Can I move my Xfinity router?

JTB77

I have an Xfinity router/motem  from comcase, I already know that I cant get a new,better one because I get TV though it, but can I move it?  It is plugged into an optical cable I think.

It is VERY far away from my pc and I HAVE to use a wifi adapter(it works fine by the way), but I was wondering If I could move it.  The comcast person put it on the corner room of my house behind my TV, and said it was the best spot that I could put it.  From what I have heard this is a terrible spot, with electrical interference, and signal loss due to it being in a corner.

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

Looks like it is coax. You can move it to anywhere that you have a live coax connection. The tech may have been right in that that is the only place with a coax drop or that it is the best place that has one. The best solution would be to run ethernet to your PC if that is a possibility.

Yes, you can move the gateway to any active coax in your house. Did you have your house re-wired for this? if so that may be the only live coax.

On 2/8/2016 at 1:49 PM, Bgordy2013 said:

Looks like it is coax. You can move it to anywhere that you have a live coax connection. The tech may have been right in that that is the only place with a coax drop or that it is the best place that has one. The best solution would be to run ethernet to your PC if that is a possibility.

Not entirely accurate. Firstly unless your using Whole Home DVR, I cant imagine you getting TV with your modem. We have Comcast Double Play and we bought our own modem. TV works fine. If you do have whole home DVR then you might have to use their equipment. As whole home DVR uses moca. Further more. You can not just move the modem any where. Your modem should have been installed off a 2 Way splitter. One side of that splitter is for TV and the other is for Internet. The TV side of the 2 way splitter might be hooked in to another splitter that feeds all your TV's. However you need to limit the Number of splitters between your modem and the line going to the pole. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I think OP is talking about X1? What gateway do you have now?

1+ Can't just move it to any active outlet. Not all coaxial outlets have the same signal strength going to them. You can try though and then see what those signal readings are. Would need to know what gateway you have for instructions.

um, I already got a solution for this, I posted this over a week ago,

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

In your setting on you gateway, you can turn off wifi and hard wire a new and better router. It may not be pretty but it works. the gateway is used for phone/internet in my case. all my tv's are wired as well as the boxes. I was told by a tech here in conn. the are going to go wireless with everything. good luck

Look at my last post please

On 2/17/2016 at 6:01 AM, spainter01 said:

In your setting on you gateway, you can turn off wifi and hard wire a new and better router. It may not be pretty but it works. the gateway is used for phone/internet in my case. all my tv's are wired as well as the boxes. I was told by a tech here in conn. the are going to go wireless with everything. good luck