4790k AIO liquid cooled overheating and causing crashes.

WORM
Go to solution Solved by Sportiva,
1 minute ago, WORM said:

That too, everything is stock, i just checked.

I'd try to remount the cooler again making sure not to over do the thermal compound and if that doesn't work i'd RMA the cooler.

Hello! I have a i7-4790k liquid cooled, and not overclocked chip, with a corsair H100i in a push pull config (which i just changed today from pull pull). Recently it has been reaching very high temperatures and has caused blue screens and occasionally a black screen which has a lot of information on it and talking about something.. shell.. I'm not really sure. Unfortunately i am not really sure what would be making my computer crash, usually 15 mins into a more graphically instense game, or 30-60 min in a less graphically intense game like CSGO. It usually crashes at about 70 degrees Celsius, according to what my motherboard is reading (it has a temp reading on the bottom of the board). I am basically always running games maxed at 1080p. Also, even though Luke pretty much proved that this was not really a worry, there is not really a cable in site so cable management is not a worry. Here's the full list of specs for my build:

Case NZXT H440, stock fan config - 1 of the three fans in the front, which was the bottom one

Power supply: EVGA supernova semi modular 750 watt 80+ bronze 

Drives: Kingston SSDNOW300 120GB and Western digital blue 1 TB

Motherboard: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: Zotac 980ti AMP extreme edition

CPU: Intel core i7-4790k (non-overclocked)

RAM: 16GB 4x4GB ddr3 Corsair Vengeance

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO liquid cooler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as id like to get back to playing games, thank you!

Have you tried to reseat the cooler?

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

Just now, Sportiva said:

Have you tried to reseat the cooler?

Yes, I think if i remember correctly, the problems started after i rebuild my pc to clean it, including remounting the cooler, in which i put on too much thermal paste so i remounted it afterwards to fix it, im pretty sure it is correctly mounted now.

1 minute ago, WORM said:

Yes, I think if i remember correctly, the problems started after i rebuild my pc to clean it, including remounting the cooler, in which i put on too much thermal paste so i remounted it afterwards to fix it, im pretty sure it is correctly mounted now.

Do you know what the temps of your GPU are when it crashes?

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

Just now, Sportiva said:

Do you know what the temps of your GPU are when it crashes?

I'm not 100%sure but i think its around the 60 degrees mark

2 minutes ago, WORM said:

Clean up the thermal paste on both the CPU and Cooler block with isopropyl alcohol. 70 degrees way too high for a liquid cooler with a CPU running stock. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, WORM said:

I'm not 100%sure but i think its around the 60 degrees mark

How tight is the CPU cooler?

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Clean up the thermal paste on both the CPU and Cooler block with isopropyl alcohol. 70 degrees way too high for a liquid cooler with a CPU running stock. 

I did do this with rubbing alchohol when i rebuilt my PC, ill do it again though if this is likely the problem

1 minute ago, Sportiva said:

How tight is the CPU cooler?

Tight, but not like bending the board or anything.

1 minute ago, WORM said:

Tight, but not like bending the board or anything.

When the computer crashes does the cooler block or radiator feel warm?

going out on a limb here but when you install the cooler do any of the hoses get kinked or pinched restricting the flow of water? 

Just now, S1lent_5am said:

going out on a limb here but when you install the cooler do any of the hoses get kinked or pinched restricting the flow of water? 

Nope, they seem pretty resistant and not kinked, I can feel water rushing through it when i put my hand around the hose.

2 minutes ago, Sportiva said:

When the computer crashes does the cooler block or radiator feel warm?

The cooler block is general not super hot on top but around it it is and the radiator is pretty damn warm, the exhaust area from just the cpu is hot too.

2 minutes ago, WORM said:

The cooler block is general not super hot on top but around it it is and the radiator is pretty damn warm, the exhaust area from just the cpu is hot too.

Try and go into the bios and make sure all the cpu settings like voltage and core ratio are stock. (I know you didn't overclock)

1 minute ago, Sportiva said:

Try and go into the bios and make sure all the cpu settings like voltage and core ratio are stock. (I know you didn't overclock)

1 minute ago, WORM said:

I'd try to remount the cooler again making sure not to over do the thermal compound and if that doesn't work i'd RMA the cooler.

Just now, Sportiva said:

Alright thanks I'm going to try that, i thought that must be the case but i was just worried because i just remounted it, thank you for your help, marking this as solved.

Just now, WORM said:

Alright thanks I'm going to try that, i thought that must be the case but i was just worried because i just remounted it, thank you for your help, marking this as solved.

No problem 

6 minutes ago, WORM said:

What are the fan speeds on the h100i and are you using corsair link?