PC restarts regularly, maybe because of PSU?

Right, I have just recently changed over my case to a CIT Dominator Gaming Case and before that i had a CIT Shade Micro ATX Case. so as i was moving everything over to my new case, i came across a slight problem. The pc was turned on so i could check that everything was working as it should be until i touched the top of the psu by accident and the whole thing just turned itself off and turned back on again. It made me wonder why that happend, so i touched it again to see if it did it again, and it did. even just the very slightest touch caused it to restart. So i got in contact with one of my mates to see what he had to say and he said that the psu maybe shorting out. Then he said to me, "did you have that problem when it was in the old case?" and i said no because i couldnt touch the top of it because it was mounted to the top of the case. but i had absolutely no problem with it in the old case what so ever. But he did also say, "by the sounds of it, you will need to get a new psu as asap as it could lead to even bigger problems". 

So I did take that in to consideration, so i went and put the side panels back on and moved the pc to my pc desk and turned it back on. I thought that it will only restart if i touch the top of the psu whilst its turned on and shouldnt restart if i just dont touch it. but when the pc went to the desktop, i clicked on SpeedFan to monitor the temps, fan speeds etc. but as soon as SpeedFan managed to detect everything, the pc restarted and it has been restarting at random times. So i then thought that i maybe dragging too much power from the psu or something. 

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS.

The specs of my pc are as follows;

Intel Core i3 4130 Dual-Core @3.40GHz CPU

Gigabyte B85M-D2V Micro-ATX Motherboard

2x 4GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 RAM

1x Samsung 850 evo 120GB SSD

1x WD Blue 1TB HDD

1x WD Black 160GB HDD

1x Pioneer cd-dvd drive

1x Gigabyte 2GB GDDR5 GTX 950 Xtreme Gaming Graphics Card

6x 120mm pc case fans

CiT 500w PSU

Many Thanks in advance :)

Change PSU NOW!!! The PSU is the life blood of the whole computer, if it's playing up like you say it is, it could kill every last bit of your system, meaning it may brick your MoBo, GFX, HDD's SSD, the whole lot, and for what? a new $80 PSU?

Change it, thats my advice.

look at event viewer

it tells you why

also make sure your ram is pushed in properly all the way

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had a similar problem years ago with a cheap PSU, which eventually shorted out a motherboard. The problem was that the components inside of the PSU were not properly. I would say, invest in a brand-name PSU. It doesn't need to be an expensive one, but something decent. The Corsair CS550M is a great budget option. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Try checking your restart cable, just to see if it a cable from that that is touching the case

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I had this problem early last year. I found that movements of my pc would make the PC restart. 

Turns out, the PCI-E cable was loose because the cable management I did was too tight.

Make sure your PCI-E cable is in correctly and not loose.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

I had a similar issue, turned out to be that the stock Intel CPU cooler was not properly attached and had an air pocket between and was causing overheating. Reseated it and it fixed the issue.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Check power connectors dude, on every component, because this is totally a PSU prob, there was a dude like 2 days a go having the same problem and turned out one of his connectors was loose, and melted, ended up RMA-ing his PSU 

@DXMember

Edited by LawrenceBarnes2013

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

7 minutes ago, Analog said:

The problem was that the components inside of the PSU were not properly.

wat lol

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

3 minutes ago, Derpologist said:

wat lol

.... properly isolated. Haha, I must have accidentaly deleted that part :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 minute ago, Analog said:

Yes, it would be fine. 

Uh.... are you sure?  The list here says Corsair VS are worse than CX...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Uh.... are you sure?  The list here says Corsair VS are worse than CX...

Value-wise yes, but the CX-M and VS are the same unit so think of that what you will.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 hours ago, CJDJ said:

so would this psu be more suitable?? by the way, i dont really intend on spending much over £50. £55 would be tops really

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-RS600-ACABB1-Builder-Warranty/dp/B00MV5YA08/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1455137465&sr=1-10&keywords=600w+psu

Yup, for that price it's a decent PSU. :)

23 hours ago, CJDJ said:

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS.

CiT 500w PSU

Many Thanks in advance :)

That PSU is listed under

Tier Five
Avoid IMMEDIATELY. These units are highly unsafe to use. No such protections added, very thin gauge wiring used, false advertising and too much to list. Reference to a higher tiered unit for a better, money saving and a much safer unit. For your safety's sake, please don't order or pick one up for use in your system. These units are a potential fire hazard and could even kill you, let alone your system.

in PSU tier list: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Get a Seasonic 300~400 unit or anything from Tier 1 to Tier 3 from the list above.

@LawrenceBarnes2013

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K