Reliable Data Storage on the Cheap!

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'm still not comfortable using HDD

Then what? Punched cards?

Beauty of Raid5 nad 6 is that when one or two drives fail your data lives on.

8 minutes ago, site_owner said:

Then what? Punched cards?

Beauty of Raid5 nad 6 is that when one or two drives fail your data lives on.

15 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I have to say, I'm still not comfortable using HDD on their side after past experiences with HDD suddenly failing.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Good video.  Would love to see someone do a build of one and compare performance to something like a Synology.  Wife is a professional photog so we have tons of storage needs. We are currently using a Synology and am happy with it I guess, but it is only 4 bays.  Now I have 4 of my original 2TB drives sitting around because I upgraded to four 4TB drives. I'd love to make use of those without investing $600+ in another Synology.  I'm also kinda interested in a NVR for security cameras.  

I am hesitant to dive in to a project like this because I don't know how deep the water is.  A build would help me out a lot!

Instructions unclear. Bought a Synology Disk Station 410 with 4 1.5TB drives for 14 USD at a thrift store.

I'm really liking the server direction that Linus has gone down. He seems to have learned a lesson or two since the fall (and eventual re-birth) of Whonnock. The tidbit about the RAID cards doing their own proprietary thing was a great addition.

Perhaps one day, us PC gamers will mature a bit and move on to building our own data centers. xD

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 2/10/2016 at 9:37 PM, mcr983 said:

I read an interesting article about how google provides massive amounts of storage through the use of inexpensive machines in clusters. It would be interesting for LTT to try and build a functional cluster out of smaller machines. Basically the opposite of 7 Gamers 1 CPU.

1 Gamer, 7 CPUs. OH THE HORROR

23 hours ago, iPolymer said:

I wonder if I can use y old G3258 for a cheap NAS?

I it is stable, have enough sata ports or expansion slots for HBA card then why not?

14 hours ago, site_owner said:

I it is stable, have enough sata ports or expansion slots for HBA card then why not?

Would 2 cores be good? What would a HBA card do?

12 minutes ago, iPolymer said:

Would 2 cores be good? What would a HBA card do?

https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/DataSheet/DiskStation/10-year/DS410/Synology_DS410_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf

If it's better than these specs, you'll be fine.

Also, HBA is Host Bus Adapter. Pretty much means you're adding SATA(Or similar) ports using PCI-e slots.

Forgive my ignorance here, but the LSI 9211-8i and similar cards that are flashed to 'IT Mode' so it can operate like any HBA controller, is staggered spinup still a feature of the controller, or will the drives all try to spin up concurrently during boot?

I was sad to not hear any mention of Dell R710 and the steal that it is on ebay. One of the best solutions you can find for a solid storage server. Yeah it might be a bit more power hungry compared to some of the synology or qnaps, but WAY more flexible and expandable for the future.

• 2 weeks later...

really great video, kicked my in the butt to get take a look for a hba i've needed for quite some time, found this one at a freaking great price (my array is external)

think i payed about 130cad after shipping and customs and crap

http://www.amazon.ca/Sas9200-8E-8Port-SataPlusSas-PCie-LSI00188/dp/B002QJZLCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457018496&sr=8-1&keywords=sas9200-8e

• 2 weeks later...

hi first time posting on here after seeing the reliable data storage video.

has someone made a complete idiots guide on creating a network storage Linus is talking about in the video.

Ive watched the video posted by VictorB, but does his video resolve the issues Linus was talking about in the main article video about the OS not being able to access all of the information from the HDD

what I want is being able to store all my images and videos on a network drive so I can access them anywhere in the world.

I'm new to the PC building world and I don't have spare motherboards sitting about that I can experiment on, so I would like to avoid spending money on equipment that I don't need.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

this may be a silly question, but i know just about building PC's to be a danger and some time overestimate my knowledge and skill level, but I am currently planing a PLEX media server and backup build using unraid 6 and after watching this video i was wondering if instead of flashing the raid card and possibly damaging the card couldn't i just purchase a HBA card such as a LSI LSI00244 (9201-16i) PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS Host Bus Adapter Card since it wont have any raid functionality on board so that the smart monitoring data that was mentioned shouldn't be affected. I know it would be a bit more expensive but i want to max out the system with 15 3 tb drives using 3 NORCO SS-500  hot-swap modules so i would need to flash two cards.