Bought a dell xps 15 with 1tb hdd and 32gb ssd, I don't see the ssd

minimalist

So I'm thinking of replacing the 1TB hard drive with a 512gb ssd.  I was checking to see if the OS was installed on the 32GB SSD which would make things much easier but all I see is one disk labeled OS (C:).  How come the 32GB SSD isn't showing and why wouldn't the OS be installed on that?

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

10 minutes ago, minimalist said:

So I'm thinking of replacing the 1TB hard drive with a 512gb ssd.  I was checking to see if the OS was installed on the 32GB SSD which would make things much easier but all I see is one disk labeled OS (C:).  How come the 32GB SSD isn't showing and why wouldn't the OS be installed on that?

So you have a 512gb ssd yet only a 32gb ssd shows up?

right click the start button and click on disk management, post screenshot here. :) 

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

12 minutes ago, minimalist said:

wait do they even sell 32 gb ssds? 

how old is the laptop?

can u show us a screen shot of disk management?

to get to disk management: 

windows + r

diskmgmt.msc

Just now, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

So you have a 512gb ssd yet only a 32gb ssd shows up??

No.  I have a 1TB hard drive and a 32gb ssd.  the 1tb hard drive is removeable and I want to replace it with a 512gb ssd.  But when I checked to see where the OS was installed it's on the hard drive, not the ssd.  I'm wondering why, and also why the 32gb ssd isn't showing up

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

11 minutes ago, minimalist said:

So I'm thinking of replacing the 1TB hard drive with a 512gb ssd.  I was checking to see if the OS was installed on the SSD which would make things much easier but all I see is one disk labeled OS (C:).  How come that isn't showing and why wouldn't the OS be installed on that?

It could have been setup so the ssd is just a bootdrive

3 minutes ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

see if its even there physically

It is.  It's much smaller.  It's like the size of two sd cards

1 minute ago, Luke_H808 said:

It could have been setup so the ssd is just a bootdrive

This thing boots up super slow.  It seems like it's not even being used.

Just now, minimalist said:

It is.  It's much smaller.  It's like the size of two sd cards

is it even connected?

8 minutes ago, mikat said:

wait do they even sell 32 gb ssds? 

how old is the laptop?

can u show us a screen shot of disk management?

to get to disk management: 

windows + r

diskmgmt.msc

It only shows one disk. Disk 0

5 minutes ago, mikat said:

open the laptop and see if the drive is there.

I did last night, it is.