Where do I get started with learning more about networking

pikkie-mahn-mastah

I want to work in IT someday, and I want to start the learning process now. I know a fair amount about basic home networking, and how it all works, but I want to further my knowledge on the subject. Where would I get started, is there a recommended book or website for me to go to to learn the ropes (or cords for that matter).

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

4 minutes ago, pikkie-mahn-mastah said:

I want to work in IT someday, and I want to start the learning process now. I know a fair amount about basic home networking, and how it all works, but I want to further my knowledge on the subject. Where would I get started, is there a recommended book or website for me to go to to learn the ropes (or cords for that matter).

fanfact: read wikipedia articles about everything

after that, start reading guides

you can learn it all pretty easy

6 minutes ago, pikkie-mahn-mastah said:

I have a massive list of authors that I can send later, for now one decent beginner-level youtube channel is danscourses. Covers some general stuff and cisco stuff. 

How basic are we talking? What is a switch? What is a vlan? How do I subnet? What level are we talking about here.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

I have a massive list of authors that I can send later, for now one decent beginner-level youtube channel is danscourses. Covers some general stuff and cisco stuff. 

How basic are we talking? What is a switch? What is a vlan? How do I subnet? What level are we talking about here.

funfact: i can use all of it and can make it all work, but i have no idea what most of the stuff actually is

ive got a 16 port switch working perfectly, but what it actually is?

fuck if i know

8 minutes ago, pikkie-mahn-mastah said:

Look into compita A plus. then try networking plus 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

I would recommend going to Pluarlsight, Microsoft Virtual Academy, or EdX and finding some courses. In my experience Pluralsight is one of the best course providers. 

Good luck and happy learning!

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

I know how to setup an advanced home network with switches, I also know the difference in Category wire, and I know how to differentiate bit from byte. don't know much about anything else you listed, I think I'd better just start from scratch.

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

thank you all!

4 minutes ago, pikkie-mahn-mastah said:

I know how to setup an advanced home network with switches, I also know the difference in Category wire, and I know how to differentiate bit from byte. don't know much about anything else you listed, I think I'd better just start from scratch.

I'd start everything by looking into how switches actually function.

If you want to learn some basics concepts + basic configuration for cisco stuff look into the danscourses youtube channel.

5 minutes ago, pikkie-mahn-mastah said:

In order for learning about switches I would say learn about the MAC Address Table, then subnets, then VLANS. A massive, important, repeating concept that if you get into any branch of IT you'll probably have to touch on is VLANS.

Then branch into routers.

6 minutes ago, pikkie-mahn-mastah said:

Those things are literally a 30 minute read on Wiki that isn't that hard to understand.  Really helps how deep you want to get into networking and start working towards your CCNA.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

18 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

funfact: i can use all of it and can make it all work, but i have no idea what most of the stuff actually is

ive got a 16 port switch working perfectly, but what it actually is?

fuck if i know

Do you want to know?

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Do you want to know?

meh

i dont use uplink, and all i use it for is basically a splitter

i think ill be ok

if you want to though, go ahead

Trail and error is usually pretty effective. So try managing your home network if your aren't doing that already. After that reading wiki articles would be a good option. 

1 minute ago, Josephdalepi said:

meh

i dont use uplink, and all i use it for is basically a splitter

i think ill be ok

if you want to though, go ahead

A switch is a multi-port network bridge that uses hardware addresses (MAC addresses) to receive, process, and forward data to a destination device. A switch forwards data to only the specified device(s), whereas a hub would broadcast the same data out of each port. 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

A switch is a multi-port network bridge that uses hardware addresses (MAC addresses) to receive, process, and forward data to a destination device. A switch forwards data to only the specified device(s), whereas a hub would broadcast the same data out of each port. 

so

its basically a splitter?

3 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

so

its basically a splitter?

Not quite. It's much intelligent than that. There are ethernet splitters that split the 8 wires to dual 4 wires. Those are not switches. Switches maintain the full speed as opposed to reducing it, like a splitter does, and they use a MAC address table to intelligently forward data to the device it needs to go to.

http://superuser.com/questions/104050/difference-between-ethernet-splitter-and-switch

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Not quite. It's much intelligent than that. There are ethernet splitters that split the 8 wires to dual 4 wires. Those are not switches. Switches maintain the full speed as opposed to reducing it, like a splitter does, and they use a MAC address table to intelligently forward data to the device it needs to go to.

splitter

headphone splitter

powered headphone splitter

a splitter  or multi splitter is a hub / (Layer 1)    A switch buffers and sens the signal schortly after a quick check and processing things (L2)

Just now, Josephdalepi said:

splitter

headphone splitter

powered headphone splitter

Yes, I know. Still not quite.

Would a powered headphone splitter send the same signal through all interfaces? If so, then that is more similar to a hub.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Yes, I know. Still not quite.

Would a powered headphone splitter send the same signal through all interfaces? If so, then that is more similar to a hub.

ehh

i think i get it

more of a smart splitter

kinda like how wifi prioritizes on older routers

but a splitter is a dumb repeater

A switch is a active componente who sends the frames to only the reciever if its mac address is seen on a port

a hub or splitter only broadcasts the frame

8 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

ehh

i think i get it

more of a smart splitter

kinda like how wifi prioritizes on older routers

A bit :D there's also some insanely in-depth things that can be done with them. People spend years learning about the shit you can do with them.

@NetworkPeet described it pretty well.