How does a graphic card's Vram get used?

Consta

To better put it, let's say I'm playing a graphically intensive game like Witcher III, what consumes most of the Vram? The textures? Shifting of scenery when you rotate the camera? Or just the game itself as a whole.

Also how does Vram work, why having more is better?

Is it somewhat similar to RAM or a completely different thing?

Thanks in advance! :)

Each 1080p frame is 8.4MB
60fps = 8.4x60=504MB used at all time when getting 60fps

Textures, Shadows, AA, all of that is also info which the GPU has to process and store in VRAM as well.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Each 1080p frame is 8.4MB
60fps = 8.4x60=504MB used at all time when getting 60fps

Textures, Shadows, AA, all of that is also info which the GPU has to process and store in VRAM as well.

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Consta said:

To better put it, let's say I'm playing a graphically intensive game like Witcher III, what consumes most of the Vram? The textures? Shifting of scenery when you rotate the camera? Or just the game itself as a whole.

Also how does Vram work, why having more is better?

Is it somewhat similar to RAM or a completely different thing?

Thanks in advance! :)

Vram is very similar to your system ram. Vram holds information for the gpu, just like how system ram holds information for the cpu. The reason why your gpu has its own vram is because its faster for the gpu to get its data directly from itself instead of going to the system ram for its data and what not.

So, what uses vram? Basically everything from resolution and textures to things like anti aliasing. But, the thing that consumes the most vram is resolution and things like high quality texture packs and higher levels of MSAA ( Multisample Anti Aliasing ), where the resolution and resolutions of the textures are higher and for MSAA, more pixels being squeezed into the screen for smooth out jagged edges, and thus, using more vram. For example, running in 1080p will use less vram as compared to 4k, as 1080p has lesser pixel density compared to 4k. Having more pixels in your screen will use up more vram, resulting in poorer performance, which is why more vram is better as you are able to run higher resolutions with better performance compared to a card with less vram.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

36 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Did someone say a GPU stores 1 second worth of previous frames before dumping them? :P

I made an assumption :)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6