Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tofuman89

Windows 10 sends your PC data 5500 times to Microsoft and Non-Private IPs

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

nzTJkWW.png

So that's why they have been pushing out Windows 10 for free

 

*Puts on tinfoil hat*

 

It has been proven that on last November, even after disabling the 3 tracking pages in Windows 10 setup, the operating system's extensive telemetry (or ‘spying’ as it has been labelled) cannot be stopped. A guy named CheesusCrust on Voat conducted an extensive investigation which found Windows 10 contacts Microsoft and Non-Private IP over 5500 times in 8 hour period. After enabling third party tool DisableWinTracking, the number has been reduced to 2758 times to 30 different IP address in 30 hour period. CheesusCrust tested it on clean install Windows 10 Enterprise which should provide the most control over all version of Windows 10.

 

In November, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore argued:

 

Quote

“In the cases where we’ve not provided options [to disable tracking], we feel that those things have to do with the health of the system…In the case of knowing that our system that we’ve created is crashing, or is having serious performance problems, we view that as so helpful to the ecosystem and so not an issue of personal privacy, that today we collect that data so that we make that experience better for everyone.”

 

As of now, Microsoft has only been able to reply with, "I’m afraid we are not able to provide a comment on this."

 

This situation somehow reminds me of Skynet from Terminator. What do you guys think of this so-called "extensive telemetry"?

 

EDIT1: Feel free to post your opinion here and discuss constructively. I would like this topic stays neutral and the comments are about the upside and the downside of this implementation.

 

EDIT2: We now have an article from ZDNet challenging this as pointed out by user ManIkWeet,

 http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-it-comes-to-windows-10-privacy-dont-trust-amateur-analysts/

Source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/#1398ad7b7aa9

https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/835741


How do I shoot web?

Link to post
Share on other sites

No comment!

 

56baff36b6c45_tinfoilhat.jpg.c7255da45fe


How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Xiaomi Pocophone F1 6GB RAM 128GB Storage (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with GPU upgrades) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2016 at 9:13 AM, Samfisher said:

It's non-specific data anyway, I personally don't care.

yeah so long as it's not personally identifiable then I don't care. It's actually a good thing. One time I needed tech support from MS to fix something cos i couldn't fix it. And they were only able to help me through looking at my Windows install .

 

On 2/10/2016 at 9:14 AM, Tofuman89 said:

As Microsoft would, touché

look at it again. and also you wrote same thing twice.


How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Xiaomi Pocophone F1 6GB RAM 128GB Storage (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with GPU upgrades) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

look at it again. and also you wrote same thing twice.

Getting clumsy with the forum function...I need some sleep!


How do I shoot web?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So that tool helps with the privacy on windows 10? Anyone using this right now? Might install it


The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It's non-specific data anyway

Are you 100% sure? If answer is YES than you are an idiot... 

 


English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mstef said:

Are you 100% sure? If answer is YES than you are an idiot... 

 

Are you 100% sure?  If answer is YES then you are an idiot too.


QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It's non-specific data anyway, I personally don't care.

Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone how much you don't care.

 

There are some people around that understand the consequences of spying of any kind and they care. Once the system is in place, it makes it much easier for other groups (or even the same group) to abuse it. Even if Microsoft isn't doing anything bad with their tools, the tools can easily be used for bad things.


waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpaghettiCarbonara said:

Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone how much you don't care.

 

There are some people around that understand the consequences of spying of any kind and they care. Once the system is in place, it makes it much easier for other groups (or even the same group) to abuse it. Even if Microsoft isn't doing anything bad with their tools, the tools can easily be used for bad things.

The tools were made to record very specific non identifiable data, and unless they can reverse that AND make MS servers accept the data it wasn't built to accept, nothing's gonna happen.


QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

The tools were made to record very specific non identifiable data, and unless they can reverse that AND make MS servers accept the data it wasn't built to accept, nothing's gonna happen.

Specific, non-specific, doesn't matter. Do you honestly think it's that difficult? The overall system they've created would be far more complicated than how they've told their server what to collect.


waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpaghettiCarbonara said:

Specific, non-specific, doesn't matter. Do you honestly think it's that difficult? The overall system they've created would be far more complicated than how they've told their server what to collect.

Why would they need to create a system far more complicated than needed?  You're assuming the worst of everyone.


QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Samfisher said:

Why would they need to create a system far more complicated than needed?  You're assuming the worst of everyone.

... What? You've completely missed my point.

 

Think of the overall system at large. I'm betting the majority of the time put into the whole Telemetry system was put into designing a system that could harvest information from millions of machines all at once and store it somewhere. I'm also betting a very small amount of time was put into whether the data they collect is non-specific or specific.

