How to remove to ATX power connector pins WITHOUT special tools!

BCMods

This guide applies to 20/4 pin motherboard connectors, 4/8 pin CPU power connectors as well as 6/8 pin GPU connectors. It can be used to assist you in sleeving your cables and/or replacing your connectors. I'm not responsible for you breaking your PSU/power connectors and voiding your warranty.

Tools required;

Staples

Patience

Optional extras;

Needle-nose pliers

Flathead screwdriver

Electrical tape

Lighter

Start by taking a few staples. You need to get them separated but due to their size this can be a little tricky. I found the easiest way to do this if you don't have long fingernails is to take the staples, lay them on a scratch resistant surface (I used my mouse mat) and apply pressure with a flathead screwdriver.

2-1_zpsfe18da13.jpg

Once you have at least 2 staples on their own, bend them out into a right angle.

4-1_zps77cb0d05.jpg

What you're trying to do with the staple is press the little clips down on the side of the pins (pictured below), releasing them from the connector.

6-1_zps99dc57f2.jpg

The easiest way to do this is to insert the first staple right in the middle left side of the pin you're trying to remove.

5-1_zps113cb7b5.jpg

7-1_zps1cd671e2.jpg

When inserting the staple, you will feel a slight click, which is the little clip being moved.

Once the first staple is inserted, the second should become a lot easier to release the clip due to the added pressure. If you're having trouble with the fist staple, try leaving it in so the space is still restricted, inserting the second staple successfully, then coming back to the first with the second still inserted.

8_zpsd52265df.jpg

Hopefully, if you've done everything right, the pin should pull free with a reasonable amount of force. ONLY PULL BY THE HEATSHRINK! If your cables are sleeved and you pull on the sleeving, it will slide away from the heatshrink and you'll either wreck it, or have to go through the daunting process of getting the sleeving back into the heatshrink unless you have any more to replace it with.

9_zpsf904b62c.jpg

After a while (it doesn't take long at all once you get the hang of it) you should end up with something like this;

10_zps1a3765ae.jpg

To reinsert your pins into their connectors, simply push them in. Some can be a lot harder than others but a pair of needle-nose pliers should sort out any problems. The two sharp prongs need to be inserted facing the latch that locks your power connector into the female socket. I'm unsure as to whether or not they'll go in the other way around but since that's the way they came out, i'll leave them as they were.

Hopefully your hard work should pay off and you'll end up with something like this (I replaced my 8 pin connectors with 6 because of my new GPU);

10_zps1a3765ae.jpg

12_zps47d1e800.jpg

A couple of tips

Tape up your unused pins with electrical tape. Even though the extra 2 pins on an 8 pin connector are grounds, you don't want them touching.

13_zpsbcb1d009.jpg

If you're having trouble getting a pin to release, try pushing up on the heatshrink on the wire to force it further into the connector.

If you do accidentally pull on your sleeving and end up making it look like this, there is a fix.

14_zps2f73dd49.jpg

Simply bend the heatshrink/end of the sleeving at a 45 degree angle and use a fat-head screwdriver to force the frayed sleeving back into the heatshrink. Once all of the loose ends are back in, push up on the sleeving to get it right up inside of the heatshrink. The use a lighter and wave the flame across the end of the heatrink to seal it up. Try not to set anything on fire...

15_zps20afe578.jpg

Hope this helped, feel free to ask any questions :)

nice im planing to sleeve my psu once i have time; they were quite a pain on cheap psu's also nice usage for SG Note :)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Nice, you shouldn't have any issues so long as you take your time :)

His mousemat is a Samsung Galaxy Note....

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

His mousemat is a Samsung Galaxy Note....
Yeah I'm a little curious about that..

• 4 years later...

Yes the thred is old. No, I don't care.

I'd just like to say that the tip of adding the first staple to the left side of the pin for some reason helped me out immensely.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3,5GHz

-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3i

Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate LGA1151 ATX

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2133MHz

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 White

-Fans: 3x Corsair HD120 1x Corsair AF140L

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW

PSU: Corsair CX600M

Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD (System disk) + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (Storage)

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wPhTtJ