Static when adjusting volume only with certain headphones?

spwath

So my receiver produces a little static when adjusting the volume on bass heavy tracks such as the theme from Koyaanisqatsi or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The odd thing is, it only happens with my NVX Xpt100s and speakers, not my Fostex T50RP.
Any explination for that?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

So my receiver produces a little static when adjusting the volume on bass heavy tracks such as the theme from Koyaanisqatsi or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The odd thing is, it only happens with my NVX Xpt100s, not my Fostex T50RP.
Any explination for that?

Try plugging the xpt100 with a different source?

Just now, iShad said:

Try plugging the xpt100 with a different source?

It wont static, i should note, it also makes static for my speakers, just not my Fostex T50RP

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I doubt it but maybe the drivers are bad, otherwise perhaps the cable on the headphones is catching some interference, depends on if the cable is insulated enough. 

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

It wont static, i should note, it also makes static for my speakers, just not my Fostex T50RP

It's pretty common on low quality knobs, but I don't know why only the t50rp is exempts.

Just now, Iamdarkbowser said:

I doubt it but maybe the drivers are bad, otherwise perhaps the cable on the headphones is catching some interference, depends on if the cable is insulated enough. 

BUt happens with speakers as well.

Its a problem with the receiver, but Its weird that it doesnt happen on my Fostex T50RP

Just now, iShad said:

It's pretty common on low quality knobs, but I don't know why only the t50rp is exempts.

Yeah its odd... Doesnt make sence.

Doesnt really matter though, as no static is good static.

And I like these a lot better than the XPT100

I had it with a old radio I had, but it was because the volume knob is a analogue so moving it reduces the resistance and the metal didnt always touch so made a static noise when it didnt have a good contact.

The Dick of the audio page!

Just now, EndlessOyster said:

I had it with a old radio I had, but it was because the volume knob is a analogue so moving it reduces the resistance and the metal didnt always touch so made a static noise when it didnt have a good contact.

But the thing that doesnt make sence is that it doesnt happen with my T50RP's.

I think the static is from a volume pot issue, as even if I use the remote to control volume it happens, and only happens with bass heavy tracks.

1 hour ago, spwath said:

But the thing that doesnt make sence is that it doesnt happen with my T50RP's.

I think the static is from a volume pot issue, as even if I use the remote to control volume it happens, and only happens with bass heavy tracks.

Is there a large difference in sensitivity and/or impedance between the two headphones? I suspect that a combination of that plus a cheap pot and/or shitty head amp section topology are the culprit.

Best bet is to get a headphone amp hooked up to the line-out, if it has one.

9 hours ago, SSL said:

Is there a large difference in sensitivity and/or impedance between the two headphones? I suspect that a combination of that plus a cheap pot and/or shitty head amp section topology are the culprit.

Best bet is to get a headphone amp hooked up to the line-out, if it has one.

50 ohm, 97db for t50rp 64 ohm, 105db for xpt100