 

Seriously, if it's anything like what I've been doing recently, it would only be a matter of saying to the server "alright m8, we want a list of all the file names in their documents folder" via code, which is probably just a few lines of code.


waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpaghettiCarbonara said:

... What? You've completely missed my point.

 

Think of the overall system at large. I'm betting the majority of the time put into the whole Telemetry system was put into designing a system that could harvest information from millions of machines all at once and store it somewhere. I'm also betting a very small amount of time was put into whether the data they collect is non-specific or specific.

 

Seriously, if it's anything like what I've been doing recently, it would only be a matter of saying to the server "alright m8, we want a list of all the file names in their documents folder" via code, which is probably just a few lines of code.

You can just monitor traffic by services and you'll know instantly.  0 reports so far have anything remotely suggesting that MS is collecting anything other than basic telemetry and metadata-type of info.


QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I would prefer to keep the comments civil and constructive on this topic since we are discussing tin-foil worthy information. For me, I believe this serves similarly to anonymous stats uploading of many software that we agreed upon at. However, the reluctance of Microsoft to divulge further information or transparency on this topic has doubt me so.


How do I shoot web?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It's non-specific data anyway, I personally don't care.

Microsoft surely appreciates your naivety, but it's actually any data that MS decides at any given time, and in any given situation, because there are no limits placed on Microsoft's Privacy Statement - only promises to collect data from including, but not limited to, contents of documents and emails, audio and video recordings, all text entered into Cortana, and more.

 

If anybody wants to disable data collection in Windows 10, check out the information my signature links to.

 

 

Also, remember when Microsoft snooped in an Outlook user's email, and then publicly promised that they would never do that again once it was reported upon - and then Microsoft released Windows 10 a year later along with their Privacy Statement saying that they will in fact collect contents of people's Outlook emails?

 

So not only is it absurd to trust a historically-ruthless corporation just because they don't specifically say that they're collecting certain kinds of data (they also don't claim to not be collecting it, though), but it's incompetence to trust a historically-ruthless corporation that has already specifically done the very thing that they said they would not do, particularly when that very thing is the same thing which the presently-discussed matter of trust is regarding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

You can just monitor traffic by services and you'll know instantly.  0 reports so far have anything remotely suggesting that MS is collecting anything other than basic telemetry and metadata-type of info.

I didn't say anything about that. Personally, I don't care what they collect. I don't want them to collect anything. I want them to leave my shit alone.

 

I'm saying that a) it doesn't matter what they collect - they shouldn't collect anything and b) once the system is in place, it is far easier to change and abuse.


waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to what I've said above, Microsoft already made efforts to deceive the public regarding data collection in Windows 10, when they said that the data collected is anonymous - but elsewhere it was clarified that each system is given an ID, and so none of the data collected is actually anonymous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Windows 10 is Skynet 1.0 or not is academic, the point is for gamers, do we stick to Windows 7 or 8.1 for the rest of time? that means missing out on DX12, and to be frank Windows 7 and 8.1 had telemetry. (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3g7hr0/removing_telemetry_from_windows_7_and_8x/ )

 

It's a part of OS's these days, we either accept it and treat our computers and the online world as an extension of that bar down your road, or we give up basically, and we all install TalisOS and give up on gaming on AAA titles. 

 

 


PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6900k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

 

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

 

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kierax said:

If Windows 10 is Skynet 1.0 or not is academic, the point is for gamers, do we stick to Windows 7 or 8.1 for the rest of time? that means missing out on DX12, and to be frank Windows 7 and 8.1 had telemetry. (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3g7hr0/removing_telemetry_from_windows_7_and_8x/ )

 

It's a part of OS's these days, we either accept it and treat our computers and the online world as an extension of that bar down your road, or we give up basically, and we all install TalisOS and give up on gaming on AAA titles. 

 

 

Or just use BSD and use Wine. That might be ok.


How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Xiaomi Pocophone F1 6GB RAM 128GB Storage (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with GPU upgrades) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Are you 100% sure?  If answer is YES then you are an idiot too.

I just have proofs that M$ collect personal data. And worst- they sell that data...

Recently I build new rig, install W10, create M$ account with 100% fake information (let say it's "user X"), than install and register needed software (with same "user X") and start using it mainly for browsing and other simple tasks. On this PC never, NEVER was used Gmail (don't even have a youtube profile) but I receive mails like "Dear "user X", it seems that you are using old version of our software- will you consider upgrading your programs to last version?" in MY Gmail account? 

Try to explain me how the fuck someone connects new hardware/software owned by "X" who never, repeat- NEVER uses Gmail  with my  Gmail account? There are ONLY ONE thing in common- my IP address.

There are no problem if someone knows that I own 5 PC's, but to make connection like that you need to know too many personal things... OK, we don't care about what M$ collects and believe them- just like you... But they SELL your data to others- can you believe THEM? 


English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×