Question About Ghosting

mr195

Hello,

I just bought the Samsung S29E790C (1080p Ultrawide 29" Curved). It has a setting in the menu to change the response time of the monitor, the settings are Standard, Faster and Fastest. When setting this to Faster and Fastest, I can definitely notice a difference in the smoothness of the picture while playing games and watching movies. Faster and Fastest, however, introduce ghosting when applied. It isn't that bothersome to me to be honest, I was just wondering why this is and if somebody had any ideas as to how to fix it. I'm not very knowledgeable about displays, so I wanted to get some help from people who knew what they were talking about :P

Thanks!

Just use default settings...usually works the best. I have a samsung monitor...it flickers...it's so annoying. When I called them up, they suggested changing the outputs...that taught me not to buy Samsung Monitors again

1 hour ago, mr195 said:

Hello,

I just bought the Samsung S29E790C (1080p Ultrawide 29" Curved). It has a setting in the menu to change the response time of the monitor, the settings are Standard, Faster and Fastest. When setting this to Faster and Fastest, I can definitely notice a difference in the smoothness of the picture while playing games and watching movies. Faster and Fastest, however, introduce ghosting when applied. It isn't that bothersome to me to be honest, I was just wondering why this is and if somebody had any ideas as to how to fix it. I'm not very knowledgeable about displays, so I wanted to get some help from people who knew what they were talking about :P

Thanks!

What you're seeing is probably inverse ghosting, where the pixel actually overshoots the color it's aiming for because it's being operated too quickly :P

That's a VA monitor, their major downfall is usually response times.

Those settings speed them up, but it's possible if it wasn't calibrated correctly that the faster settings will do inverse ghosting, which look like blue and white aura trails.

You can use this link to find what setting is best, provided you know what to look for. Basically, you just want to make the trailing black blur as short as possible without there being any colors appearing that shouldn't be there (like blue and white suddenly appearing), which is what inverse ghosting will do.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

6 hours ago, jkeasley said:

Just use default settings...usually works the best. I have a samsung monitor...it flickers...it's so annoying. When I called them up, they suggested changing the outputs...that taught me not to buy Samsung Monitors again

I can deal with it, I love the monitor, its so nice for playing games and doing my programming assignments for school.

4 hours ago, Glenwing said:

What you're seeing is probably inverse ghosting, where the pixel actually overshoots the color it's aiming for because it's being operated too quickly :P

Wow thanks for the info, I never knew inverse ghosting was a thing lol

3 hours ago, Hunched said:

That's a VA monitor, their major downfall is usually response times.

Those settings speed them up, but it's possible if it wasn't calibrated correctly that the faster settings will do inverse ghosting, which look like blue and white aura trails.

You can use this link to find what setting is best, provided you know what to look for. Basically, you just want to make the trailing black blur as short as possible without there being any colors appearing that shouldn't be there (like blue and white suddenly appearing), which is what inverse ghosting will do.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

Awesome, thank you so much for the info and for the link. I'll check that out once I'm able to get back to my desktop