I am really not sure whether or not I can upgrade the ram on this laptop

Hulkbert

So after looking on the internet and asking some questions I still don't know whether or not I can upgrade the ram on this laptop. I got conflicting results and apparently nobody knows how much battery life this laptop has.

Laptop

Thanks for the help.

Screenshot_13.png

Screenshot_12.png

Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_9.png

Umm, wtf Best Buy, it clearly says up to 16GB xD (unless that's laptop configurations or something)

As long as the RAM is DDR3L and 1600MHz, I'd assume it should be fine. Might want to know how to replace the RAM in the laptop to make sure it's even possible.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

5 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

You dont really need to upgrade the ram, the rest of the system wont be able to keep up anyway.

Why wouldn't  it? Please do elaborate.

Just now, Hulkbert said:

Why wouldn't  it? Please do elaborate.

Well upgrading to more ram will in no way speed up your system unless you're going over the maximum at any given time, for a computer like yours, which is geared toward web browsing and light gaming, you wont fill up that ram... ever. and if you do fill the ram you'll be doing things that your system really isnt capable of.

22 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

You dont really need to upgrade the ram, the rest of the system wont be able to keep up anyway.

What do you mean "keep up"? I mean yea higher speed ram doesn't make much of a difference, but most people looking to upgrade their ram(atleast that I've seen) aren't doing it to speed up their system. That would just be dumb. Ram can however help with multi-tasking. So if like me, this guy wants to have  bunch of different applications and internet tabs open at once, he can do that easier with more ram. In addition to this it can help with video editing as well as many other specific applications. So correct me if I'm wrong(I could be, and I have been before), unless this guy is under the delusion that ram magically makes his computer run faster(along with the lightning blots painted on the case for an additional 10 FPS) then "speed", and "keeping up" are pretty irrelevant...

edit:

Well upgrading to more ram will in no way speed up your system unless you're going over the maximum at any given time, for a computer like yours, which is geared toward web browsing and light gaming, you wont fill up that ram... ever. and if you do fill the ram you'll be doing things that your system really isnt capable of.

So you have no idea what this guy uses his computer for as he hasn't told you, and yet you assume he is using it for gaming and web browsing. And then you assume hes dumb enough to think that ram is a magic speed boost? Srsly wtf? Were here to give this guy advice, not write his biography.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

What do you mean "keep up"? I mean yea higher speed ram doesn't make much of a difference, but most people looking to upgrade their ram(atleast that I've seen) aren't doing it to speed up their system. That would just be dumb. Ram can however help with multi-tasking. So if like me, this guy wants to have  bunch of different applications and internet tabs open at once, he can do that easier with more ram. In addition to this it can help with video editing as well as many other specific applications. So correct me if I'm wrong(I could be, and I have been before), unless this guy is under the delusion that ram magically makes his computer run faster(along with the lightning blots painted on the case for an additional 10 FPS) then "speed", and "keeping up" are pretty irrelevant...

That laptop isnt even capable of heavy video editing and you CAN multitask very well on 4 gigs of ram. I'll run a little test right now and see how many tabs I have to open to get up to 4 gigs usage on my computer

And you said correct me if I'm wrong, so there you go XP

So does anyone know how long the battery life will last me on this laptop?

Because apparently best buy doesn't know anything about their laptops' battery life.

8 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

edit:

So you have no idea what this guy uses his computer for as he hasn't told you, and yet you assume he is using it for gaming and web browsing. And then you assume hes dumb enough to think that ram is a magic speed boost? Srsly wtf? Were here to give this guy advice, not write his biography.

Ok, I managed to get 40 tabs of linustechtips forums main page open before I went over 4 gigs of ram.

And yes I do think that this person is a little bit confused about what ram will do for his system.

http://imgur.com/ciTBjOF

26 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:
22 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

That laptop isnt even capable of heavy video editing and you CAN multitask very well on 4 gigs of ram. I'll run a little test right now and see how many tabs I have to open to get up to 4 gigs usage on my computer

And you said correct me if I'm wrong, so there you go XP

Ok, maybe its not the best video editing laptop. Thats fair. But I'm absolutely calling bullshit on the ability to multi-task with 4 gigs. Don't try to tell me you can lol. I've lived with various 4 gig laptops for quite some time before I finally built my desktop which has 8 gigs, and my primary reason for upgrading believe it or not, was my complete inability to multitask. Maybe you find a systems sorry attempt to multitask on 4 gigs adequate, but I found it downright crippling. Go ahead and open a crapton of tabs to try to get to 4 gigs usage, but that's not a realistic depiction of what the average person who does a lot of multitasking is gonna do. When I log onto my computer I don't just load firefox and start clicking all my bookmarks. If you wanna get an accurate depiction of multitasking on 4 gigs then great, start with a game or two. Then load a bunch of internet tabs(maybe 10?). Then throw in screen recording software. And how about a few word documents? Maybe a powerpoint? You tell me how your 4 gigs is doing after all that.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

Ok, maybe its not the best video editing laptop. Thats fair. But I'm absolutely calling bullshit on the ability to multi-task with 4 gigs. Don't try to tell me you can lol. I've lived with various 4 gig laptops for quite some time before I finally built my desktop which has 8 gigs, and my primary reason for upgrading believe it or not, was my complete inability to multitask. Maybe you find a systems sorry attempt to multitask on 4 gigs adequate, but I found it downright crippling. Go ahead and open a crapton of tabs to try to get to 4 gigs usage, but that's not a realistic depiction of what the average person who does a lot of multitasking is gonna do. When I log onto my computer I don't just load firefox and start clicking all my bookmarks. If you wanna get an accurate depiction of multitasking on 4 gigs then great, start with a game or two. Then load a bunch of internet tabs. Then throw in screen recording software. And how about a few word documents? Maybe a powerpoint? You tell me how your 4 gigs is doing after all that.

