Victoria police want more powers...

linuxfan66

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/vic-police-want-to-shoot-gps-trackers-at-fleeing-cars-414804?eid=3&edate=20160209&utm_source=20160209_PM&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter

Police officers in Victoria have put forward a case for GPS tracking devices to be shot onto cars speeding away from officers in order to reduce the risk involved in high-speed chases.

Officers also asked for remote vehicle disabling technology that would cut off a car's fuel supply and take control of its brakes.

The ideas arose from a survey of almost 3000 officers by the Victorian Police Association, which found 93 percent of the surveyed officers were unhappy with the force's current pursuit policy.

Police wanted their superiors to invest in technology that would allow them to avoid or bring pursuits to a safe end.

A "fleeing vehicle tagging system", as termed in the survey, would allow a "laser guided projectile" to be fired at a fleeing vehicle so police can track its movements via GPS.

Police could then follow and monitor the tagged vehicle at a safe distance and avoid a high-speed chase.

Officers also suggested implementing a remote disabling system that would cut off a car's fuel and control its braking capabilities.

now my point i have respect for police. And i take no issue with gps darts for fleeing cars and using already installed onstar style antitheft system for tracking just i have no issue with them having guns to defend themselves and protect others. However granting them more powers when they already have security cameras, helicopters, etc in high risk cases to track stolen cars. I'm not sure thats a good idea. In addition internet connecting breaks, an fuel systems would make for hackers playground to cause havoc... I just want real cops doing real work on the beat and not using technology to avoid taking risks a cop can reasonably be asked to take if they signed up the do persuit driving.

as this comment pointed out:

This article illuminates what is wrong with our law enforcement agencies.
They can't see anything but their own work and safety needs.
These have got to be the most selfish self centered suggestions possible and the authors (and supporters) should be removed immediately from any responsible role in law enforcement. The public needs protection from these cretins.

i dont agree with everything said her but i agree if their police there is risks to take because you signed up within reason(and are properly paid to take it).

anyway too repeat i dont take issue with gps darts. I take issue with enabling remote control for key vehicles systems by default.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

"Officers also suggested implementing a remote disabling system that would cut off a car's fuel and control its braking capabilities" this could be really bad and scary to if in the wrong hands.

GPS darts are cool and would love to see them used.

but if any of these are used i would expect strict protocol to be used so they cant be misused.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

would be better if they could do something about the hoons outside my house

5 minutes ago, pcman365 said:

would be better if they could do something about the hoons outside my house

Just throw a brick at them /s

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

Victoria: A state in Australia.

Also, not surprising NSW and QLD police have been asking for this for a while.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Policing is one of the professions most populated by psychopaths. That means that many of them have extremely low capability to make sound and well-reasoned judgements, and that, on average, they are highly impulsive, and that their thinking is heavily polarized into good / bad, us vs them, etc. It also means that many who are police can be very lacking in consideration, and have tendency to be pathological liars, equating both a truth and a lie as equal tools. It means that many police have very dulled perceptions, make rash decisions that regularly create problems where there existed none before, and that they will fail to recognize or acknowledge their own wrong-doing, and even go to extreme lengths to deny and cover up their wrong-doing.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Let's follow very basic logic:

1) How many chases do police actually engage in, say annually?

2) How many stops without probable cause and overall harassment like speed tramps?

3) How many of you think they claim they need it for 1) but will use it for 2)

Case fucking closed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

[removed]

That's an EMP.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It takes about 100$ and next to no knowledge to jam GPS signals in a 10 km radius....

If they actually invest millions in such a system, the criminals can keep up, but with much lower cost.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Tagging fleading vehicles is fine I guess but they'd still need to follow within sight so the runner doesn't just find somewhere to take it off before the police catch up. Remote take over of any of that vehicles functions is way more dangerous to other drivers than sirens on for a chase. The first concern should be the safety of those around the incident, then the safety of the properteis around and in question, last is the safety of the officer. That's how the job works, officer safety is an internal concern for the department, but in duty the first concern is the safety of private citizens (including the person/s in question).

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Its always funny to see people talking on the Internet who have no knowledge in what they are talking about.

