AMD zen based Opteron slides showcased in a debate at CERN

Mr_Troll

AMD’s Zen Based Opteron Processors To Feature 32 Cores in MCM Package – 8 Channel DDR4 Memory Support

In a discussion related to technology and market trends for the data center, Liviu Valsan (computing engineer at CERN) showcased slides which detailed AMD’s upcoming Opteron processors that feature their x86 Zen core architecture. The session not only provided details on AMD’s next generation processors but also mentioned Intel’s Broadwell-EP chips along with enterprise aimed storage and memory Solutions

AMD Zen Based Opteron Processor

AMD’s Zen Powered Opteron To Boast 32 Cores With SMT – 8 Channel DDR4 Support

AMD’s Opteron lineup hasn’t seen any significant update since 2011. The Opteron 6000 series processors that are available today are based on the older Piledriver architecture which was introduced back in 2012. The x86 Piledriver core delivers a modest update over the Bulldozer architecture hence the Opteron processors really couldn’t stand out against the Intel’s server offerings which picked up the pace since Sandy Bridge. However, AMD expects to change the scenario with Zen and come back in the data center market with faster next-gen Opteron processors which will deliver high core count, faster performance and improved efficiency on a 14nm process node.

The AMD Opteron processors should not be mistaken with the Exascale processor which is doing the rounds in the rumor mill. The Exascale processor is part of the HPC APU product stack which is a multi-chip package that comprises of several dies that incorporate Zen cores, GCN cores and DRAM stacks (HBM), interconnected via a faster coherent fabric that AMD has planned for their next generation exascale solutions and rumored to have interconnect speeds up to 100 GB/s. The AMD Opteron processors will solely comprise of a single or several CPU dies which will be interconnected to deliver high core count, disruptive memory bandwidth through using a combination DDR4 and HBM DRAMs and high native I/O capacity.

During the talks, the CERN official stated that AMD will be building their next generation Opteron processors with their Zen core architecture. The new Zen core is based on the 14nm FinFET technology that is being built developed by Global Foundries and is expected to deliver up to 40% IPC (Instructions per clock) improvement. The other key point mentioned is that the Opteron processors will feature up to 32 physical cores. All 32 cores are based on the Zen architecture and will feature SMT (Symmetrical Multi-Threading) which brings the AMD design closer to Intel’s design as they have been using Hyper threading for quite some time. The technology works is a similar way, albeit with some AMD added enhancements/tweaks.

One key point explained by Liviu is that AMD might go with the MCM design as they currently do with their Opteron 6300 series processors. The Opteron 6380 packs two 8 core “Piledriver” CPUs on a single die that functions as a single processor. The Zen based Opteron will pack two 16 core CPUs on a single die package which will function as a single 32 core Opteron chip. The two CPUs will be interconnected through the next gen fabric to eliminate data transfer and communication bottlenecks between the two chips. This information also gives us a slight bit hint at AMD’s design strategy. With Piledriver, AMD used two 8 core modules on their Opteron while 8 core was set as the highest count on consumer processors

AMD Opteron 6300 Dual Die Shot

The 16 core count count mean that the consumer and server offerings with single chip packages can pack up to 16 cores. Although it would be AMD’s decision entirely to offer such SKUs in the market but having that many cores on consumer platforms will be interesting as Intel themselves have upped the core count to 10 with the upcoming Broadwell-E HEDT and 22 on the Broadwell-EP generation of processors. All Intel chips utilize a single CPU design unlike AMD’s MCM design.

Lastly, support for 8 channel DDR4 memory and PCI-e Gen 3.0 was mentioned. Eight channel sounds like a step up for AMD. AMD’s Opteron platform is expected to hit shelves later in 2017 while Intel has their Broadwell-EP platform launching in Q1 2016. AMD’s platform will be competing by then with Intel’s Purely platform that has Skylake-EP stacked up against it. While AMD’s Opteron platform looks decent enough against Broadwell-EP as it has 32 cores versus 22 on Intel, support for 8 channel DDR4 versus 4 channel DDR4 on Intel and a fast inter connect fabric, things might shape up more interesting witj 2017 purely which brings Intel’s latest micro-arch codenamed Skylake to the enterprise market. Nevertheless, AMD believes that they can address 80% of the server market with their Zen powered Opteron processors.

Okay and then as a follow up, what kind of performance point should we look at your initial Zen in the server space, is it Xeon E3 class type products or E5s or maybe you can help with some granularity there if you can?

Yes, we believe that we’ll be able to address let’s call it you know 80% of the server CPU market with our Zen class of products. So that’s a very high end but you know really the meat of the market

Looks good on paper. 2017 will tell how good it really is .

Source: https://cds.cern.ch/record/2128536?ln=ja

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-opteron-processor-32-core/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

32 cores? That's quite the amount for a single CPU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's not meant for your average user, and AMD is trying to get its foot back into workstations+servers.  So, it's probably meant to replace multi-cpu situations where they do 2 16 cores to limit the socket count then up the RAM count to a few TBs.

Still. 32-core Opteron vs 18-core Xeon. I can already smell Linus' vulture-like eyes and grin as he thinks the same

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Linus trying to grasp the core count.

-snip-

I'm actually surprised why LMG haven't done anything regarding the Wraith cooler seeing as many outlets are calling it "the best reference cooler ever made"

nothing to stop dual socket MB running 64C/128T setup either but only time will tell

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Intel is one of their primary sponsors, and AMD actually has to send them stuff.  Maybe not so much the first as it is the second.  Linus doesn't hate AMD or anything like that...they just don't send him much outside of GPUs.

