[Review] ASRock H97M Pro 4, cheap but good

MoonlightSylv

I wanted to write a review on this so I am.

I've has the ASRock H97M Pro 4 for a couple months and It's worlds better than my old motherboard, maybe because it was an HP LGA755 prebuilt board... But I did manage to find both pros and cons of this board.

Specs as listed on the ASRock site:

Spoiler
  1. ASRock Super Alloy
    - Premium Alloy Choke (Reduces 70% core loss compared to iron powder choke)
    - NexFET™ MOSFET
    - Sapphire Black PCB
  2. Supports 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron®Processors (Socket 1150)
  3. Supports New 4th and 4th Generation Intel® Xeon®/Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors (Socket 1150)
  4. Solid Capacitor design, Digi Power
  5. Supports Dual Channel DDR3/DDR3L 1600
  6. 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 PCI
  7. Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™
  8. Graphics Output Options: D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI
  9. Supports Triple Monitor
  10. 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps
  11. Intel® Gigabit LAN
  12. 6 SATA3, 6 USB 3.0 (2 Front, 4 Rear), 6 USB 2.0 (4 Front, 2 Rear)
  13. 1 Printer Port Header, 1 COM Port Header, 1 Thunderbolt™ AIC Connector
  14. Supports ASRock Full Spike Protection, ASRock Cloud, APP Shop, A-Tuning, Full HD UEFI

Software:

After I installed the i3-4170 and RAM, I put it in my case (Rosewill Ranger-M at the time) and loaded into the UEFI-BIOS. The BIOS was well organized but the temps weren't accurate as I ran HWMonitor and even their own A-Tuning software and they reported around 10c less than the BIOS, a BIOS update didn't fix this either. The A-Tuning software is surprisingly good though, aside from the gimmicky features like the X-Fast lan/ram, the fan tuning worked great and made it easy to get good temps and good acoustics. The disk help report was OK, it "caution-ed" my 2nd HDD because of an old Linux partition. The OC-tweaker tab seems like it's for more expensive boards but you can still seem to underclock your CPU, but I wouldn't recommend it. The System Info tab is surprisingly accurate in terms of temps as it shows the same as HWMonitor and shows the same information in a more simple way. The App-shop is good for BIOS and some Driver updates but the apps are mostly gimmicky stuff that I wouldn't touch.

Hardware:

The actual board looks great and goes great with my Black/Blue themed PC, but the layout of some connectors are odd. The HD-Audio port is ABOVE the primary PCI-e port, WHY!? Right beside that there is a 3-pin fan header which also makes NO SENSE! But aside from that the layout is pretty good, the other fan headers are in OK placement, as 3 of them are at the top, not 1 or 2 on the side. The other connectors are in pretty good placements and I like the way the SATA ports are facing the side of the board instead of up. The 4 RAM slots are good for expansion and the board supports 2-way Crossfire which I like, but a thing to note is the bottom PCI-e port is PCI-e 16x 2.0 not 3.0. The IO layout on the back is good, and I'm pretty satisfied with this board.

Pros:

• 4 DDR3/L DIMM slots
  • Crossfire support
  • Looks good
  • Good UEFI BIOS
  • Good config software
  • DVI-D, HDMI, and VGA
  • 4 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports
  • 7.1 HD audio
  • Intel Gigabit LAN
  • Thunderbolt card support
  • Swappable BIOS chip

Cons:

• Bad HD Audio header placement
  • Inaccurate UEFI BIOS temps
  • 2nd slot PCI-e is 16x 2.0
  • Gimmicky apps

Would I reccomend it: Yes, this board is surprisingly good for the price even having thunderbolt card support and crossfire support. I love this board, and if you don't need a K series CPU on LGA1150 then this might be something to look at.

EDIT: Apparently if you use BIOS v1.90 you can OC K-series chips.

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I've heard good things about ASRock lately, and having recently built a friend a computer housing one of their AMD motherboards, they're pretty good.  The BIOS, while foreign to me coming from MSI, still isn't that hard to understand.  Nice to hear some other people's opinions :D

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015