Computer issue

Forrest_B
Go to solution Solved by Forrest_B,

Well, my computer seems to have made it through the weekend without an issue. Hopefully it keeps up, but everything seems OK. Thanks everyone for the advice and help, you are awesome :)

I built my pc earlier this year, and today it has been acting a little bit funny and i'm not sure what could be the issue.

So what's happening is my monitor will lose signal from my computer (plugged into a 980 via DVI), my keyboard will go dark and turn off (k70RGB), and my motherboard had a temp indicator/error code display that shuts off as well. The light around my case power button goes out as well. Everything else in the computer appears to be running though, my fans and h100i all keep ticking. I'm not really sure whats happening. It has happened twice today.

Any ideas? If you need any more information let me know.

it kinda sounds like the computer restarted.. what was the motherboard error code?

There was no error code that I could see, though the led indicator went dark. Power supply should be fine wattage wise, It's an RM750 and I have an i5 4690k @ 4.0ghz and a 980

Doubt it is a powersupply issue if the fans are still running, if it was a PSU issue you would get an instant hard shutdown due to loss of power. It may be a motherboard issue though, maybe check for a BIOS update first off

Doubt it is a powersupply issue if the fans are still running, if it was a GPU issue you would get an instant hard shutdown due to loss of power. It may be a motherboard issue though, maybe check for a BIOS update first off

Could it be some kind of protection? Maybe a power surge occurred

2 minutes ago, speedert1201 said:

Could it be some kind of protection? Maybe a power surge occurred

It could be but I still doubt it, what error were you getting?

20 minutes ago, Forrest_B said:

I built my pc earlier this year, and today it has been acting a little bit funny and i'm not sure what could be the issue.

So what's happening is my monitor will lose signal from my computer (plugged into a 980 via DVI), my keyboard will go dark and turn off (k70RGB), and my motherboard had a temp indicator/error code display that shuts off as well. The light around my case power button goes out as well. Everything else in the computer appears to be running though, my fans and h100i all keep ticking. I'm not really sure whats happening. It has happened twice today.

Any ideas? If you need any more information let me know.

Factory reset. See you in a few hours...

Okay,

So my motherboard did have a bios update available, and I just updated.

The update went through fine, however when my computer restarted it powered up and immediately back off and did that a couple of times. I flipped the power supply switch off and back on and it booted up fine. 

22 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

It sounds like it might be a power supply issue. I'm not an expert but it sure sounds like it.

It's definately not a PSU issue.

1 minute ago, Forrest_B said:

Okay,

So my motherboard did have a bios update available, and I just updated.

The update went through fine, however when my computer restarted it powered up and immediately back off and did that a couple of times. I flipped the power supply switch off and back on and it booted up fine. 

I'd be a bit surprised if that was all that was causing your problem.

13 minutes ago, KraftDinner said:

Doubt it is a powersupply issue if the fans are still running, if it was a PSU issue you would get an instant hard shutdown due to loss of power. It may be a motherboard issue though, maybe check for a BIOS update first off

Not Getting an error code because when it happens the error code led goes out

Just now, TheRomanSenate said:

Me too, just want to make sure I exhaust all options before I look at RMA.

Just now, TheRomanSenate said:

Not Getting an error code because when it happens the error code led goes out

Bios battery might be having problems. If the bios update didn't resolve the issue.

1 minute ago, TheRomanSenate said:

Bios battery might be having problems. If the bios update didn't resolve the issue.

Although there'd be other more obvious issues involving the Bios battery if that were the case.

Its hard to tell if the issue is solved because it doesn't happen frequently. It happened once this morning, then I went to class for a few hours and came home and was on my computer for about 2 hours before it happened again.

Its hard to tell if the issue is solved because it doesn't happen frequently. It happened once this morning, then I went to class for a few hours and came home and was on my computer for about 2 hours before it happened again.

Can you plug in a device like a battery bank to charge from the motherboard then open a graphics intense game to stress test the motherboard. I suspect it is definately motherboard related. However it could be as simple as a loose connection getting jarred at random times. Maybe you shake your leg or kick the table. Try to shake your computer a bit to see if it triggers an event.

9 minutes ago, TheRomanSenate said:

Can you plug in a device like a battery bank to charge from the motherboard then open a graphics intense game to stress test the motherboard. I suspect it is definately motherboard related. However it could be as simple as a loose connection getting jarred at random times. Maybe you shake your leg or kick the table. Try to shake your computer a bit to see if it triggers an event.

Just ran the witcher 3 for ~10 minutes. Didnt have a power bank but plugged my ipad into the mobo. Didn't have any issues. Would a loose connection cause only certain aspects to turn off like that? My apartment does have a bit janky power sometimes, and my power strip is near my feet. It's possible that I may have bumped it.

Just now, Forrest_B said:

Just ran the witcher 3 for ~10 minutes. Didnt have a power bank but plugged my ipad into the mobo. Didn't have any issues. Would a loose connection cause only certain aspects to turn off like that? My apartment does have a bit janky power sometimes, and my power strip is near my feet. It's possible that I may have bumped it.

First I recommend getting a Sturdy surge protected power-strip or even a back-up battery for your computer. Especially if your apartment complex has an iffy power situation like that. However now that there's a possibility that you might have jarred the plugs aka strip it's easy to see that you accidentally are knocking your power-strip causing an interruption. This interruption would completely drain your machine causing components to power-off and cycle on immediately afterward. That explains almost all of your described issues. The fans would only have stopped spinning for a second or less which explains why they appeared to not stop at all. A backup battery would allow you to lose power and safely restore power to your computer without risking a short.

It just did it again. I Just plugged my PC into the wall directly to see if that helps with things.

It just did it again. I Just plugged my PC into the wall directly to see if that helps with things.

You should time the instances and see if they occur within a set period of time. Aka 20 minutes-40 minutes etc... I want to know if you can predict failures by time of operation. I recommend turning the computer on letting it run netflix or something and watch until it cuts, then write down the time. I'm hoping that since you have it plugged directly into the wall it'll resolve your issue.

Alright. Ill keep time between the next time it happens and the time after (if plugging into the wall didn't fix it) and report back what I find. Should be sometime tomorrow...

Thanks for the comments.

If anyone else has any ideas as well feel free to toss them around.

I'm pretty sure its either a power issue or a motherboard issue.

Appreciate the help