Looking for a new laptop to buy in the coming months

Talax

Hello! I'd like some advice on the best laptop for me to buy that fits my needs... weird weird needs, that fit in at around £1300 - £1500. Since i use my laptop for everything imaginable i needs something that is and all around performer and here is some things that in a perfect world like it to have. these are a few things I'm going to be doing on my laptop, video editing (after effects and vegas 13), photo editing (Photoshop) , 3d modelling & rendering (blender and cinema 4d), content consumption, midi like ableton live 9 and controllers such as the launchpad pro, coding and game development (unity) and some quite light gaming. obviously some are going to be done less than others, basically everything im using it for is hobbies but it will also be used for work in class.

these are some weird needs and a lot of you will just ignore this but i'd rather ask around and make an informed decision on what to buy thanks for your help :)

Big Screen like a 15" but is also small for it size so it can fit in a bag.

High resolution display preferably 4k and touchscreen for literally no other reason than I watch a lot of YouTube and a quick tap of the screen is always convenient. 

Core i7 quad core like a 6700hq.

16gb ram.

ssd is nice but not really necessary i'd rather mass storage but like a 32gb boot ssd is always welcome.

dedicated graphics for light gaming and cuda cores i think for this price bracket the 960m is a good contender.

slim & light ill be carrying it around a lot.

decent battery life (not major though most intensive usage it will be plugged in or near a outlet)

The dell xps 15 has caught my eye, would anyone recommend this? have another other suggestions?

Hey and welcome to LTT! Did you know PC part picker has a laptop picker website?

http://portablepicker.com/

You can narrow by the specs you want. 

Here is a link to a narrowed list of laptops that meet your needs:

http://portablepicker.com/parts/laptop/#W=1400,1840&T=16384,65536&s=13&f=57&g=259,260,261,262,185,263

I suggest picking a few of these and then asking opinions on them. 

EDIT: Don't get scared off by the prices, often times you can configure a laptop to only have the features you need to cut down the cost.

Also your looking at a minimum of $800 USD for a laptop like this. 

I don't believe that the XPS 15 has a dedicated video card. It may be an optional feature.

I suggest if you want to utilize CUDA, then buy some type of MSi or ASUS or Sager gaming laptop, since they almost always have a GTX M series dedicated video card, and a Core i7 as well as a high capacity SSD are also options. However, they have large footprints and can reach thicknesses of well in excess of an inch, so they won't really be bookbag friendly. Same thing if you don't feel like carrying around the weight of a small car.

But there are thin-and-lights that offer these features, most notably (for me) being the Razer Blade laptop. I think you can get it in a 17" screen (please correct me if that's wrong).

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

11 minutes ago, GR1MES said:

I don't believe that the XPS 15 has a dedicated video card. It may be an optional feature.

I suggest if you want to utilize CUDA, then buy some type of MSi or ASUS or Sager gaming laptop, since they almost always have a GTX M series dedicated video card, and a Core i7 as well as a high capacity SSD are also options. However, they have large footprints and can reach thicknesses of well in excess of an inch, so they won't really be bookbag friendly. Same thing if you don't feel like carrying around the weight of a small car.

But there are thin-and-lights that offer these features, most notably (for me) being the Razer Blade laptop. I think you can get it in a 17" screen (please correct me if that's wrong).

i think the dell xps 13 doesnt have the dedi graphics card and i was looking at the razer blade but this is what razer does to the uk click on united kingom when it askes for you country http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/store/razer-blade

33 minutes ago, GR1MES said:

It does come with a 960M, so long you pick at least a quad core processor.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap