980 for 420$ or wait?

Calypso0

So i'm being offered a MSI 980 for 420 bucks. I dont know if i should go for it or if i should really wait for pascal. What should i do?!?!? lol its really tempting me.

Wait for Pascal, sure.. 2017...

No but srsly tho, go for it... Nobody knows when Pascal will release.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

i'd wait or buy something else. although 420 isnt a bad deal, you could add a bit more and get a new one they are 480 for a new one. just my opinion.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

1 minute ago, Ramontes said:

i think the 980 is the way to go i thought the same thing when i bought my 980ti and now look how long i would have waited for nothing

It sure is tempting to me lol

1 minute ago, That_Random_Guy said:

i'd wait or buy something else. although 420 isnt a bad deal, you could add a bit more and get a new one they are 480 for a new one. just my opinion.

I think that too, and it is new its from Jet.

Pascal is most likely going to be expensive when it's released. If you're being offered a brand new 980 for $420 go for it, if not wait for Pascal and instead go for the old 900 GPU's since they'll most likely drop in price due to Pascal.

Just now, Calypso0 said:

I think that too, and it is new its from Jet.

I assumed it was used for that price but if its new then i'd jump on it. what card do you currently have?

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

1 minute ago, Le Lion de Barreras said:

Pascal is most likely going to be expensive when it's released. If you're being offered a brand new 980 for $420 go for it, if not wait for Pascal and instead go for the old 900 GPU's since they'll most likely drop in price due to Pascal.

Personally i dont think pascal is going to be all that much better. idk why people are hyping it so much

3 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

I assumed it was used for that price but if its new then i'd jump on it. what card do you currently have?

Right now i got a r9 380, I'm just getting tired of amd drivers. 

1 minute ago, That_Random_Guy said:

Personally i dont think pascal is going to be all that much better. idk why people are hyping it so much

i think the same but the only thing that was tempting me was vram but honesetly that isnt as big of a deal as me and many others make it up to be

i think the same but the only thing that was tempting me was vram but honesetly that isnt as big of a deal as me and many others make it up to be

But isn't going to have the new HBM2 which is better. Also, some will have that GDDRx.

6 minutes ago, Calypso0 said:

Right now i got a r9 380, I'm just getting tired of amd drivers. 

heck a 980 will be a pretty decent jump then yea id go for it though idk what res your gaming at but if your at 1080 like the majority then a 980 will be overkill for some time.

6 minutes ago, Ramontes said:

It would be useful for people like me that have triple monitor setup and such, but other than that the imporvements cant be anywhere near where people are hyping it, technology development doesnt work that way.

its not like gddr5 will become obsolete, and 4gb should do for 1080p just fine

Yea I'm going for it after watching some review videos and thanks to you guys!

Welp i just bought it and the grand total came out to 412.39! Thanks everyone.

20 minutes ago, StareX said:

Wait for Pascal, sure.. 2017...

Sorry for being a noob and out of no where, but what is Pascal gonna be equal to? Should I be considering this in the r9 390/gtx 970 zone?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

15 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

Eh, I'll admit if the hardware spec rumors are true; I can see why everyone is getting hyped for it. But that remains to be seen.

4 minutes ago, Calypso0 said:

Congrats.

1 hour ago, Calypso0 said:

Good choice. If I wasn't in a hurry and don't need to go balls to the wall, I'd wait for a holiday if not til newer cards to arrive and get even better pricing. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

6 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

Sorry for being a noob and out of no where, but what is Pascal gonna be equal to? Should I be considering this in the r9 390/gtx 970 zone?

Well, I dont really know since Pascal will use HBM2 and some other stuff that are really irrelevant for games in my opinion, I believe 980 Ti or above .. depends. I mean the 780 is a 960-970 card, plus minus...

Or the 780 Ti is equal in performance to a 970 even tho a 970 can be faster in some ways..

So Im not sure.. :P

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.