Amazon releases its new game engine based on CryEngine

Source: http://kotaku.com/amazon-releases-its-own-game-engine-for-free-1757995787

Amazon Releases Its Own Game Engine For Free

Lumberyard, as Amazon calls it, is based on Crytek’s famous CryEngine, and can be used to develop games for both PC and consoles. It’s also free to download, and comes with “no seat fees, subscription fees, or requirements to share revenue.”

Fees come in only, as Lumberyard’s official page notes, if the game takes advantage of the engine’s integration with Amazon Web Services for multiplayer. Besides AWS, the engine has specific features which target Twitch

So Lumberyard is basically a free version of CryEngine, I wonder how it compares to other game engines. It's currently in beta, so it's not quite finished yet but you can download it right here:

http://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/downloads/

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Its based on Crytek but its free :S is there no licencing issue there?

But this could be superb for education :)

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Cool , another free game engine.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Hopefully it doesn't have tessellation based on CryEngine...

AMD's got to get its ass in to gear and improve its GPU further (they started improving tessellation with Tonga/Fiji), so its actually good if they get pushed to improve part of their GPU architectures.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

Pretty sure it's based on their free SDK.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It is always nice to see things like this open for the public to use freely. I'm gonna have to check it out for sure. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

What they did to those rocks/objects was inexcusable. Looking at the wiremesh it is anything but 'pushing AMD for improvement'.

Might as well make a game that goes ham with compute shaders and say it pushes Nvidia for improvement.

It managed to get a game looking good years later while still taxing graphics cards. Also, compute shaders really aren't in high use in games or game engines at all. Tessellation is.

PMSL

30 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

So Lumberyard is basically a free version of CryEngine

CryEngine was Free until late 2013 when Crytek realised they couldn't hold together. Too bad they went under before finishing Homefront the Revolution, I don't think the company that's completing it has the same talent for great gameply, stability and insane graphics. Crytek had a thing for all that together even with the EA rush on the third game.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

...in no part thanks to the overkill tessellation

It bugs me how you stubbornly defend this obviously jerk move against AMD...

I'm just stating the facts. Its not my fault AMD decided to focus on the wrong thing.

PMSL

this makes no sense i could understand autodesk getting into game engine business but amazon and with a copy of crygine gtfo

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Alright then I'll just put this here so everyone can see where AMD went wrong

Higher tessellation=finer details.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

this makes no sense i could understand autodesk getting into game engine business but amazon and with a copy of crygine gtfo

Honestly I'm not sure why people are surprised, they announced their own studio with devs that worked on Bioshock, WoW, Portal, Shadow of Mordor, Infamous, Half Life 2, Dota 2, L4D, Halo and The Last of Us. That's a pretty serious team out there. 

Now I'm interested if this is the game they were recruiting for. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

33 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

This is aimed at people making multiplayer games that use AWS infrastructure and Twitch integrations which are 2 biggest selling points after you take FREE for granted :D

About me | Blog 

34 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

1287666826226.png

Or at least I hope that's the face you made when posting in this thread. 

46 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Yeah, got to love those finer details you can't see because they're below ground. Idiot.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wow Amazon is getting their hands into everything these days.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Gonna try to play around with this engine this weekend and see what's up.

I hope it's easier to work with than CryEngine apparently is.

52 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Yeah, got to love those finer details you can't see because they're below ground. Idiot.

Not all of them, and making an object fully allows more flexibility if you want to re-use it later.

PMSL

3 hours ago, XDroidie626 said:

3 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

Pretty sure it's based on their free SDK.

It's actually a full version of CryEngine - source code included - with a modified networking system and ease-of-use changes. Amazon paid a big up-front fee along with future revenue sharing with Crytek for the ability to re-license the engine. 

As for the tessellation issue, apparently Crytek needed to force the DX11 patch out the door in the shortest time possible, so a lot of tessellation was added to objects in order to quickly increase quality. The effect on AMD GPUs wasn't massive though, 5-10FPS max afaik.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Cool but Unreal Engine is free too. You only pay if your game is released with a price and is successful.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You lost me there bud

It does increase object quality, to certain point. The idea at the time was just to turn it up to 11 and throw out the patch, beyond the point that you'd see a quality difference. It has nothing to do with the engine and everything to do with the developer.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Not mention lots of them hidden underground?

If this doesn't scream sabotage I don't know what it is.

This point has been disproven already. When in-game, the renderer culls objects out of sight. When in wireframe mode, that object culling is disabled. Crytek even pointed this out themselves.

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Or at least I hope that's the face you made when posting in this thread. 

I'm not sure you understand the impact tesselation can on graphics or have never used something like Heaven benchmark. 

Btw that is no vs max tesselation iirc.

Tessellation-Ex.jpg

unigine_dx11_tessellation_hardocp.jpg

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Have a look at the vid I linked, so see how much better it made those objects appear.

I will when I get home, on phone atm. The part how better they look I leave to devs, and to engine. Btw I was talking tesselation in general. :)