GTX 960 Budget GPU?

Raginryuu

Hi all! 

I am here before you all to ask a question. Now I am planning on building a computer (what else could I be building?). I am wondering what GPU I could get that is also at a budget. I think that a Gigabyte GTX 960 Windforce 4gb would be a good budget gpu (~$200). But my friend suggests that I check it with other people that I am getting the most performance for my buck. Also I am planning on if I ever have to, i'll buy another one for a SLI config. Thanks 

Raginryuu

380x or 380 would be a better option. 

Magical Pineapples

380 380 380

please don't make the mistake of buying a 960

the 2gb frame buffer gets maxed out so quickly

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

4 minutes ago, Raginryuu said:

Hi all! 

I am here before you all to ask a question. Now I am planning on building a computer (what else could I be building?). I am wondering what GPU I could get that is also at a budget. I think that a Gigabyte GTX 960 Windforce 4gb would be a good budget gpu (~$200). But my friend suggests that I check it with other people that I am getting the most performance for my buck. Also I am planning on if I ever have to, i'll buy another one for a SLI config. Thanks 

Raginryuu

Depends on what resolution and refreshrate you want to play and the games you play.

edit: you can even play on the cpu graphics till pascal is out.

I have a 4GB EVGA GTX 960 SSC. I love it. Frankly, it does everything I ask of it, and with a mild OC, it can handle just about any game I throw at it (I don't play Crysis 3 or Witcher 3 so, yeah).

If I had to do it again? I'd probably still get the 960 because I've had great luck with EVGA cards in the past and am fairly loyal to the brand, but if EVGA made a 380 or 380X, I'd have an AMD in there right now.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

10 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

380 380 380

please don't make the mistake of buying a 960

the 2gb frame buffer gets maxed out so quickly

There is a 4gb version. Still, the R9 380 is far better. 

13 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

Depends on what resolution and refreshrate you want to play and the games you play.

edit: you can even play on the cpu graphics till pascal is out.

Then you will be waiting for the next series of video cards for ever.

Oh wait! wait for pascal!

oh wait! wait for gpuX!

Wait! ZEN 2.0 is coming!

and you will wait forever. Get it now or wait a bit for pascal, won't make a difference.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

I am currently using the 960 ssc. Its only 2gbs of vram but it plays (Fifa 16, F1 2015, Battlefield 4 and SWTOR) everything I want maxed out nicely. if you are going for the latest games, I would buy something more powerful but for last years stuff the 960 does a tip top job.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

2 minutes ago, r1Ns3 said:

Then you will be waiting for the next series of video cards for ever.

Oh wait! wait for pascal!

oh wait! wait for gpuX!

Wait! ZEN 2.0 is coming!

and you will wait forever. Get it now or wait a bit for pascal, won't make a difference.

It will make a lot of difference. If pascal is released in two months (not sure) he/she will be happy he/she waited a bit longer.

Sure you'll have to buy something eventually, but the closer we get to pascal or any new gpu gen the better it is to wait a bit and pick up a gpu nice and cheap.

But hey, it isn't my money, but if you want to buy one now because you 'need it' you will be best of with the 380 instead of the 960.

The 960 is a nice card, but the R9 380 offers superior performance, but If you plan to go with SLI/ Crossfire in the future, then the 960 is your dog, since it draws a lot less power than the R9 380. 

What I would do is hang in there until Nvidia and AMD release their new GPUs, and at the same time try and save a bit of money and see if you can get a better hardware, but I think Nvidia will release Pascal GPUs in that price range until the end of the year, so you'll be sitting ducks until then. 

I conclusion, the 380 is better, but you'll need a beefy PSU if you want to run Crossfire, and the 960 is bit slower, but you'd save yourself a penny in the PSU if you run SLI.

PS: I don't recommend running multiple GPU configurations, since it causes a lot of problems, and some games will not even run, so if you could get an extra Jackson from between the couch cushions, I'd recommend the R9 380x. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, no the 960 does NOT draw a "lot less" power than a R9 380 in Crossfire mode. Less, yes. But not a "lot less".

I know that is the conventional wisdom on the Internet. It has been said many times before.  That doesn't make it true though. In fact, the advice to get one great card instead of 2 value cards like the XFX DD 4GB R9 380 doesn't really pass scrutiny either. With MIR rebates bringing this card's price down WAY low, the card presents the best value in the marketplace. By far.

According to eTeknix, this is the TDP of 2x R9 380 (2GB version) in Crossfire mode, 

power3.jpg?w=800

Now 260 watts is pretty damned good if you ask me. 

The performance on the 2x R9 380 in crossfire mode is where the tale gets told. It scaled with only about a 5% hit. That makes a pair of value cards like the XFX DD 4GB R9 380 easily the best value card on the market. A pair of em takes a R9 Fury or Titan to beat the performance. And for the FPS per dollar? You can't touch the 380 in Crossfire mode.

luxmark4.jpg?w=800

That good? Really?

Yup. Really.  

bf41080.jpg?w=800

You can get away with a 600 Watt PS, but a 750w or 850w would be wiser.

BTW, temps are pretty good on the R9 380 Crossfire under load at about 71c. The heat issues arise with the cards in idle mode. They run at about 60-61, but the fans don't spin up on the cards when idle. You will want good case ventilation though. 

temps1.jpg?w=800

On 2/8/2016 at 2:03 PM, Wouterrinos said:

It will make a lot of difference. If pascal is released in two months (not sure) he/she will be happy he/she waited a bit longer.

Sure you'll have to buy something eventually, but the closer we get to pascal or any new gpu gen the better it is to wait a bit and pick up a gpu nice and cheap.

But hey, it isn't my money, but if you want to buy one now because you 'need it' you will be best of with the 380 instead of the 960.

Citation? Because Pascal is only being announced, not released.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

There will always be a new card out right around the corner... If you can't wait or simply want it now then look at the 380. The 960 isn't worth it. Also don't bother SLI or CF with low end cards. You'll be better off spending your money on a good high end card like the 980TI. You can always sell your card down the road when you have more saved up.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

I'm sorry. I do not see this logic. I understand that it is often stated. I understand that even Linus Sebastian has said it. too.

But that does not make it rational advice. It is plainly NOT a better deal to buy a GeForce 980Ti for $630 than it is to buy 2 XFX R9 380 for $340 (with Mail-in rebate). When the performance is about equal and the cost if about one-half?

Nope. Not a batter deal; not a wiser deal. The fact it is oft-repeated, including by some very smart and experienced tech people does not magically make it true this time. Not for these products offered at these comparative prices. Look at the charts and do the math.