Can't play any media files!

Cubical Productions

Hello everyone! Seth here from Cubical Productions (on my laptop). I have a perplexing problem for you guys.

So, yesterday started completely normal. My computer shut off normally the night before, and I turned it on without a hitch after class to print out my script for the day's video. I finished filming, and came back to my computer to begin editing. Upon pulling up a video file, however, VLC played the first frame and froze. I could click commands, tell it to exit, do anything, but apart from closing the window, the process would remain, and I would have to shut it down manually. I attempted to play the file through Windows Media Player. Same story. Over the next hour, I tried different types of files from different locations on my computer, and I came up with the conclusion that my computer would not play any media files (music, video, etc.) whatsoever. I need to have this computer up, because it is the bulk of my computing ability that allows me to efficiently edit videos and post them.

On a side note, I ended up uninstalling java, because as soon as I attempted to browse the internet (which Java should not be involved in anyways due to being disabled for security reasons), Java would launch a blistering number of small separate instances, taxing my memory (16GB) to the maximum and nearly crashing my computer before closing out. Part of me did not believe that the media file issue and this are connected, but I launched a full system scan with Norton 360 anyways, which turned up nothing.

I read on some other online forums that the audio driver could be an issue, so I started working that end. By uninstalling/disabling all of my audio drivers, I could get the media files to play back, but without the drivers there will obviously be no sound, which is not an acceptable solution.

Over the course of the afternoon and evening (over six hours), I ended up doing the following, in this order:

• Updating all drivers and installing all available windows updates.
  • Rolling back my computer to earlier that day (the only system image available)
  • uninstalling Java
  • reinstalling the audio drivers (there are two: the nvidia one and the realtek one)
  • uninstalling the audio drivers (both of them)
  • performing a repair install of Windows 7 professional
  • performing a second full system scan

Through all of these, I was not able to get the videos to play back with the sound as I needed. Instead, the realtek audio driver would function during all of the startup noises, but as soon as I attempted to launch a media file or adjust volume, the driver would crash. Reinstalling did not fix the issue, and it seems that none of my audio drivers can be enabled when I attempt to open a media file. I even got the original manufacturer-recommended Realtek driver from the ASRock website (for my motherboard). Did not work. This all seems to have happened spontaneously and without warning. I'm possibly considering the fact that the audio card on my mobo is dead, but considering it plays the startup sounds just fine, I don't think that's an issue. It happens no matter what sound output I use.

Speaking of computer parts, here are my relevant specs:

Mobo: ASRock X99e-ITX/ac

Processor: Intel Core i7-5930K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)

GPU: EVGA 980Ti SC+

SSD: Samsung Evo 250GB

HDD: 2TB WD Black

If you guys could help me out, I would love you all forever! I'm really concerned about this computer because it was the first one that I have invested all of my own money into, and it was supposed to last me well through college, but instead it's already doing this in the first year.

Your time assisting me is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Seth

Cubical Productions

very professional missive my friend.

resetting windows you cant really go wrong with i just did two days ago because Photoshop wouldnt load. other than that dude i dont even know if this is a dianosable problem

3 minutes ago, Cubical Productions said:

Hello everyone! Seth here from Cubical Productions (on my laptop). I have a perplexing problem for you guys.

So, yesterday started completely normal. My computer shut off normally the night before, and I turned it on without a hitch after class to print out my script for the day's video. I finished filming, and came back to my computer to begin editing. Upon pulling up a video file, however, VLC played the first frame and froze. I could click commands, tell it to exit, do anything, but apart from closing the window, the process would remain, and I would have to shut it down manually. I attempted to play the file through Windows Media Player. Same story. Over the next hour, I tried different types of files from different locations on my computer, and I came up with the conclusion that my computer would not play any media files (music, video, etc.) whatsoever. I need to have this computer up, because it is the bulk of my computing ability that allows me to efficiently edit videos and post them.

On a side note, I ended up uninstalling java, because as soon as I attempted to browse the internet (which Java should not be involved in anyways due to being disabled for security reasons), Java would launch a blistering number of small separate instances, taxing my memory (16GB) to the maximum and nearly crashing my computer before closing out. Part of me did not believe that the media file issue and this are connected, but I launched a full system scan with Norton 360 anyways, which turned up nothing.

