Upgrading from the Samsung Galaxy S3

dr.jan_itor

Hi, I`ve managed to crack the screen on my S3 and am looking for a proper replacement. As you can see, I don`t change my phones very often, which makes upgradeability a priority. I know there`s no such thing as future proofing in the smartphone world but still. Due to the limitations of my carriers` supplies and a self-set 400€ upper limit, this is what I have to choose from:

-HTC One m9

-iPhone 6

-Nexus 5x

-LG G4

-Sony Xperia Z3

The camera is not that much of a priority, any of these phones will do in that department. What I`m looking for is a good screen, good performance and possibly a phone that will last me as long as the s3 has. Customizability is also pretty much unimportant, as long as the thing works as it should. As far as that future proofing thing goes, I know it`s hard to predict something like that and I don`t expect you to, I`d just like for you to keep that in mind when looking at the specs of the phones. For instance, the iPhone has 1gb of ram, the Nexus has 2, that may or may not be a problem in the future, I`m no expert, that`s why I`m asking you for first hand advice. I`m just looking for a simple phone that does things reliably and quickly, I`ll mainly be using it for web browsing and listening to podcasts. Also, good build quality is a big bonus.

Also, OnePlus 2 and similar phones are out of the question as I don`t want to pay the whole amount upfront, so I`ll be buying the phone on contract.

Thanks for your time and sorry for my English, it`s not my first language.:)

I have the LG G4 and it's wonderful. It's slim and easy to use. I've dropped the phone out-of-case a few times without a scratch but maybe I'm just lucky. The performance is prime and the screen is just beautiful at full brightness with the "Lux" app. I recommend you get the LG G4 based off of my experience.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

I went from an S3 to a Nexus 5 (pre-X) and the difference was amazing. There is such a huge increase in perceived system speed when you get rid of Samsung's ridiculous TouchWiz crap. I have an S4 through work and I find myself repeatedly going back to my "old" Nexus 5 because TouchWiz is such a clunky slug.

So Nexus 5X would be my opinion. The Xperia is also incredibly durable and runs circles around the Samsung counterparts as well.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

@Vercii How does the 808 handle things? Ever notice any slowdowns at all?

@ApolloX75 Don`t worry, I got rid of TouchWiz a long time ago. It wasn`t all bad, some features were nice, but the lag, oh god, the lag... not to mention the gallery app, which took like 15 secs to open. 

@s3ns3 Because it`s still too expensive for my set budget. The price will probably drop in a few weeks due to the S7 announcement, but that`s a long wait with a severly cracked screen. Also, the link you posted is about the 6s which is waaaay overbudget, I`m talking about the 6.

If having the latest and greatest isn't an issue, i'm going to suggest a Galaxy S5.

Yes it is a couple year old phone now, and the S7 will be announced in around two weeks, but here is my reasoning.

1) it will be significantly cheaper. I don't mean in just the price of the phone but the length of time inside your contract to pay it off. 
2) SD Cards & replaceable batteries. I know there are a lot of people who think that these two features are irrelevant but i don't. And if you are anything like me, you can eat through a battery and a half a day without trying.

3) The phone is also a good solid phone and will able completely updateable for some time to come.

4 minutes ago, dr.jan_itor said:

@s3ns3 Because it`s still too expensive for my set budget. The price will probably drop in a few weeks due to the S7 announcement, but that`s a long wait with a severly cracked screen. Also, the link you posted is about the 6s which is waaaay overbudget, I`m talking about the 6.

hmm,the iphone 6 should cost 100e more than the galaxy s6.

yes the link is for the latest 6s so that the graph includes all recent recent released phones.the iphone 6 is included,and its fast

78184.png

@Talamakara Yeah, I like the S5 too, love the screen, the battery and all that good stuff, unfortunately, my carrier doesn`t supply it. They only have the S5 neo, and for practically the same price as the G4, m9, 5x,...

Not sure how it performs compared to the regular S5, if it`s as good I`ll definitely take it in consideration.

@s3ns3 In my country, the S6 costs about 100€ more than the iphone 6. Huh, I guess the iphone is still very capable, how long do you reckon it will get updates? I`m kinda worried about the 1gb of ram. 

Sure, if I find one...so far, I haven`t found anything under 300€ which is ok I guess but is it better than the G4&co.?

I think that getting the iPhone 6s will be the best since its the most simple and the fastest phone out of the choices you gave.

Well I'd personally get the Nexus 5x just because I hate LG's skin. The G4 is a great phone if you don't mind the skin though. 

If you want to try something new, the iPhone 6 is decent. I'd ignore the rest though. 

Ok, so far I`m leaning towards the iphone. Just out of curiosity, is there something seriously wrong with the m9? Nobody seems to like it...

5 hours ago, dr.jan_itor said:

Ok, so far I`m leaning towards the iphone. Just out of curiosity, is there something seriously wrong with the m9? Nobody seems to like it...

go with iphone 6 

yes. same design as the m8.with that ugly logo black bar.BUT less battery life,worse screen,overheating issues,throttle

Samsung GS4? It is what I use and have used for the last 3 years. It has removable memory and a removable battery and you should be able to find them pre-owned for super cheap.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

@Talamakara Not sure what you`re implying, how is Samsung any different from Apple? tbh, spending 400€ on a smartphone is wasted money either way, might as well go for the one I prefer subjectively. Also, I`ve had a Samsung phone for 4 years, I should probably try something else now, just to see what else is out there.

@dr.jan_itor

"how is samsung any different from Apple"

I could spend hours answering this. But if you prefer to be locked in the "iWorld" don't let me stop you. But I will give you just 2 examples.

1) I've never needed a program like "itunes" just to access any file on my android devices.
2) fapnation

@Talamakara You`re right, the itunes is probably the worst program I`ve ever used but never mind that, what the hell is fapnation? :D

@dr.jan_itor  lol google is your friend. But as i'm already typing, it's what they call the collection of all those famous people who had their naked photos stolen out of the icloud.