would i buy one? yes. Is it a substitute for a travel tablet or windows machine? no

28 minutes ago, Nicko_barbeque said:

Powered by chrome with software limitations... I have 2 friends with them and they strongly do NOT recommend them. They have big software problems...

The Goal of a chromebook is not the software

Chromebooks are great if you have a desktop

or if you only need what chrome offers since thier like 150$=300$ and run well.

Chromebooks are great if you don't buy a shitty one, and as long as you remember the purpose of one. 

22 minutes ago, davo1111 said:

I

Would i buy one? yes. Is it a substitute for a travel tablet or windows machine? no

Chrome Remote desktop to windows machine.

xD

i use the feature alll the time when im out of the house. 

I connect back to my house and use PS or sony vegas on my desktop from my chromebook

32 minutes ago, ChaixD said:

Not possible.
I don't think chrome OS allows for actual games anyway.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Just now, Gumi Rokkaku said:

Not possible.
I don't think chrome OS allows for actual games anyway.

You can but not official copies

Chrome OS can only play web Games. and the ones in the webstore

By then end of this year or next year it should support android games 

7 minutes ago, Arty said:

Chrome Remote desktop to windows machine.

haha yeah, i do it too. But it's a janky work around and lags with your internet connection

If you're away from internet, it's just easier to have a windows machine.

Just now, davo1111 said:

haha yeah, i do it too. But it's a janky work around and lags with your internet connection

If you're away from internet, it's just easier to have a windows machine.

yea definitely, but i can not remember the last i didn't have internet where i was using my chromebook lol.

Plus they have those free 4g for life chromebooks. 

1 minute ago, Arty said:

Plus they have those free 4g for life chromebooks. 

damn! I wish they had that here in Aus!

I used to take my chromebook to uni, and it was just a real PITA with a saturated wifi network. Google Docs isn't upto the same standard as libre/word either. 200mb would have been so much more convenient.

Just now, davo1111 said:

damn! I wish they had that here in Aus!

I used to take my chromebook to uni, and it was just a real PITA with a saturated wifi network. Google Docs isn't upto the same standard as libre/word either. 200mb would have been so much more convenient.

not all chromebooks have it i think just certain HP ones

I tether with my phone if i need too. and google docs gets everything i need done. xD

• 3 weeks later...

Chromebooks are great. They are as have been said, basically small laptops running a lightweight OS called Chrome OS. It is mainly online based, but can be used offline for things such as document and spreadsheet creation (I think google docs is great), media playback, the odd game. What I love about them is their simplicity, they just work. No antivirus needed, little to no maintenance, quick as hell as Chrome itself on them is optimized for the hardware and the battery life is straight out awesome. Easily 10 hours on most models. 

But one thing no one here has discussed is the customization possible. You don't have to run Chrome OS. Basically any Linux distro or Windows 8 upwards can be installed on the device with a little tinkering.  For example, Ubuntu runs great on them, if you want a portable, reliable, great battery life Linux based laptop, a Chromebook is your answer imo.