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Let's follow very basic logic:

1) How many chases do police actually engage in, say annually?

2) How many stops without probable cause and overall harassment like speed tramps?

3) How many of you think they claim they need it for 1) but will use it for 2)

Case fucking closed.

There is no probable cause in Australia. Police are able to stop any vehicle on the road for a mere breath teat.

3 hours ago, zacRupnow said:

Tagging fleading vehicles is fine I guess but they'd still need to follow within sight so the runner doesn't just find somewhere to take it off before the police catch up. Remote take over of any of that vehicles functions is way more dangerous to other drivers than sirens on for a chase. The first concern should be the safety of those around the incident, then the safety of the properteis around and in question, last is the safety of the officer. That's how the job works, officer safety is an internal concern for the department, but in duty the first concern is the safety of private citizens (including the person/s in question).

I dont understand... the safety of properties is more important than human life?

1 hour ago, Hexram said:

I dont understand... the safety of properties is more important than human life?

Not exactly. Police safety is supposed to be addressed internally, assignment of kelvar, self safety training, who gets rifles. But outside the station their job is to serve the law, meaning protecting citizens rights and keeping public or private property from damage. If the cop is following a car that won't pull over the officer is not allowed to ram, bump or shoot until that driver becomes a lethal concern. Same outside a vehicle, officers cannot search you bags on request, protection of property.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

4 hours ago, Hexram said:

There is no probable cause in Australia. Police are able to stop any vehicle on the road for a mere breath teat.

So they can basically do a fucking drive by and shoot your ass? I guess this isnt that big of a deal then.

-------

Current Rig

-------

gps darts im fine with but remote disabling feature built into cars that sounds like a disaster when hackers are thrown into the mix

GPS darts can easily be misused and be re-purposed by an office who suspects his partner may be cheating.
What a great way to spend tax payers money!

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

gps darts im fine with but remote disabling feature built into cars that sounds like a disaster when hackers are thrown into the mix

Well we'll see when the hackers start focusing on that. I use to work for OnStar so I kinda know all those systems in the cars associated with OnStar, such as speed capping and preventing a car from being started. I'm not to sure about the disable feature for the same reasons you are. We as an agent at OnStar can't use the feature until the person first calls the police for stolen vehicle etc. Basically the cops will have to work with us to enable the feature to avoid the crazy parent or a false alarm. With more hackers today looking into hacking cars, I'm sure it'll be an issue, but all it would be (for OnStar vehicles) would be speed caps. The disable feature only works if the car is off. It prevents ignition, and nothing else. If only car makers where more active with dealing with hackers. Since it is an issue they can't run from. >_>

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I saw about this and I think it's a waste of money.

Just have the cop cars pursue it because at one point the car they are chasing will either run out of petrol or the person will try and do a runner.

Seriously, when the car stops moving, the person who was driving has probably made a runner from the crime scene.

Common sense Victorian Police? No.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

12 hours ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

I saw about this and I think it's a waste of money.

Just have the cop cars pursue it because at one point the car they are chasing will either run out of petrol or the person will try and do a runner.

Seriously, when the car stops moving, the person who was driving has probably made a runner from the crime scene.

Common sense Victorian Police? No.

i see the value in the gps darts as driving at high speeds on a busy road can be very dangerous with a gps dart the can just track the car and the cop can get him later

14 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That's an EMP.

EMP = ElectroMagnetic Pulse, it behaves like a shockwave of an explosion in most cases.

Yes you can keep pushing pulses so it looks like a continous thing and creates something that looks like it's own magnetic field, but there is no way you can store such powerful thing in a size of an harpoon. I mean the size would be almost as big as the car itself...

And going nuclear won't help because that would just be 1 big emp. And that would be stupid. Also radiaton and other bad things.

It would make more sense if it just shorts out the car. Something similar to a taser that could blow up the ecu or the battery or something like that. And disable the car that way.

But whatever i'm not a scientist :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

What's that? Government wants to be able to limit your ability to travel, as well as tracking where you do travel?

1984 was not an instruction manual, it was a warning.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs