[Canon EOS] Can someone explain this?

Indus Monk

I bought a EOS 1200D, Everyone had suggested me the "NIKON D5300"; But my uncle (who was a photographer for the Indian army for 40 years) told me to go for canon. Was buying a 1200D a bad idea? Should i have waited a little longer and gone for a EOS 700D or a Nikon Equivalent? Also, What are the differences between two canon DLSR Bodies? What are the technical factors that make one DSLR body better than the other (i know a thing or two about lenses and i don't think lens is that much of a factor)?

I am still a noob though and these are what i consider as my best shots:

IMG_1037.thumb.JPG.f894fddadd1f274a5df9e

IMG_1038.thumb.JPG.1559b212c6eff07be0ff3IMG_1114.thumb.JPG.28a3fed2992ec29d843e8

tell me how i can improve without spending any money...

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

1 minute ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

(i know a thing or two about lenses and i don't think lens is that much of a factor)?

I am a pretty noob when it Comes to cameras, but I am pretty sure they are a huge factor

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Just now, C0LL0SS0S said:

I am a pretty noob when it Comes to cameras, but I am pretty sure they are a huge factor

i think someone may disapprove of that... but still, i can be wrong

With my knowledge of camera's this is my method of thinking of them all:

Does the picture look cool > It's good

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

11 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

With my knowledge of camera's this is my method of thinking of them all:

Does the picture look cool > It's good

kinda bad analogy

7 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

kinda bad analogy

Yes but for my feeble non camera orientated mind it works. I only know it works because I have never bought a camera in my life xDxD

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

2 hours ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

I bought a EOS 1200D, Everyone had suggested me the "NIKON D5300"; But my uncle (who was a photographer for the Indian army for 40 years) told me to go for canon. Was buying a 1200D a bad idea? Should i have waited a little longer and gone for a EOS 700D or a Nikon Equivalent? Also, What are the differences between two canon DLSR Bodies? What are the technical factors that make one DSLR body better than the other (i know a thing or two about lenses and i don't think lens is that much of a factor)?

The differences between two digital cameras would be sensor size, megapixel count, how different brands have different algorithms for handling noise produced at high ISO, the RAW format they use, the lens mounts...

NONE of which are essentially important for a beginner.  Even pros don't really care about them as much as people might think.  What matters most are:

• Do you know how to use your camera and get the most out of it?
  • Do you know its limitations and what it is capable of doing?
  • Are you a good photographer and know various photography techniques?

In the end, the camera is just a tool.  What matters most is your vision in creating a photographic piece of art.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

6 minutes ago, ALwin said:

The differences between two digital cameras would be sensor size, megapixel count, how different brands have different algorithms for handling noise produced at high ISO, the RAW format they use, the lens mounts...

NONE of which are essentially important for a beginner.  Even pros don't really care about them as much as people might think.  What matters most are:

• Do you know how to use your camera and get the most out of it?
  • Do you know its limitations and what it is capable of doing?
  • Are you a good photographer and know various photography techniques?

In the end, the camera is just a tool.  What matters most is your vision in creating a photographic piece of art.

i once heard that the DSLR development has been really stagnated for a while... Is that why even the pros don't care about the body technicalities and only care about lenses?

Also which is better?

NikonD5300 or Canon EOS 1200D? Should i have waited and saved up more for a EOS 700D

An lastly; whatever is written in Red; is that all bullshit?

5 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

i once heard that the DSLR development has been really stagnated for a while... Is that why even the pros don't care about the body technicalities and only care about lenses?

Also which is better?

NikonD5300 or Canon EOS 1200D? Should i have waited and saved up more for a EOS 700D

An lastly; whatever is written in Red; is that all bullshit?

You buy the camera you can afford and are comfortable using.

Pros don't care because what matters for us are the photos we give to our clients or the photos we take for our enjoyment of taking photos.  We're happy using whatever camera we feel comfortable using, and we have a good idea on "picking the right tool for the job" due to our experience.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

You buy the camera you can afford and are comfortable using.

Pros don't care because what matters for us are the photos we give to our clients.  We're happy using whatever camera we feel comfortable using.

Conclusion i drew:

Canon and Nikon flamewars will persist. It's fine to go with either.

D5300 is definitely better.

Just now, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Conclusion i drew:

Canon and Nikon flamewars will persist. It's fine to go with either.

Yep.

For photography, nearly all modern digital cameras have more or less the same performance with differences mainly depending on sensor size.

For video using photo cameras... read the guide in my signature.

