One AMD CPU and one APU appear on AMD VR Ready List *UPDATED PLEASE READ*

DocSwag

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2016/02/10/these-are-the-cpus-amd-suggests-for-building-vr-ready-pcs-including-2-unreleased-ones/#78d5329e7595

The Oculus VR Ready compatibility tool doesn't seem to list any AMD CPU as VR Ready...

This test result doesn't necessarily mean your PC can't run a Rift. It means you're not using their recommended CPU.

Even their top tier 9590 doesn't work.

However, AMD seems to have a mind of their own and has released their own VR Ready CPU list showing all of their own CPUs that are VR Ready.

AMD's suggested VR-Ready CPUs

It all seems cool. Also on a side note my guess is that they recommend one of their own CPUs with around a 4 ghz clockspeed or higher, judging from the table.

However the interesting thing is the A10-7890k and Athlon X4 880k listed here... these aren't out yet!

The 7890k has already been announced by AMD, so that one isn't too surprising. It will be a Godavari part.

The 880k though has not been officially announced at all. At least I don't think so(correct me if wrong).

A lot of you are probably shouting "Maybe its Carrizo, like the x4 845!" Well chances are it isn't. Of course we never know but I personally doubt the 880k is a Carrizo based Athlon chip. Chances are it is just Kaveri again. Plus it has already been supposedly leaked back in September, with those details having been quite accurate (they pointed to a 4ghz chip, and walla, it sure is 4ghz). If it was around all the way back then, it probably isn't Carrizo.

*UPDATE* Forbes has gotten a message from AMD saying all the FX processors are fine, but the Athlons and APUs are still being "tested" and have not yet been "qualified". AMD will probably bring us news soon on whether or not the Athlons and APUs can be used for VR. Oculus still has not said anything.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

AMD CPU architecture lacks the single threaded performance of Intel's architecture. Even an FX-9590 at 5 GHz is around 30% slower than the locked i5-4590 at 3.7 in single-threaded tasks, making it unsuitable for high framerate gaming. It's the same reason why the i5-4460 isn't considered good enough: not good enough single-threaded performance. Although the i5-4460 is still better in that regard than the FX-9590.

I also though it to be Zen based heh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

AMD CPU architecture lacks the single threaded performance of Intel's architecture. Even an FX-9590 at 5 GHz is around 30% slower than the locked i5-4590 at 3.7 in single-threaded tasks, making it unsuitable for high framerate gaming. It's the same reason why the i5-4460 isn't considered good enough: not good enough single-threaded performance. Although the i5-4460 is still better in that regard than the FX-9590.

Thing is 38 percent less means what really. If the Intel is one working on average 50 to 60 percent of the time 30 percent will not make the 9590 get the job done. As always charts don't show real world effectiveness.

well once again VR illustrates why the average joe aint ready for it...way too much hardware still can't run it and vendors want o lie what their hardware is capable of...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I so dont give a fuck about VR its just hype and its now a matter of time people find out

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

and walla,

You are looking for "voilà" i believe, 

I don't really know what to say on the topic, i don't think AMD processors are up to the task of VR in any amount, but then im sure something on the intel side thats pretty slow gets though 

Jesus Oculus tells you to compare on Passmark, a multi threaded benchmark where 5960X gets twice the score of 4590 they recommend but will probably tie it in games at best.

And what else beats 4590 in PM?

Just now, BarisERY said:

I so dont give a fuck about VR its just hype and its now a matter of time people find out

What points you to that conclusion Dr. Market Analyst P.H.D?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

3 hours ago, Sharkyx1 said:

You are looking for "voilà" i believe, 

I don't really know what to say on the topic, i don't think AMD processors are up to the task of VR in any amount, but then im sure something on the intel side thats pretty slow gets though 

Jesus Oculus tells you to compare on Passmark, a multi threaded benchmark where 5960X gets twice the score of 4590 they recommend but will probably tie it in games at best.

And what else beats 4590 in PM?

What points you to that conclusion Dr. Market Analyst P.H.D?

Synthetics don't tell the full story however-my Phenom II N970 is proof of that.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Also, there has yet to be a non-alpha DX12 benchmark. We know DX12 scales up to 6 cores/threads. It also has lower GPU overhead, since it can use any core or number of cores to do drawcalls. Now with that in mind, it is not so unlikely that a well optimized DX12 title would be able to reduce some of the issues with current AMD CPUs. That being said, it would require game devs to actually optimize and not just use the tool blindly. BUT, even then, FX is prone to stuttering and that would cause massive issues with VR.

