Lynda.com

JoshK

Im 16 and have gotten my parents to graciously pay for lynda.com premium for a year. I am currently running an Instagram page based around PC Gaming for almost 2 years now with about 15.5 thousand followers and branching off of that I am starting youtube. I am currently taking a few courses at once right now including fundamentals of photography: exposure, Premiere Pro CC fundamentals, and I am currently working of Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals. Going off on a little tangent here, even though I am working with simple JavaScript, this has been so much fun seeing how something like simple text in notepad can be transformed into a working program and I am excited to learn more. Anyways, back to what I was saying, I have learned a lot, and I would like to get some tips to not only retain more information as I feel like once I actually go to apply some of these skills, I dont remember some and the videos dont really do a review, but also finding more courses that will be up my alley and wont waste my time. Thanks guys

Well I haven't used Lynda.com myself, but I can say that programming can be a really useful skill at times. Even just learning the basics can allow you to write some custom scripts to speed up some repetitive or time consuming tasks at work. But just a general tip would be to make sure to practice what you learn quickly and often if at all possible. So don't try to learn to much about editing or programming without trying it yourself and practicing a bit, although I'd image the courses are already pushing you in that direction from the sample I looked at on video editing it seemed like a guided tutorial combined with the course.

1 minute ago, Spartancloud said:

Well I haven't used Lynda.com myself, but I can say that programming can be a really useful skill at times. Even just learning the basics can allow you to write some custom scripts to speed up some repetitive or time consuming tasks at work. But just a general tip would be to make sure to practice what you learn quickly and often if at all possible. So don't try to learn to much about editing or programming without trying it yourself and practicing a bit, although I'd image the courses are already pushing you in that direction from the sample I looked at on video editing it seemed like a guided tutorial combined with the course.

Yes, I do use the exercise files along with it, but even then, some of the tools and hotkeys are just hard to remember, practice is certainly key so I guess if youre not in school or doing this as your job and doing it very repetitively, then youre not going to retain it. At least Im learning the basic use and all the different tools and tips on being more efficient. 

24 minutes ago, JoshK said:

Im 16 and have gotten my parents to graciously pay for lynda.com premium for a year. I am currently running an Instagram page based around PC Gaming for almost 2 years now with about 15.5 thousand followers and branching off of that I am starting youtube. I am currently taking a few courses at once right now including fundamentals of photography: exposure, Premiere Pro CC fundamentals, and I am currently working of Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals. Going off on a little tangent here, even though I am working with simple JavaScript, this has been so much fun seeing how something like simple text in notepad can be transformed into a working program and I am excited to learn more. Anyways, back to what I was saying, I have learned a lot, and I would like to get some tips to not only retain more information as I feel like once I actually go to apply some of these skills, I dont remember some and the videos dont really do a review, but also finding more courses that will be up my alley and wont waste my time. Thanks guys

15k followers 0_o chicks gonna dig 4 that m8

1 minute ago, JoshK said:

Yes, I do use the exercise files along with it, but even then, some of the tools and hotkeys are just hard to remember, practice is certainly key so I guess if youre not in school or doing this as your job and doing it very repetitively, then youre not going to retain it. At least Im learning the basic use and all the different tools and tips on being more efficient. 

Hotkeys and stuff like that will come with time though, but I'm assuming you're learning this to improve your youtube videos and instagram pictures so just make sure to keep making content for those applying what you learnt and you should continue to improve. And that will be added practice on top of what the course offers, even if you just make stuff for yourself to try out new thing without needing to post it works too. The key is to have projects to work on for practice, preferably something you want the end result to be better than if you were just doing another sample tutorial that they provide.