Looking to upgrade on an older PC.

UndeadNick

Hello everyone!

I currently have a GeForce 9500 GT on this older computer that my brother uses. But I want to upgrade,and my budget isn't really a lot. I have found the GeForce GT 730 that looked nice,and I'm questioning if it would be compatible with the motherboard. The Motherboard is an ASUS P5K3 Deluxe.

Could anybody with a little more knowledge tell me if I should buy that or give me other suggestions in the same price range?

Thank you in advance!

6 minutes ago, UndeadNick said:

Hello everyone!

I currently have a GeForce 9500 GT on this older computer that my brother uses. But I want to upgrade,and my budget isn't really a lot. I have found the GeForce GT 730 that looked nice,and I'm questioning if it would be compatible with the motherboard. The Motherboard is an ASUS P5K3 Deluxe.

Could anybody with a little more knowledge tell me if I should buy that or give me other suggestions in the same price range?

Thank you in advance!

Assuming you're in the US you can probably find something spectacular for $60-70 used. Buying a brand new GT 730, while relatively safe, really won't yield much improvement since its a card meant for a media PC or general use. I would assume your brother is interested in playing some games since you're looking to upgrade his video card. 

I would suggest looking for something like a 7870, 7850, or R9 270 or 270x if you can find one. 

Make sure your power supply has 1 6 pin cable and it should be around 300-350 watts. 

I really depends on your area and at least where I live you can find these for $50. 

EDIT: To answer your original question, yes that motherboard supports modern graphics cards. Just be mindful of the case it's installed in and the power supply requirements. 

You could put it in. Although it's a PCI-E 1.0 slot, but that won't really matter. Only a speed difference from the card. Otherwise you can put it in if you want to.

39 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It might be helpful if you told us what else is in the PC

It's a really old pc,like 7-8 years old.

It got it custom made back then,so it's still close to decent today.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 ghz

Memory: 6 GB ram(only thing I got upgraded)

Motherboard: ASUS P5K3 Deluxe

43 minutes ago, ShadyHost said:

Assuming you're in the US you can probably find something spectacular for $60-70 used. Buying a brand new GT 730, while relatively safe, really won't yield much improvement since its a card meant for a media PC or general use. I would assume your brother is interested in playing some games since you're looking to upgrade his video card. 

I would suggest looking for something like a 7870, 7850, or R9 270 or 270x if you can find one. 

Make sure your power supply has 1 6 pin cable and it should be around 300-350 watts. 

I really depends on your area and at least where I live you can find these for $50. 

EDIT: To answer your original question, yes that motherboard supports modern graphics cards. Just be mindful of the case it's installed in and the power supply requirements. 

I am from the EU,Romania to be exact. I wouldn't really risk getting used parts,I've even had some problems buying new,so I don't know about that. I looked for this because I am not looking for running newer games on it,my borther only plays stuff like CS:GO really,but want to upgrade this because you can really tell the age on it,even though it took it like a champ so far,it won't go much longer. I will though look for the ones you suggested me,so thank you!

11 minutes ago, UndeadNick said:

That still is good.  If you watched scrapyard wars,  you know that the e8400 faired "relatively well",  especially if paired with something weaker than a 290 like luke did.  IMO,  you should try to find something like an hd 7870 or higher.  

Edit : also adding an ssd will make the pc faster. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

22 minutes ago, UndeadNick said:

Just because you got it custom made doesn't make it decent. I built many a Pentium 4 box back in the day, one of which I kept. 

It won't hold back something as phenomenally underpowered as a GT 730, but you aren't playing anything new on the Duo 8400. 

Edited by Aereldor