How to achive good sorround sound in games?

Hi everyone, I have the Sennheiser Momentum as my all-purpose headphone (watching movies,videose,listening to musig, travel....).

I just started using it for gaming and I'm not happy with how it preformes. I mean the surround efect not the sound quality. However when I'm litening for the demo on websites eg. doolby or Razer Sorround the surround sound so much better!

Am I doing something wrong, do I need a specific software or a gaming branded headphone.

A stereo gaming headphone does the same thing right? Or is there something to it? How about a sorround headphone with more than 2 speaker built into it?

As for software: I tried Razer Surround before and I didn't notice any change. Altough I didn't buy it, I just used the trial. Is it worth buying?

Is it possible that i am missing something obvious in the game settings?

What should I do to get a solid sorround sound?

4 minutes ago, InfinityCaptain said:

Hi everyone, I have the Sennheiser Momentum as my all-purpose headphone (watching movies,videose,listening to musig, travel....).

I just started using it for gaming and I'm not happy with how it preformes. I mean the surround efect not the sound quality. However when I'm litening for the demo on websites eg. doolby or Razer Sorround the surround sound so much better!

Am I doing something wrong, do I need a specific software or a gaming branded headphone.

A stereo gaming headphone does the same thing right? Or is there something to it? How about a sorround headphone with more than 2 speaker built into it?

As for software: I tried Razer Surround before and I didn't notice any change. Altough I didn't buy it, I just used the trial. Is it worth buying?

Is it possible that i am missing something obvious in the game settings?

What should I do to get a solid sorround sound?

surround sound speakers

i use em, and there is nothing in the world with better surround sound than speakers all around you and true surround sound

Make sure in your audio settings for the game that it's set to 5.1 or surround, not stereo.

1 minute ago, powderbanks said:

Make sure in your audio settings for the game that it's set to 5.1 or surround, not stereo.

I don't want to buy anything new, that's the point, and besides, when I'm voice chatting with someone they are going to be able to hear themeself back and my game's sound. It is anoying.

Just now, InfinityCaptain said:

I don't want to buy anything new, that's the point, and besides, when I'm voice chatting with someone they are going to be able to hear themeself back and my game's sound. It is anoying.

I wasn't saying you need to buy anything new; make sure your audio settings for whichever game you're playing are set to surround sound or 5.1, not headphone or stereo. I think you meant to quote the other post? And yeah, actual surround sound speakers will make it sound a ton better. But if I'm using my mic, headphones go on.

How did the Razer surround demo work, but the actual software didn't? I suspect strong evidence of user error.

37 minutes ago, powderbanks said:

I wasn't saying you need to buy anything new; make sure your audio settings for whichever game you're playing are set to surround sound or 5.1, not headphone or stereo. I think you meant to quote the other post? And yeah, actual surround sound speakers will make it sound a ton better. But if I'm using my mic, headphones go on.

Yeah, that is what I ment. And my ingame audio setting is on 5.1

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

How did the Razer surround demo work, but the actual software didn't? I suspect strong evidence of user error.

I listened to the demo online, that was amaizing, so I downloaded it and nothing happened in-game.

Just now, InfinityCaptain said:

I listened to the demo online, that was amaizing, so I downloaded it and nothing happened.

Ergo, you fucked up.

46 minutes ago, SSL said:

How would I know?

Well how do you know that I fucked up? I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, I messed with all the setting but I just couldn't get it to work. 

42 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Pretty sure you have to set the virtuel device it create as your default sound device in sound settings and i game as well?  (could be wrong as I have not used it for several  years) 

Finally a usefull comment, thanks this was the issue. 

You could have set the audio in-game to "headphones" and it would have worked as well for you, if not better, this whole time.

Something to consider if you're having more problems down the line.

[witty signature]

15 hours ago, Timmy-P said:

You could have set the audio in-game to "headphones" and it would have worked as well for you, if not better, this whole time.

Something to consider if you're having more problems down the line.

I tried that but what that does is that what's behind you will be very quiet  and what in-front of you is loud, and Land R is indistinguishable.

But it is also possible that some games have better default audio settings than others.

20 hours ago, NoobCase said:

Glad it was help full and you got it working :)

One more thing, is there a significant difference between the Razer Sorround free and paid version?

37 minutes ago, InfinityCaptain said:

I tried that but what that does is that what's behind you will be very quiet  and what in-front of you is loud, and Land R is indistinguishable.

But it is also possible that some games have better default audio settings than others.

One more thing, is there a significant difference between the Razer Sorround free and paid version?

No idea :( Most be somewhere on their website I suppose

8 hours ago, InfinityCaptain said:

You'll have to configure the speaker setup in Windows/Realtek, I suppose.

As for the Surround thing, iirc the paid version allowed you to alter the speaker setup after going through the configuration setup, among a few other key things, with the free version you have to go through the wizard again.  It's very annoying, but to each his own.

[witty signature]