Samsung NX1 in Canada?

I've been using my Nikon D5200 for a few years now and it's really not cutting it anymore for what I want to do. It's clunky, has relatively poor video quality, unusable autofocus, and a terrible live view display. When I bought the d5200, I did so for photography exclusively and that has come to be a very regrettable choice. For video, it lacks many features I want to be able to use as well as being lacking in quality with low-bitrate and highly processed files. As I don't have too much money and want both photo and video quality, I've come to the conclusion that the $1100 USD Samsung NX1 is my best choice. For lenses, I plan to buy the 18-55mm kit lens for an extra $200 and an F/2.0 30mm Samsung lens. Later on, I plan to upgrade with more lenses, but to start out, I think those 2 will suffice. 

My problem is that I cannot find a single place in Canada that sells the NX1 for a reasonable price. Importing from America would cost about $2000 CAD without taxes, but import tax here is insane and will probably cost at least an additional few hundred dollars. Amazon sells it for $4000 CAD. Does anyone know a place that sells it?

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Have you considered waiting for the new Sony A6300?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

Have you considered waiting for the new Sony A6300?

Yes, but I am a bit discouraged by the lack of headphone out and a top LCD on the A6300. I can't find an NX1 for a decent price anywhere around here so I will probably end up waiting for the A6300 anyway. 

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

I wouldn't buy into Samsung's nx system right now. It's likely they will be abandoning the nx mirrorless system. If they do that means you are stuck with the lenses they currently offer. I believe the nx1 has already been discontinued here in the US. I would recommend going with either a micro four thirds or e mount camera. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I would also consider a Panasonic G7.  Or a high end camcorder.

A top LCD with these mirrorless cameras means faster battery drain.

As for headphone out for audio monitoring, one thing would be to use an external field monitor/recorder that has a headphone port and takes the audio from the HDMI connected to the camera.

Regarding AutoFocus, I never liked relying on AF for video.  Even on my own video camera I am using manual focus.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

20 hours ago, ALwin said:

I would also consider a Panasonic G7.  Or a high end camcorder.

A top LCD with these mirrorless cameras means faster battery drain.

As for headphone out for audio monitoring, one thing would be to use an external field monitor/recorder that has a headphone port and takes the audio from the HDMI connected to the camera.

Regarding AutoFocus, I never liked relying on AF for video.  Even on my own video camera I am using manual focus.

I did look at the G7, and was considering it, but I am looking for a camera that shoots good photos and videos in one. Not that the G7 is particularly bad, but I am looking for a camera that can take high dynamic range and resolution landscapes and fast bursts for wildlife and pets. 

The top LCD is just a convenience, but I think it is useful and as the NX1 and probably other mirror-less cams support USB charging, I can just charge them up on the go with a battery bank which I carry around anyway.

I would get an external recorder/monitor, but that adds cost I am planning to use on lenses. All I have now is a Helios 44-2 and the Nikon lenses I plan to sell with the D5200.

I never use AF anyway as it is really slow and loud on my camera and some of my lenses don't support it, but I am looking into it because I want to be able to shoot from my ghetto shoulder rig from which I can't easily pull focus and from other such setups that don't let me handle the lens precisely mid shot. 

honestly man the exchange rate sucks right now, so 1100 usd plus taxes converted to CAD is actually around $2000.

just look at the D5, $6500 in the US, $8500 in Canada.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, Captain_Slow said:

honestly man the exchange rate sucks right now, so 1100 usd plus taxes converted to CAD is actually around $2000.

I know and took that into account for the budget. As I said in the original, imported excluding import duties its around $2000. That is a cost I'm OK with as I won't upgrade for a long time. Unfortunately, there is no camera that transcends exchange rates, so I am going to have to deal with it. My primary concern with importing is import duties, I've been screwed over by them before and I ended up paying a lot more than I could have.

1 hour ago, Captain_Slow said:

Wow for that difference you might as well take a weekend trip down to the US.

2 hours ago, Infernal Burrito said:

snip

OK it's understandable that you have your requirements.  The currency exchange issue sucks though.  I sometimes face a similar predicament in Switzerland where I am living currently, but I have two things going for me:

• For some reason the German speaking part of Switzerland seems to have prices that are often closer (and on rare occasions cheaper) to prices in the US even accounting for exchange rates, compared to the French speaking part I live in.
  • For Sony products, one of the biggest suppliers seems to have an agreement with Sony and can offer up to 20% off that my video camera was nearly $1000 cheaper than the US.

2 hours ago, ALwin said:

OK it's understandable that you have your requirements.  The currency exchange issue sucks though.  I sometimes face a similar predicament in Switzerland where I am living currently, but I have two things going for me:

• For some reason the German speaking part of Switzerland seems to have prices that are often closer (and on rare occasions cheaper) to prices in the US even accounting for exchange rates, compared to the French speaking part I live in.
  • For Sony products, one of the biggest suppliers seems to have an agreement with Sony and can offer up to 20% off that my video camera was nearly $1000 cheaper than the US.

A lot of the same applies over here too, some products are definitely cheaper here than in the States. Unfortunately, cameras aren't among them aside from a few. I'm lucky to be close to the border as I can drive over to America with relative ease, but when I have to order online (no availability in stores for the NX1 aside from 2 in New York), the import taxes are insane. I think they charged about $100 for customs clearance on a friend's Oneplus One back when CAD and USD were 1:1. Ordering a tripod from B and H (a popular American online retailer) cost me about $60 in import taxes (not including shipping) and it was an $150 tripod. 

On 2/10/2016 at 9:50 PM, Infernal Burrito said:

I've been using my Nikon D5200 for a few years now and it's really not cutting it anymore for what I want to do. It's clunky, has relatively poor video quality, unusable autofocus, and a terrible live view display. When I bought the d5200, I did so for photography exclusively and that has come to be a very regrettable choice. For video, it lacks many features I want to be able to use as well as being lacking in quality with low-bitrate and highly processed files. As I don't have too much money and want both photo and video quality, I've come to the conclusion that the $1100 USD Samsung NX1 is my best choice. For lenses, I plan to buy the 18-55mm kit lens for an extra $200 and an F/2.0 30mm Samsung lens. Later on, I plan to upgrade with more lenses, but to start out, I think those 2 will suffice. 

My problem is that I cannot find a single place in Canada that sells the NX1 for a reasonable price. Importing from America would cost about $2000 CAD without taxes, but import tax here is insane and will probably cost at least an additional few hundred dollars. Amazon sells it for $4000 CAD. Does anyone know a place that sells it?

buy it in the usa

or buy it on amazon.com..then ship it to a drop off place across the boarder..and go pick it up..then you don't have to pay any extra taxes

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile