What is most needed to stream HQ

My dad likes to hook his laptop up to his TV and stream movies through HDMI. Blu Ray and HD content all lag and stutter considerably. My question is, what is most needed for streaming in this way? Is it the processor, graphics card, or something else? I understand that its a combination of all of that but I would like to know which part to invest in more than the others if streaming through HDMI is the main use. Thank you for any help.

1 minute ago, SlightlyStoopid said:

My dad likes to hook his laptop up to his TV and stream movies through HDMI. Blu Ray and HD content all lag and stutter considerably. My question is, what is most needed for streaming in this way? Is it the processor, graphics card, or something else? I understand that its a combination of all of that but I would like to know which part to invest in more than the others if streaming through HDMI is the main use. Thank you for any help.

cpu...but for bd decoding...gpu helps alot

it might even help to rip the bd to the hdd as an iso and then play it that way

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

if he is streaming to his lapop off of like a NAS or an external computer, what is the network configuration? that could be a bottleneck if he is using wifi as compared to like powerline or gigabit ethernet.

any reasonably modern laptop (last 5 years or so) should easily be able to play bluerays or 1080p video easily over HDMI as long as its not like a netbook or something, if he is streaming from like netflix, what is his internet speed? 5 mbps is the ABSOLUTE minimum for down, but most cable broadband should be faster than that as long as its not like value internet, even TWC around heres standard internet that is like 35 bucks a month is 15 down, 1 up, which is enough for most things other than downloading gigantic files.

He streams movies locally, sometimes netflix but we have 50 MB/s download. He never has problems with the network, just when he streams it it lags and slows down and becomes choppy as if the laptop cannot push the HD or Blu Ray content, the laptop is pretty old so that is why I am looking for a new one, I just wanted to know going forward if I should invest in the CPU or GPU or something else to keep everything smooth, thank you for your guys help

2 minutes ago, SlightlyStoopid said:

He streams movies locally, sometimes netflix but we have 50 MB/s download. He never has problems with the network, just when he streams it it lags and slows down and becomes choppy as if the laptop cannot push the HD or Blu Ray content, the laptop is pretty old so that is why I am looking for a new one, I just wanted to know going forward if I should invest in the CPU or GPU or something else to keep everything smooth, thank you for your guys help

pretty much any laptop that has at least an i3 or higher (no pentium on celeron in my opinion) should be able to do halfway decent, even my 4 year old sandy bridge i3 laptop with intergrated graphics can deal with 4k content (with some stuttering) in VLC if its local on the HDD.

Thank you, do you know if using HDMI from the laptop to a 60 inch TV makes any difference? Meaning, does it make it harder for the computer to push the content onto it, compared to just watching on the laptop itself?

11 hours ago, SlightlyStoopid said:

Thank you, do you know if using HDMI from the laptop to a 60 inch TV makes any difference? Meaning, does it make it harder for the computer to push the content onto it, compared to just watching on the laptop itself?

How old is the laptop? I've seen laptops before that have older standards of hdmi that cant quite handle 1080p

Did you try MPC-HC with DXVA2 copy back decoding?