Sure thing pal! let me get right on that.

6 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Ok, I managed to get 40 tabs of linustechtips forums main page open before I went over 4 gigs of ram.

And yes I do think that this person is a little bit confused about what ram will do for his system.

http://imgur.com/ciTBjOF

Right now, on my ivy bridge i5, with a LTT forum tab,youtube tab, and an Imgur tab; I am using 3 gb of ram. I know that in AMD apus the ram matters, a lot because the iGPU draws from that ram.

Also, does anyone know the battery life I should expect from using light applications on that laptop?

16 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Sure thing pal! let me get right on that.

If you report back that your able to do all that on 4 gigs, then I'd really like the details of your system btw. Because that means that either you know something I don't and I really need to learn from you, or your lying to me. Either way, I wanna get to the bottom of this. Hopefully I'm not coming across as hostile btw, just extremely skeptical based on personal experience.

edit:

Also, does anyone know the battery life I should expect from using light applications on that laptop?

Sorry m8, I don't even know what math I'd need to do to even go about calculating that...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Ok, maybe its not the best video editing laptop. Thats fair. But I'm absolutely calling bullshit on the ability to multi-task with 4 gigs. Don't try to tell me you can lol. I've lived with various 4 gig laptops for quite some time before I finally built my desktop which has 8 gigs, and my primary reason for upgrading believe it or not, was my complete inability to multitask. Maybe you find a systems sorry attempt to multitask on 4 gigs adequate, but I found it downright crippling. Go ahead and open a crapton of tabs to try to get to 4 gigs usage, but that's not a realistic depiction of what the average person who does a lot of multitasking is gonna do. When I log onto my computer I don't just load firefox and start clicking all my bookmarks. If you wanna get an accurate depiction of multitasking on 4 gigs then great, start with a game or two. Then load a bunch of internet tabs. Then throw in screen recording software. And how about a few word documents? Maybe a powerpoint? You tell me how your 4 gigs is doing after all that.

Ok, I have a game, skype, all of my hardware utilities, I'm recording the game, and I've got 5 tabs open in chrome, and I'm burning a disc in power iso, didnt get over 2.7 gigs. http://imgur.com/m2afnPn

3 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Ok, I have a game, skype, all of my hardware utilities, I'm recording the game, and I've got 5 tabs open in chrome, and I'm burning a disc in power iso, didnt get over 2.7 gigs. http://imgur.com/m2afnPn

What are the specs of your system?

Just now, Hulkbert said:

What are the specs of your system?

MSI R9 380 graphics card

AMD FX-6300 processor

8 Gigs DDR3 1600 MHz ram

gigabyte GA 990 FXA UD3 R5 mobo

2 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

MSI R9 380 graphics card

AMD FX-6300 processor

8 Gigs DDR3 1600 MHz ram

gigabyte GA 990 FXA UD3 R5 mobo

keep in mind that an APU will use more ram (to obtain the same performance I assume)because the iGPU is also using  that ram unlike your system which your gpu has its own ram.

Just now, Hulkbert said:

keep in mind that an APU will use more ram (to obtain the same performance I assume)because the iGPU is also using  that ram unlike your system which your gpu has its own ram.

Well, you've got 1.3 gigabytes of headroom there. Mind you a gigabyte is a LOT.

14 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Well I know nothing about the ram usage of burning a disk, and I highly doubt that your hardware utilities were using much at all. I got no idea what game you loaded, but just based on what I saw, it certainly doesnt LOOK like it was, or even should use up much ram, lol. These numbers really arn't surprising lol, nor are they a realistic test of what someone doing a lot of multi-tasking would really experience. Your saying "look at this! I only used 2.7 gigs of ram while using a very small number of internet tabs, one crappy game, a background application, and I burned a disk." Quite frankly its sad, and kinda shows my point, that even a load that was intentionally made to be very light on ram usage in order to try to disprove my point STILL ended up using almost 3/4 of your memory.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

2 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Well, you've got 1.3 gigabytes of headroom there. Mind you a gigabyte is a LOT.

how much ram do you suppose the iGPU will use while under normal load?

Just now, Hulkbert said:

how much ram do you suppose the iGPU will use while under normal load?

Not much, my graphics card only has 4 gigabytes and it has a 2GB model that people have reported no difference in performance on, and thats in AAA titles, not anything light that your laptop is capable of.

2 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Well I know nothing about the ram usage of burning a disk, and I highly doubt that your hardware utilities were using much at all. I got no idea what game you loaded, but just based on what I saw, it certainly doesnt LOOK like it was, or even should use up much ram, lol. These numbers really arn't surprising lol, nor are they a realistic test of what someone doing a lot of multi-tasking would really experience. Your saying "look at this! I only used 2.7 gigs of ram while using a very small number of internet tabs, one crappy game, a background application, and I burned a disk." Quite frankly its sad, and kinda shows my point, that even a load that was intentionally made to be very light on ram usage in order to try to disprove my point STILL ended up using almost 3/4 of your memory.

Please stop being a jerk, you wanted me to do a bunch of light tasks and I did. And thats a nintendo 64 game F-Zero X so no, it shouldnt use up that much ram. none at all actually my GPU had it covered. Tell me EXACTLY what you want me to open up and I'll see what my ram usage goes up too. And one rule: it has to be something that laptop can easily handle.

1 minute ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Not much, my graphics card only has 4 gigabytes and it has a 2GB model that people have reported no difference in performance on, and thats in AAA titles, not anything light that your laptop is capable of.

Regardless if I should upgrade the ram, I still don't know if I can.