Alright, help me decide guys.

Noirgheos
Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

they are ALL the same...they are ALL based on the SAME GPU ARCHITECTURE which is Graphics Core Next or GCN and they ALL use the same DRIVERS therefore only the stream processor count is different..

TLDR the Fury and the 290/290X/390/390X it' ALL the same shit...they are all the same except some have more stream processors than others.

GPU wise it's the same thing.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Unless you run PrecisionX. Why I have no idea. Which sucks because Afterburner won't cap frame rates. My class workload is insane or I'd have worked out why by now.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yes, even in Fallout 4 where the 390 fell apart. I tired to find some matching benchmarks with the 290 from when I got it to when I sold it but couldn't. Too much happened between those times with the rest of my build.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, Monarch said:

I just told you I have the same thing with my 290X.

That's odd. When I had both cards I compared them at the exact same clock speeds and found the 290 to be much smoother. Now I do mod the ini files. Vsync causes holy hell with stuttering.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Check out this Review from Jayztwocents: Here

He's had experience with Multiple R9 200's and Multiple R9 300's and...

His R9 200 was a dog... while the R9 300's did better.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

they are ALL the same...they are ALL based on the SAME GPU ARCHITECTURE which is Graphics Core Next or GCN and they ALL use the same DRIVERS therefore only the stream processor count is different..

TLDR the Fury and the 290/290X/390/390X it' ALL the same shit...they are all the same except some have more stream processors than others.

GPU wise it's the same thing.

Are you suggesting I get the 970 SLI?

Just now, App4that said:

That's odd. When I had both cards I compared them at the exact same clock speeds and found the 290 to be much smoother. Now I do mod the ini files. Vsync causes holy hell with stuttering.

Even on your 980 Ti?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Just now, Noirgheos said:

no not at all like i said if you want butter smooth gaming like you've said a dual GPU setup is NOT the way to go...it has the worst framepacing and micro-stuttering and all the shit...even worse than a single AMD GPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

I'm sorry but... you're One example of a 290x compared to your One example or a 390 does not mean that the whole of the R9 300 series is a downgrade. Just the fact that the R9 290x performs very similar to the lower spec'ed R9 390 and behind the R9 390x(the updated R9 290x) means that the 200 series is worse than the 300 series?

I'm not following the logic.

Check this out. I went looking for some evidence and the only guys I know that track frame times are DF. In this video when playing FC the only card not to stutter is the 290, even the 980 stutters. OH, and @Morgan MLGman Brother has a 290x still in use so can back me up.

If you want:

Smooth

Quick/Regular driver support

(usually) Good Overclocking

Lower power consumption

The card for you is:

The Most powerful SINGLE graphics card you can get from Nvidia.

If you want a great card for a great price with slightly worse performance in the above areas get a R9 300 series card

4 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Even on your 980 Ti?

Only issue I've had with the 980ti is with PresisionX. And that's only with the graph open. BUT, the 980ti now suffers out in the open after 1.3 launched with Fallout 4. Never had that issue before. I lose half my fps for no reason. Stopped playing because of it, been playing RPTTR.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Check this out. I went looking for some evidence and the only guys I know that track frame times are DF. In this video when playing FC the only card not to stutter is the 290, even the 980 stutters. OH, and @Morgan MLGman Brother has a 290x still in use so can back me up.

look the cyan line go at 2:09

and 5:27 EDITING LOOKING FOR MORE...only the GTX 970 is consitent in those test.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Looks promising, so I should see similar frametimes with the 290X?

1 minute ago, Maxxtraxx said:

If you want:

Smooth

Quick/Regular driver support

(usually) Good Overclocking

Lower power consumption

The card for you is:

The Most powerful SINGLE graphics card you can get from Nvidia.

If you want a great card for a great price with slightly worse performance in the above areas get a R9 300 series card

What do you make of this @Morgan MLGman and @App4that

look the cyan line go at 2:09

Yep, cut scenes were never it's bag.

Just now, App4that said:

Yep, cut scenes were never it's bag.

