use raidbox as external drive

JCMSAMA

Hello everyone, 

Im sorry if this thread is not in the correct subforum. I wasnt sure to post it here or in the Servers and NAS section..

A couple of days ago my external harddrive got accidently ripped out the USB and fell rather hard on the ground. Ofcourse it doesnt work anymore and i already contacted a data recovery company to see if my data can be restored..

Since i am a rather clumsy guy i would rather not get another external drive, because it may fall again or something else could happen to it. So i was looking around for a housing for a 3.5 drive. I stumbled upon the Icy Box raid system, which holds 5 3.5" drives

1395149958.jpeg

But the question is, is the purpose of such box solely for RAID or can i put for example just 2 drives in it and use it as external drive? If its possible it would be really handy for me, so i can put it in a cabinet and use it when i need it. I back up my stuff like once every 2 months. So i wouldnt need any auto back up software or anything. I also dont know if a actual RAID setup would be something i need, but if someone can give me a concrete reason to do so i might consider it.

Cheers

Linustechfan#1337

JCMSAMA

IB_NAS5520_info3.png

You should be able to set it to large and then there will be no raid just the largest possible storage.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

If you have a habit of knocking expensive, delicate, and important stuff over, I don't see how getting a bigger, expensive, delicate, and important thing that you are going to move around is going to help.

Buy a Mycloud, stick it somewhere safe, and leave it alone. Buy a second one, put it somewhere else, and the first one can backup to the second one. Then you don't need to spend the big bucks for data recovery that may or may not be successful.

I dont really have a habit of breaking expensive stuff, but sometimes things happen and this time it turned out to be the HDD. But my original plan was when i bought the external drive was to put all of my stuff on and just put it somewhere safe. Which i didnt do, it was almost plugged in the most of the time. If im going to buy a housing its going to be in a cabinet or securely on a shelf so that its safe. Then somewhere along the line i'll get another external drive for copying stuff from my friends etc.

But i have my answer. Thanks for the quick replys! :)

10 hours ago, JCMSAMA said:

~snip~

Hey there JCMSAMA :) Welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry for the troubles you are going through. What is teh brand and model of the external drive that got unplugged and dropped? You may be able to get the data by yourself. 

Also, in order to prevent similar future accidents you may want to consider a NAS as an external storage solution. NAS devices are simple network storage places which are accessible through the network and don't need to be attached to your computer at all. I could suggest checking out WD's NAS solutions and see if any of them appeal to you: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=jkUx1R

If you do need a DAS that can hold some drive you should give us a bit more info like what and how many drives are you planning to have there, what are you going to use it for, any specific features that you need, etc. Do you have the drives or you want to buy them too? 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Sup Captain,

Unfortunatly i already brought the HDD to a data recovery company. I will get the diagnosis in the next 10 days with a price indication. If the diagnosis price is more than i can afford is when i will consider trying to get the data of it myself. But its a WD My Passport ultra 2TB.

i do not really have any knowledge of NAS, ill need to read up more. But i was thinking of ressurecting an old pc i have lying around to be a storage server, (or is that considered a DAS?) connected through network. I have all the parts of the PC lying around but i still need the drives itself. But that shouldnt be that big of a problem

On 12.02.2016 г. at 9:55 PM, JCMSAMA said:

~snip~

A DAS is basically your WD My Passport Ultra drive (Direct Attached Storage).

A NAS is basically any storage drive that is connected and accessible through your network. (Network Attached Storage)
Plugging your WD My Passport Ultra in a router and properly configuring it will count as a NAS and you can access it through the network. :)

The idea of converting an old build into a network storage server is a great idea. Post back if you need help with that or make a new thread. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/