1600mhz RAM Running At 800mhz According To Task Manager

Go to solution Solved by MoonlightSylv,

DDR means Double data rate 2x800mhz=1600mhz

I have a FX-8320 and 4 sticks of 4gb g-skill ram. In my motherboards boot menu it says its running at 1600mhz, but once I open up windows task manager, it says speed of the ram is 800mhz. I cannot figure this out. Any idea if task manager is just wrong or if there is a setting I need to change. Any help would be appreciated. I have been using this PC since Christmas and just now noticed this today. When playing games there is no penalty that I can tell. Then again I guess I have been running at 800mhz ram speed.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Welp, I feel like an idiot. Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Just now, Orangeator said:

It's fine, I didn't know it until last year :P

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, Orangeator said:

Though technically, it's not 1600MHz. It's 1600MT/s.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Check check your ram with CPU-Z.

The new Win10 task manager will read it at 1600MHz.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I have a FX-8320 and 4 sticks of 4gb g-skill ram. In my motherboards boot menu it says its running at 1600mhz, but once I open up windows task manager, it says speed of the ram is 800mhz. I cannot figure this out. Any idea if task manager is just wrong or if there is a setting I need to change. Any help would be appreciated. I have been using this PC since Christmas and just now noticed this today. When playing games there is no penalty that I can tell. Then again I guess I have been running at 800mhz ram speed.

DDR (double data rate) means that the memory does 2 operations during each cycle, so the amount of data that can be transferred is as if the memory were running at double its actual frequency. 1600MHz is the effective frequency of your RAM. The actual operating frequency is 800MHz, and this is what software will read. In fact this is why if you look closely memory is generally not sold as "DDR3 1600MHz" but rather "DDR3 1600". It doesn't actually operate at 1600MHz.

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

DDR (double data rate) means that the memory does 2 operations during each cycle, so the amount of data that can be transferred is as if the memory were running at double its actual frequency. 1600MHz is the effective frequency of your RAM. The actual operating frequency is 800MHz, and this is what software will read. This is actually why if you look closely memory is generally not sold as "DDR3 1600MHz" but rather "DDR3 1600". It doesn't actually operate at 1600MHz.

I know a fair amount about computers, however I never knew this. I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain this.

• 6 years later...
On 2/11/2016 at 4:25 PM, MoonlightSylv said:

This is wrong, this is ENTIRELY WRONG. 
My Omen 15-cd015dx laptop has a single 2400mhz ram stick in it. 
and windows task manager says 2400mhz. 

So there is something going on for windows, and all the other 3rd party tools to say 800mhz using 2 sticks, when in theory it should be 1600mhz for both sticks. 

On 10/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, Hayze Productions said:

This is wrong, this is ENTIRELY WRONG. 
My Omen 15-cd015dx laptop has a single 2400mhz ram stick in it. 
and windows task manager says 2400mhz. 

So there is something going on for windows, and all the other 3rd party tools to say 800mhz using 2 sticks, when in theory it should be 1600mhz for both sticks. 

Don't wanna revive an old thread(and it's going to get locked), but you are incorrect about the claim that the individual is wrong.

DDR stands for Double Data Rate. The actual frequency will ABSOLUTELY be half of the effective frequency. In your case, if you look at how the laptop is advertised, it says "8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)". Notice how the speed doesn't have MHz attached to it? Because that's the effective frequency. The actual frequency is 1200MHz. This is how DDR works, and can be verified by researching it. As to why Windows shows the effective frequency, depends on what specific version of Windows you're using. Task Manager might behave differently and give the effective frequency, or the reporting to Windows is different.

I just opened Task Manager(Windows 10) and saw the effective frequency being displayed. If you open CPU-Z and navigate to the SPD tab, that will give the available profiles that can be used. Where it says Frequency, the number displayed is the actual frequency. To get the effective frequency, you multiply that number by 2. 

For me, I have XMP-3200 as available, so the actual frequency would be 1600MHz, which is what is displayed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

• 3 months later...
On 10/7/2022 at 9:09 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

In your case, if you look at how the laptop is advertised, it says "8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)". Notice how the speed doesn't have MHz attached to it? Because that's the effective frequency. The actual frequency is 1200MHz. This is how DDR works,

Don't wanna revive an old thread but you are incorrect about him being wrong. My laptop task manager says 2133MHz with 1 2400MHz stick installed while my desktop says 800MHz despite having 2x 1600 sticks installed with XMP enabled and overclock. I'm not sure why this is the case but can confirm without a doubt that it is the case. 

3 hours ago, Goombahdone said:

Don't wanna revive an old thread but you are incorrect about him being wrong. My laptop task manager says 2133MHz with 1 2400MHz stick installed while my desktop says 800MHz despite having 2x 1600 sticks installed with XMP enabled and overclock. I'm not sure why this is the case but can confirm without a doubt that it is the case. 

Task Manager is a terrible program to use for reporting frequencies. Use CPU-Z to gather that information in the and message it to me. I'll provide you with screenshots of what CPU-Z says for me too. 

The information I'm providing is literally how DDR works. It can be verified by researching DDR Memory.