True but I have called them out on multiple occasions when they "accidentally" forget to mention the things AMD has done right.

Wow.. thats freaking awesome and insaine. hope its awesome :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

That might have to do with something they signed without reading with someone like Intel or another company.  Being a media group, if they are in a restricted contract like that their sponsor can sue the hell out of them.

Yet more reason to always read before writing :)

Looks insane on paper for Zen based Opteron CPU indeed.

As far as consumer Zen CPU I hope it shines. As far as core count that's coming in future CPUs I'm pleased. I'm still eagerly waiting on IPC performance, it seems it's going to be quite solid, as far as known info, no one can know exactly.

Ow and as far as clock speed and TDP of 95W I'd say it should definitely be 4+ GHZ for said performance. Though I've read it may be lower for reasons, but it would be quite odd then. Of course they're still in process of finalizing clock speeds, as said.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Actually it's greed that is the root of all evil not the money. People have a choice of how to use and accept it!

So how quickly does Intel start sabotaging AMD again if Zen starts taking marketshare from them? ?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

8-channel DDR4? Interesting.

I might be looking at this wrong, but looks like they will split the cores in packages - basically having multi CPUs on the same die

didn't Intel do a similar thing with the 1st gen Core i ?! or was it earlier in Core DUO

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Linus a greedy person?

No its more like this; you get review samples to sell the product, or you don't get anything to review at all.

What do you think the impact will be if they don't get to put up videos of major items when it matters the most?

And then he doesn't have just his family to feed. He's an employer

Yes its sad that he has to put AMD products in a dark corner and let Nvidia's dbag moves slide.

This is just the world we live in.

NEver said that

2 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

32-core Opteron vs 18-core Xeon

To be fair Skylake Xeons will have 28 cores, and iirc their Xeon Phi will have 72 cores iirc. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I might be looking at this wrong, but looks like they will split the cores in packages - basically having multi CPUs on the same die

didn't Intel do a similar thing with the 1st gen Core i ?! or was it earlier in Core DUO

That's speculation only. The author is suggesting that AMD might do MCM (Combining multiple CPU die's onto the same CPU "package"), like they've historically done.

This is purely speculation by the author, and we'll have to wait and see if that is correct or not.

FYI, AMD and Intel have both historically used MCM to one degree or another:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-chip_module#Examples_of_MCM_technologies

Just now, Bouzoo said:

To be fair Skylake Xeons will have 28 cores, and iirc their Xeon Phi will have 72 cores iirc. 

The Xeon Phi is not an Apples to Apples comparison to a Xeon or Zen CPU. The Phi is more of a hybrid between GPGPU compute cores, and a traditional CPU. AFAIK, it also takes up an entire PCIe card slot as an add-in board.

So while it could possibly do many of the same things as a Zen CPU, it's hard to compare them exactly.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, Eroda said:

nothing to stop dual socket MB running 64C/128T setup either but only time will tell

Now I have to go home and change my pants, thanks.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

39 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The Xeon Phi is not an Apples to Apples comparison to a Xeon or Zen CPU. The Phi is more of a hybrid between GPGPU compute cores, and a traditional CPU. AFAIK, it also takes up an entire PCIe card slot as an add-in board.

So while it could possibly do many of the same things as a Zen CPU, it's hard to compare them exactly.

Fair enough. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

8-channel DDR4? Interesting.

i wonder how that would affect their APUs though.

i mean, if you look at gaming loads you see massive jumps going from single to dual channel RAM. Now, server stuff is a different beast, but 8 channels sure should grant a hell of a lot of bandwidth.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

i wonder how that would affect their APUs though.

i mean, if you look at gaming loads you see massive jumps going from single to dual channel RAM. Now, server stuff is a different beast, but 8 channels sure should grant a hell of a lot of bandwidth.

In RAM intensive high-bandwidth applications/scenarios, going 8-channel is going to make a significant boost in performance. Though it will be pretty application specific as to whether you'd see any performance increase at all or not. In many server tasks, you probably won't see any increase at all.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

They need to stop with the slides at presentations and release the bloody new CPU line already.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Still. 32-core Opteron vs 18-core Xeon. I can already smell Linus' vulture-like eyes and grin as he thinks the same

My first thought was, "Somehow zip-ties and a sample of the next generation Greenland card will be involved in the build log."

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

They need to stop with the slides at presentations and release the bloody new CPU line already.

If only it were that simple. But I'd rather them finish it, and make a proper product, rather than rushing and putting out another Bulldozer.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If only it were that simple. But I'd rather them finish it, and make a proper product, rather than rushing and putting out another Bulldozer.

Look at how long they've been working on it. Its been in development for a lot longer than Bulldozer and its derivatives.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Look at how long they've been working on it. Its been in development for a lot longer than Bulldozer and its derivatives.

Well they are building a new architecture from the ground up - sure, they might take bits and pieces from their current arch's, but I doubt they're taking too much.

Besides, I'm assuming at this point that the architecture itself is probably pretty well finalized and they're just working on getting ready to tape out and get engineering samples created. If you're AMD, you REALLY don't want to rush that last part, since you want to make sure your new ZEN CPU hits the ground running when it's released - not a flop like Bulldozer or Netburst.