1 minute ago, .spider. said:

D5300 is definitely better.

in your opinion, yes. but like i said:

"Canon and Nikon flamewars will persist. It's fine to go with either."

1 minute ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

You already own a Canon 1200D?  Keep using it until it dies or you understand what you really need in a camera that the 1200D doesn't have, then you upgrade.

Just now, ALwin said:

You already own a Canon 1200D?  Keep using it until it dies or you understand what you really need in a camera that the 1200D doesn't have, then you upgrade.

i already do. And i guess i will just go with better lenses.

Whatever is in RED; is that advisable?

Just now, AmbarChakrabarti said:

i already do. And i guess i will just go with better lenses.

Whatever is in RED; is that advisable?

What is a better lens?  If you only have the kit lens, yes there are some lenses that offer better capabilities than the kit 18-55 lens.  But of course they come with a price.  For example, these two lenses will be better than the 18-55 kit lens.  You also need to know which focal lengths you need for the task at hand.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425812-USA/Canon_1242B002AA_EF_S_17_55mm_f_2_8_IS.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967344-REG/sigma_18_35mm_f1_8_dc_hsm.html

Oh and I forgot to mention in my previous comment, sometimes the limitation of a camera can be overcome with the utilization of photography techniques and tricks.  For example, low dynamic range sensor can be overcome by bracketing exposure and editing using HDR or Exposure Fusion techniques.

11 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

The Nikon's sensor is just better. 

2 hours ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

the d5300 is a far better camera than the canon 1200d is pretty much every aspect and this is coming from a canon shooter. The 1200d is just a very poor performer especially by today's standards. The 700d/t5i is the cheapest i would go in the canon lineup of dslr's.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

50 minutes ago, bob345 said:

the d5300 is a far better camera than the canon 1200d is pretty much every aspect and this is coming from a canon shooter. The 1200d is just a very poor performer especially by today's standards. The 700d/t5i is the cheapest i would go in the canon lineup of dslr's.

While comparing the "technical" aspects of the camera, the D5300 is better than the 1200D, in the end it comes down to "in the right hands either camera is capable of taking great photos".  One of the photos below is taken by the D5300, one by the 1200D/T5 and one by a much older camera.

4039028173_7c3fe8ffe5_b.jpg

14388504269_bc272352c9_k.jpg

21474914390_4b0030cb1f_k.jpg

Here are more photos from the same 3 cameras:

20275679483_95f527f7ed_k.jpg

16061275191_fb11287c80_k.jpg

6136114758_40ea6bd8fb_b.jpg

@AmbarChakrabarti, if you need more reassurance that you did not make the wrong choice, read this discussion.

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00cvQA

Worst example images of all time 

4 hours ago, ALwin said:

Here are more photos from the same 3 cameras:

It is definitely possible for a professional to get amazing results out of any camera, but it is very different when it comes to a beginner. The image quality is a non issue. The problem is usability and practicality from a beginners standpoint. How reliable is the auto focus? How is it in a dim environment?, how easy is it to use for a beginner?, how easy is it to share photos quickly? These are some of the things that may be more important to a beginner than what kind of images the camera can take when given to a professional photographer.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

5 hours ago, bob345 said:

It is definitely possible for a professional to get amazing results out of any camera, but it is very different when it comes to a beginner. The image quality is a non issue. The problem is usability and practicality from a beginners standpoint. How reliable is the auto focus? How is it in a dim environment?, how easy is it to use for a beginner?, how easy is it to share photos quickly? These are some of the things that may be more important to a beginner than what kind of images the camera can take when given to a professional photographer.

all that stuff is stuff i don't really care about anymore. It is usable, auto focus is best left OFF though, A dim environment can be dealt with 0.3 sec shutter speed and a tripod, It was actually not very hard to use at all, sharing stuff is easy due to the fact that i use a micro-sd card (but i think this objection is not necessary). As for what was important to me? learning to take stills and do it right. And hey, if the pros aren't worried about these things, then i am not either, even though i am just a beginner.

5 hours ago, bob345 said:

all that stuff is stuff i don't really care about anymore. It is usable, auto focus is best left OFF though, A dim environment can be dealt with 0.3 sec shutter speed and a tripod, It was actually not very hard to use at all, sharing stuff is easy due to the fact that i use a micro-sd card (but i think this objection is not necessary). As for what was important to me? learning to take stills and do it right. And hey, if the pros aren't worried about these things, then i am not either, even though i am just a beginner.