60hz monitor making my 144hz monitor display at 60hz?!

BJH

Hi guys, I have recently purchased a 1080p 144hz GSYNC monitor (Acer XB240H) to compliment my 980ti, and all is good so far expect for one issue.

I have a secondary monitor that I use for web browsing, watching youtube and streams whilst gaming, and this is a 60hz monitor that is also 1080p (Acer S240HL).

Now my GSYNC monitor works perfectly at 144hz on desktop and in games, even with my second monitor is plugged in, PROVIDED there is no media playing on screen. As soon as I put ANY form of media on screen, and i mean anything from youtube videos to streams, it seems to mess with the refresh rate on my primary monitor and lock it to 60hz on the desktop, which is of course extremely annoying. My mouse cursor is still smooth and displaying at 144hz on my main screen, but any windows that I interact with are displaying at 60hz. When playing games in fullscreen with media playing on my second monitor, the games still seem to display at 144hz like normal, but every second or so CONSISTENTLY there is a stutter, and the display very slightly flashes, or pulses the backlight (pretty sure this pulsing is to do with gsync's way of dealing with stutters). This of course completely ruins my gameplay experience.

As soon as I minimize whatever content is playing on my second monitor (so it is still playing, just not on screen), my main monitor instantly becomes smooth again and operates at 144hz as it should.

If anyone can offer any help or advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)

NZXT H440+ 2015 Edition (Black/White) || i7 6700k @ 4Ghz || NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler || EVGA GTX 980ti SC || 16GB Kingston HyperX 2666MHz DDR4 || MSI Krait Gaming Z170A Motherboard || EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Modular || Corsair M65 RGB Mouse || Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset (White) || Steelseries Apex Raw Keyboard ||  Acer XB240H 1080p 144hz 24'' GSYNC Display || Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Do you have the same issues with G-Sync turned off?

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

4 minutes ago, Rodniz said:

Do you have the same issues with G-Sync turned off?

Yep, same issue even with Gsync off unfortunately. 

NZXT H440+ 2015 Edition (Black/White) || i7 6700k @ 4Ghz || NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler || EVGA GTX 980ti SC || 16GB Kingston HyperX 2666MHz DDR4 || MSI Krait Gaming Z170A Motherboard || EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Modular || Corsair M65 RGB Mouse || Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset (White) || Steelseries Apex Raw Keyboard ||  Acer XB240H 1080p 144hz 24'' GSYNC Display || Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Any other ideas?

bump!

how are you display profiles set up with Nvidia?

also - are you using HDMI, DP or DVI?

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

16 minutes ago, TinkleMyWinkle said:

how are you display profiles set up with Nvidia?

also - are you using HDMI, DP or DVI?

What do you mean by display profiles? I'm not too sure. 

I'm using display port for my main monitor (the 144hz one), and DVI-D for my second monitor. I thought this could possibly be an issue since the port on my GPU is DVI-I, but it seems to work fine.

When you right click on your desktop background, select NVIDIA Control Panel, under Display, select Change Resolution.

It'll kind of look like THIS:

Select the monitor in question.

Make sure that the refresh rates are set to 144HZ - I know for my BenQ I had to actually scroll down to PC (under Resolution) and select the resolution of my monitor to allow me to select a higher refresh rate.

Also, make sure your NVidia drivers are almost completely up to date - or read the patch notes and reviews the drivers and make sure its at least up to a stable and reliable driver release

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

3 hours ago, TinkleMyWinkle said:

When you right click on your desktop background, select NVIDIA Control Panel, under Display, select Change Resolution.

It'll kind of look like THIS:

Select the monitor in question.

Make sure that the refresh rates are set to 144HZ - I know for my BenQ I had to actually scroll down to PC (under Resolution) and select the resolution of my monitor to allow me to select a higher refresh rate.

Also, make sure your NVidia drivers are almost completely up to date - or read the patch notes and reviews the drivers and make sure its at least up to a stable and reliable driver release

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is definitely set to 144hz! I have tried a few different settings in here and none seem to have solved it unfortunately. I am also on the latest stable non-bets driver, so no luck there either. :(

6 hours ago, TinkleMyWinkle said:

Here's a couple of sites I found that MAY help, they're for older cards but may still apply to you :

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1636481

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2091110/monitors-refresh-rates-stutter.html

Thanks for the links, I had seen the first one already but have just looked into the second one now. Still no fix i'm afraid! I seem to have narrowed it down to it being a fault with Windows which does not like different refresh rates running together. Issue is that I still haven't seen a fix for this, and from what I have read there isn't one, it would need to be fixed by the OS. The only other thing I can think of is that NVIDIA could somehow make a workaround for this, but that I am unsure. It's a shame really.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I was wondering if you've had any luck in figuring out what was causing the issue? I have a pretty similar setup as you... 144hz BenQ as my primary along with 2 Asus 60hz monitors and a GTX 980. I'm having the same exact issue as you've described. 144hz displays properly as long as there is no media opened on the 60hz screens. If I have TeamSpeak, OBS, Twitch.tv, Youtube, etc. on either Asus 60 hz monitor it will make it seem as if the BenQ is operating at 60hz. I don't even have to close out the programs... they just need to be minimized in order for it to go back to normal. BenQ is using Display port and the other 2 are using HDMI. I've tried a DVI Dual link for the BenQ and tried swapping the Asus monitors between HDMI and Display Port but the issue is still there.

Disabling XBOX Game DVR as others have suggested in other forums has not helped. All drivers are updated as well. Let me know if you've made any progress.

Thanks.