Where to Learn Advanced Python?

Aleksbgbg

I don't know how powerful Python is, but I do know that I want to find out.

I have finished 100% the CodeCademy course on Python which was very informative, however I don't know how to continue. School just gives us the code and we have to find errors - we learn nothing interesting. Moreover, stuff we are meant to do for coursework is not taught in lesson. People usually copy off of me or the internet. Is there another website like codecademy that teaches Python?

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

9 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

I don't know how powerful Python is, but I do know that I want to find out.

I have finished 100% the CodeCademy course on Python which was very informative, however I don't know how to continue. School just gives us the code and we have to find errors - we learn nothing interesting. Moreover, stuff we are meant to do for coursework is not taught in lesson. People usually copy off of me or the internet. Is there another website like codecademy that teaches Python?

Python is pretty powerful if you have the right tools to go with it, you can write GUI applications, perform CMD/console functions, perform networking based tasks and file operations, etc.  

But as far as learning more; not really, the only real way to continue learning is through experience. Don't be afraid to google stuff though. If you can admit you don't understand how to do something and taking the initiative to look something up only makes you a better programmer, as long as you're not just copying and pasting code.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

Python is pretty powerful if you have the right tools to go with it, you can write GUI applications, perform CMD/console functions, perform networking based tasks and file operations, etc.  

But as far as learning more; not really, the only way to continue learning is through experience. Don't be afraid to google stuff though. If you can admit you don't understand how to do something and taking the initiative to look something up only makes you a better programmer, as long as you're not just copying and pasting code.

That is in fact good advice. When we first had to make our own program, we had to use a random number. Practically everyone googled an answer to this program and copied and pasted the code, but I researched and found that random has something called randrange which makes a random number. I see where you're going with this! Thanks :)

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

1 minute ago, Aleksbgbg said:

That is in fact good advice. When we first had to make our own program, we had to use a random number. Practically everyone googled an answer to this program and copied and pasted the code, but I researched and found that random has something called randrange which makes a random number. I see where you're going with this! Thanks :)

No problem! :)

I talked why Codecademy sucks and your case is also a good example of that. You can see my topic here:

It all depends what you want to do, you need to think of a path after learning the basics. You can do nearly everything in Python, but remember that saying, "if something is supposed to do everything, it does all of those things poorly".

There are many kinds of things you can do with Python, all you need is to say what you want to learn, and we can guide you with that. It is however very possible that another language does that thing better than Python.

I have a book on python in .pdf if you are interested. It is like 45mb though so I can't email it. It is on my google drive though

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

20 hours ago, Gachr said:

I talked why Codecademy sucks and your case is also a good example of that. You can see my topic here:

It all depends what you want to do, you need to think of a path after learning the basics. You can do nearly everything in Python, but remember that saying, "if something is supposed to do everything, it does all of those things poorly".

There are many kinds of things you can do with Python, all you need is to say what you want to learn, and we can guide you with that. It is however very possible that another language does that thing better than Python.

And if you just want the gist of all the features, you an download the entire reference information on the Python website. (Which I recommend downloading, no matter how familiar you are with Python.)

The website documentation usually has what I need. But you can get really good reference books at Indigo for cheap.