I read on some other online forums that the audio driver could be an issue, so I started working that end. By uninstalling/disabling all of my audio drivers, I could get the media files to play back, but without the drivers there will obviously be no sound, which is not an acceptable solution.

Over the course of the afternoon and evening (over six hours), I ended up doing the following, in this order:

• Updating all drivers and installing all available windows updates.
  • Rolling back my computer to earlier that day (the only system image available)
  • uninstalling Java
  • reinstalling the audio drivers (there are two: the nvidia one and the realtek one)
  • uninstalling the audio drivers (both of them)
  • performing a repair install of Windows 7 professional
  • performing a second full system scan

Through all of these, I was not able to get the videos to play back with the sound as I needed. Instead, the realtek audio driver would function during all of the startup noises, but as soon as I attempted to launch a media file or adjust volume, the driver would crash. Reinstalling did not fix the issue, and it seems that none of my audio drivers can be enabled when I attempt to open a media file. I even got the original manufacturer-recommended Realtek driver from the ASRock website (for my motherboard). Did not work. This all seems to have happened spontaneously and without warning. I'm possibly considering the fact that the audio card on my mobo is dead, but considering it plays the startup sounds just fine, I don't think that's an issue. It happens no matter what sound output I use.

Speaking of computer parts, here are my relevant specs:

Mobo: ASRock X99e-ITX/ac

Processor: Intel Core i7-5930K

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)

GPU: EVGA 980Ti SC+

SSD: Samsung Evo 250GB

HDD: 2TB WD Black

If you guys could help me out, I would love you all forever! I'm really concerned about this computer because it was the first one that I have invested all of my own money into, and it was supposed to last me well through college, but instead it's already doing this in the first year.

Your time assisting me is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Seth

Cubical Productions

I had this issue. Try uploading one of the videos to youtube and then listen to it you should hear it then install a new media player it should work then

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

4 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

I had this issue. Try uploading one of the videos to youtube and then listen to it you should hear it then install a new media player it should work then

Nope. As soon as I enabled the Realtek audio driver to do it, the video from YouTube would not play. And it's one of my own videos.

4 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

Nope. As soon as I enabled the Realtek audio driver to do it, the video from YouTube would not play. And it's one of my own videos.

Have you tried installing another media player? Some lightweight one for example

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

7 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Have you tried installing another media player? Some lightweight one for example

I have four primary media players on my computer,

1. VLC
  2. Windows Media Player
  3. iTunes
  4. QuickTime

None of them work. In fact, YouTube doesn't even work either. I doubt installing some other media player will fix the issue, as it has already been proven consistent across all of my installed players.

14 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

very professional missive my friend.

resetting windows you cant really go wrong with i just did two days ago because Photoshop wouldnt load. other than that dude i dont even know if this is a dianosable problem

That's true, but I have pretty much already reset windows with the repair install. If it was an OS issue, it should have been fixed by that.

22 minutes ago, Cubical Productions said:

That's true, but I have pretty much already reset windows with the repair install. If it was an OS issue, it should have been fixed by that.

well if it isnt an OS issue, then reset windows, that wipes your drive so no more problems

6 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

well if it isnt an OS issue, then reset windows, that wipes your drive so no more problems

If it comes to that, I will try it. I'd like to see, however, if there are any other possible solutions that people can think of. If I have to wipe my drives, I will have to spend a week reinstalling everything and moving data, and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

At this point, I have determined that after the startup sounds, all sound related programs and files crash, including the Windows Audio mixer or audio devices panel. I'm inclined to believe that because none of my other attempted OS fixes and other such repairs have worked, my onboard audio card may be dead. I'll be taking it into my local Microcenter to have it checked out. I'll also probably be getting a new mobo. Thankfully I bought the warranty, so this thing should be replaced for free.

17 minutes ago, Cubical Productions said:

At this point, I have determined that after the startup sounds, all sound related programs and files crash, including the Windows Audio mixer or audio devices panel. I'm inclined to believe that because none of my other attempted OS fixes and other such repairs have worked, my onboard audio card may be dead. I'll be taking it into my local Microcenter to have it checked out. I'll also probably be getting a new mobo. Thankfully I bought the warranty, so this thing should be replaced for free.

Have you reinstalled windows?