Opera just got bought by some random Chinese Consortium

AlTech

A bit sad as I really can't see any good to come out of this. Opera was nice for browsing on really slow connections on a slow computer, but apart from that I don't know anyone who uses it on a regular basis.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I've been using it as my primary browser, lately with other ones. Yeah when it switched to Chromium it kind of became striped down and less like original Opera. They brought things back, and bringing more. I still like the browser and even prefer it as main, with some exceptions I've had. Like YT 60fps at time and some other formatting that got fixed.

Though, Vivaldi is spiritual successor to original Opera and I occasionally use it. It's still relatively new.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Installed it. Used it for 3 days. Moved back to chrome. Forgot I had it. Found it again as I was removing stuff for a clean wipe. Wiped it. :P

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Recently I tried to download something and it came bundled with Opera. That's how desperate they've gotten.

Chrome is bundled with all kinds of software still - such as Adobe Reader, and many others.

I guess Google is getting super desperate...

/devil's advocate

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Well, bundling browsers is how you get marketshare. All the popular browsers do it or have done it in one form or another. Internet Explorer/Edge with Windows (sort of not if within the EU), Firefox in Ubuntu and probably a lot of other Linux distros. I'm sure Firefox has also been bundled with software before. 

Once upon a time Chrome was bundled with every piece of software you could find and you'd have to choose advanced installation and/or uncheck the box to avoid Chrome getting installed. 

Indeed, Chrome still is bundled with a ton of different software. Not as bad as it used to be, with Google Search Toolbar being bundled with everything under the sun, but it's still being bundled.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

As long as they don't fuck it up, that's fine with me.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Been using Opera web browser for many years, still my primary browser to this day. No complaints from me. I prefer Opera over all the other popular web browsers. Not sure what will become of it now that it has been bought, though. If I feel the need to move on, I'll go with something else. 

The last time I used Opera was like 10 years ago. I don't know who does the evaluation of Opera, but it is no where near $1.2B.

I use Opera. I used to float around browsers, switching when my current browser annoyed me too much. While doing that I noticed that Opera actually innovated most of the best features that the others later picked up. Before they changed to chromium Opera was without a doubt my favorite browser but half of the sites I visited I had to open up chrome anyway...it's one of the big reasons why I often dropped it as my browser of choice. It wasn't their fault, it's because web developers didn't want to spend the extra time to make sure their site was compatible with a browser with so few users. After they changed to chromium, though, suddenly they worked for most websites and they still kept a lot of the key features that I liked. It became a no brainer. Nowadays I only use chrome if I want to access my other google drive account.

may now vivaldi rise

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

i suspect opera is one those market players who's biggest affect is their influence rather than product sales/use directly...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

18 hours ago, JuztBe said:

If I recall opera have not had an update for a few months now.
Looks like this is the last nail in the coffin before I switch. Or maybe they'll make it good again?

Opera has been updated but who cares switch to Vivaldi you will like it.

10 hours ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Been using Opera web browser for many years, still my primary browser to this day. No complaints from me. I prefer Opera over all the other popular web browsers. Not sure what will become of it now that it has been bought, though. If I feel the need to move on, I'll go with something else. 

I have used Opera as my primary browser since 2005.  I was sad to see 12 go but switched to the new branch just because google products worked better in it.  Google was playing dirty and ripping off all of Operas features and then they made it so gmail wouldn't work with 12.  That is what killed 12 for me.

9 hours ago, Daring said:

Opera is dead, long live Vivaldi.

I have been very excited about Vivaldi I would have switched to it before now but it had a few issues with this forum.  I haven't tried it in a month but this news will most likely get me to switch.

1 Timothy 1:15

I use opera as my main browser, for one simple reason.

It's just faster than chrome and firefox on my computer. 

But I do use firefox from time to time because of some of it's features.

Since it's being acquired by a chinese company, I think I'm going to make the total switch to firefox.

edit:

Just installed vivaldi and it looks pretty promising. The forum works fine. There are a few tiny missing features that I am used to though, but to be fair it's a very new browser and still in beta, I think it's very good

I read this completely wrong.
I thought Opera Winfrey Bought a Chinese internet company xD

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

On 10.2.2016 at 1:35 PM, AlexGoesHigh said:

yeah, to a website or a fully blank page AFAIK, its been so long i have used it, and i don't have it installed to check, but i know you can't change much from the pic i linked.

also my main gripe with that page is that it site appears based on usage so i can't stick a website of my preference to it, which is my main problem with it.

I've done so. my start page is the new tab, and I've pinned sites that I want there... soooo, you should freshen up on yer chrome knowledge

Another Norwegian company gone... this would not have happened if the orginal maker of opera was with them..

I am using Opera now, because I do not like chrome. but I will probably move over to vivaldi (also a Norwegian company)

and their phone borwser (opera mini) is big in countries where data caps is small, places like sudan, indonesia, because of the low data use. I think it was like 200 million monthy users on that single app or something.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I never liked IE, so at first I used Firefox. I liked it but it had some problems (can't remember now what it was) and because of that I switched to Chrome. Worked ok and I really liked it, but with it's "pepper flash" problems it became annoying so I switched again, this time to Opera. At first it had minor issues with bookmarks, but now - it's perfect, and I mean P.E.R.F.E.C.T.! I use Opera everyday and I hope these news won't change that. 

On 10.2.2016 at 0:30 PM, ZetZet said:

why would you be using it in the first place, it's chrome with a skin. 

Constantly bitching about ISPs but when someone gives you a tool that lets you fight back you guys feel the need to make fun of it. Typical MasterRacer BS, I guess.

Opera Mini with pictures disabled:

Opera_Mini.png

Opera:

Opera_Normal.png

Night mode:

Opera_Night.png

Also:

Opera_Max.png

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

2 minutes ago, snes said:

Constantly bitching about ISPs but when someone gives you a tool that lets you fight back you guys feel the need to make fun of it. Typical MasterRacer BS, I guess.

Every feature useless to me. Saving data? Never use my cap anyway. Also I don't like reduced quality pictures.

Night mode? Ever heard about auto-brightness? 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

11 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Every feature useless to me. Saving data? Never use my cap anyway. Also I don't like reduced quality pictures.

Night mode? Ever heard about auto-brightness? 

MaterRacer. Knew it.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

2 minutes ago, snes said:

MaterRacer. Knew it.

I am just saying, all useless. I prefer google sync over any of those features any day of the week.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

4 minutes ago, snes said:

MaterRacer. Knew it.

You don't need OperaMini for all of those features. I get the Data Cap savings feature using IE on my Windows Mobile 8.1 device. Also, I agree, Auto-brightness serves me well enough that I don't need a "night-mode".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I disabled auto brightness because I hate it when it re-adjusts all the time.

Most other browsers on the Play Store don't work nearly as well as Opera does on older/non flagship devices.

Emerging Markets.

I for one am glad that I don't have to waste an insane amount of money every month on a phone plan just because our ISPs were dumb enough to bid at least 50.8 BILLION Euros on UMTS licenses. It's bad enough that I have to stick with T-Mobile.

How did this slip under my radar...

Opera is my daily driver, so I don't know how to feel about this...

Guess I'll start looking for another web browser just in case I have to jump ship.