Micron to sample GDDR5X to partners this spring, mass production set for mid 2016

zMeul

source: https://www.micron.com/about/blogs/2016/february/gddr5x-has-arrived

via :http://www.anandtech.com/show/10017/micron-reports-on-gddr5x-progress

1024px-Micron_Technology_logo.svg.png

There have been a variety of rumors in the industry about GDDR5X availability timeframes, so I’d like to clear that up from the beginning: Micron’s GDDR5X program is in full swing and first components have already completed manufacturing. We plan to hit mass production this summer. The team at our Graphics DRAM Design Center in Munich, Germany is doing a fantastic job, too. Not only do we have functional devices earlier than expected, these early components are performing at data rates of more than 13Gb/s! Memory components mature as they move through the development and manufacturing process, so to see first silicon performing at nearly full performance specs was a pleasant surprise—these early results are incredibly promising. Our first generation GDDR5X is an 8Gb (1GB) density manufactured on our 20-nanometer process technology.

GDDR5X standard is largely based on the GDDR5 technology, featuring important improvements: higher data-rates (up to 14 Gbps per pin or even higher), higher-capacities (up to 16 Gb) and improved energy-efficiency

GDDR5X memory chips will come in new slightly smaller packages, 14×10mm vs 14×12mm, compared to GDDR5

micron_gddr5x_chip_575px.jpg

the 1st gen GDDR5X chips might not show up in the value sector right away since the 8Gb GDDR5X chips will cost more than the already available 4Gb GDDR5

Should be in time for both AMD and NVIDIA to use on at least some of their GPU products (I'm thinking Mid-range GPU's). Low end GPU's - especially those that will get pushed out right away, might stay with standard GDDR5, since I doubt there's much benefit anyway.

I'm super curious to see which AMD products come with HBM and which with GDDR5/x. I'm guessing that High end + enthusiast (That'd be 490/x + Fury 2) will be HBM, Mid range (480/470) will use GDDR5x, and anything below will probably use GDDR5.

I look forward to seeing how far off I am.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I womder who will launch with this first. Its faster than gddr5 so that's good. 

I wonder if it's cost effective vs gddr5, maybe for mid/high range cards

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P