I am sure FX can power a VR headset in say Rocket League, WoW, GW2, CSGO, Heartstone, Minecraft or DotA. But in The Witcher 3? or Fable 3? or BF5? nope, not a chance in hell.Then again, there is more people playing the easier to power games like MMOs, Rocket League, CSGO, MC or LoL/DotA... so market wise, aiming for that group which counts hundreds of millions, is much smarter then trying to make a product for the less then 3m that play CoD and BF on PC....

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

I am sure FX can power a VR headset in say Rocket League, WoW, GW2, CSGO, Heartstone, Minecraft or DotA. But in The Witcher 3? or Fable 3? or BF5? nope, not a chance in hell.Then again, there is more people playing the easier to power games like MMOs, Rocket League, CSGO, MC or LoL/DotA... so market wise, aiming for that group which counts hundreds of millions, is much smarter then trying to make a product for the less then 3m that play CoD and BF on PC....

Those are mostly not the kind of games you'd be running in VR anyway. Think racing and space games, as well as horror games (Alien: Isolation), and then new stuff made for VR.

15 hours ago, Prysin said:

Also, there has yet to be a non-alpha DX12 benchmark. We know DX12 scales up to 6 cores/threads. It also has lower GPU overhead, since it can use any core or number of cores to do drawcalls. Now with that in mind, it is not so unlikely that a well optimized DX12 title would be able to reduce some of the issues with current AMD CPUs. That being said, it would require game devs to actually optimize and not just use the tool blindly. BUT, even then, FX is prone to stuttering and that would cause massive issues with VR.

CSGO is a mess and it's performance isn't stable at all.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Synthetics don't tell the full story however-my Phenom II N970 is proof of that.

That's why im criticizing Occulus for telling people to compare CPUs in Passmark.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Meh, according to Occulus my Xeon is not ready for the Rift.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Meh, according to Occulus my Xeon is not ready for the Rift.

What Xeon is that?

Also as far I'm concerned the only vr ready pcs are dual gpu monsters you can't expect people to own for this gen anyway

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

30 minutes ago, linuxfan66 said:

What Xeon is that?

Also as far I'm concerned the only vr ready pcs are dual gpu monsters you can't expect people to own for this gen anyway

Dual gpu isn't a good idea for VR at this point, most games don't support it yet. 

18 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Dual gpu isn't a good idea for VR at this point, most games don't support it yet. 

my point was dual gpu means a gpu can focus on one eye rather than two which is what nvidia i believe has an implementation for. in addition to using normal sli.

1 minute ago, linuxfan66 said:

my point was dual gpu means a gpu can focus on one eye rather than two which is what nvidia i believe has an implementation for. in addition to using normal sli.

And as I said, most games don't support that. It has to be specifically coded to support it. Regular SLI and Crossfire cannot be used in VR. 

7 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

And as I said, most games don't support that. It has to be specifically coded to support it. Regular SLI and Crossfire cannot be used in VR. 

well until thats ready or gpus become a lot more powerful nothing is really ready for triple a vr yet....(vr at max settings is near is near impossible in alot of them)

4 minutes ago, linuxfan66 said:

well until thats ready or gpus become a lot more powerful nothing is really ready for triple a vr yet....(vr at max settings is near is near impossible in alot of them)

VR isn't really about running current triple-A games on ultra anyway.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

VR isn't really about running current triple-A games on ultra anyway.

well that renders pointless. as i see vr as way of getting immersed in stories.*cough*bioshock, "walking simulator" horror, etc*cough* I dont want bad graphics that close to my eyes thanks given immersion is the point.

1 hour ago, linuxfan66 said:

What Xeon is that?

xga6mrb9a1.jpg 

It just slightly slower than 4590 in single core performance. :dry:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

snip 

It just slightly slower than 4590 in single core performance. :dry:

LOL mine is faster than the 4590 in single core performance and it's not ready either

jEXz074.png

I wanted to make a joke about it, but earlier I saw a 9gag post of someone playing VR duck hunt so well, maybe an APU can actually do VR and maybe most VR will be the fucking joke, cellphone game quality or worst.

-------

Current Rig

-------