5:27

2 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

you didn't asked, but from my experience and from watching dozens of performance videos and reading many many reviews on various outlets i absolutely agree with that statement, 100%.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

But it does stutter. For some reason less than other cards, but it definitely has quite a few frametime spikes. And if you look at all other games, it stutters badly. Especially in TW3. I had the same exact issue in TW3. Bought the 970 and it's been smooth ever since.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

2 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

The 290X would get you by until next-gen cards release, 970 SLI is simply a dumb idea and if you're not satisfied with what R9 Fury brings then go for the 290X Tri-X route + cash
290X Crossfire is theoretically a better idea than 970 SLI because of better VRAM, better Xfire scaling and 290X being a tad faster than a 970 in general, but you get heat issues, big power draw and issues typical for Crossfire/SLI setups.

A 980Ti is a good choice, but if it's not an option (and from what I've concluded from your responses it's not) get the 290X and wait for next-gen.

A 290X is a great card that can run anything you throw at it atm. I just finished playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and my R9 290X absolutely nailed it @1200p

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Depends on the overclock. And yeah, the 980ti is as good as it gets. I'll probably get jumped for this but even watching youtube is noticeably better on the 980ti. Night and day actually.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

5:27

All I can comment on is my experience. My 390 was a mess, the 290 never let me down. AMD let it down, but the hardware never failed me.

Gotta go, schedule calls. Be back in a bit

Just now, App4that said:

All I can comment on is my experience. My 390 was a mess, the 290 never let me down. AMD let it down, but the hardware never failed me.

Gotta go, schedule calls. Be back in a bit

:) 0:42

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

A 980Ti is a good choice, but if it's not an option (and from what I've concluded from your responses it's not) get the 290X and wait for next-gen.

A 290X is a great card that can run anything you throw at it atm. I just finished playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and my R9 290X absolutely nailed it @1200p

i deeply deeply fail to see why an R9 290X would be better than an R9 Fury?! can you please point me in the right direction?

the Fury is the same architecture it only has MORE of those GCN stream processor making it FASTER...why would it be more stutter?

He could stick the the fury until next gen cards, it would still be better than an R9 290X right?

i deeply deeply fail to see why an R9 290X would be better than an R9 Fury?! can you please point me in the right direction?

the Fury is the same architecture it only has more of those stream processor making it faster...why would it be more stutter?

I never said that, OP wants to switch his Fury for some reason so I gave him my opinion, I didn't read the entire thread, just this page because I was tagged in it

I assumed that he's not satisfied with performance per dollar ratio in which R9 290/290X are the kings basically :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I never said that, OP wants to switch his Fury for some reason so I gave him my opinion, I didn't read the entire thread, just this page because I was tagged in it

I assumed that he's not satisfied with performance per dollar ratio in which R9 290/290X are the kings basically :P

he said his gaming experience was not the butter smooth experience he was promised with the Fury...i fail to see why the 290X would be any meaningful improvement to this since at the heart those GPU's are based on the exact same architecture (graphics core next, GCN) and they use the exact same driver set.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

the Fury is the same architecture it only has more of those GCN stream processor making it faster...why would it be more stutter?

He could stick the the fury until next gen cards it would still be better than an R9 290X right?

The Fury stutters more, and according to experiences from these guys here (except @Monarch for some reason), the 290X or 290 was smooth as butter for them.

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's the stutter. From what you and app4that are saying, your experiences with the 290 series have next to no stutter.

3 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

The Fury stutters more, and according to experiences from these guys here (except @Monarch for some reason), the 290X or 290 was smooth as butter for them.

go ahead then, if you're really not happy with the fury what do you have to loose?...worst scenario you get the same stuttering (most likely a bit worse since the card is even less powerful) and you get about 15 to 20% less FPS in games.

Cant find a trade for a GTX 980?! those perform about the same, they both have 4GB frame buffer...nvidia is more consistent.

Just now, Noirgheos said:

Just look at these videos and notice the absolutely horrendous frametime spikes AKA microstuttering with all AMD cards:

FCAT doesn't lie. If more sites did FCAT tests and did it more often we would have more evidence. Too bad they don't. But most people don't even know what frame time is and how to interpret it.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz