Audio gear and hearing safety

1 hour ago, EUD said:

i found out that spiral shape of cochlea enhances snesitivity to low freq by ~20db

still browsing

But it does that because our ears are so bad at registering low frequencies that lows are still quite, which is why at a event the subs will be pumping out a extra 20dB in comparison to the mids or the highs. Its also why SPL weight A exists as its design to measure audio similar to how humans hear
2000px-Acoustic_weighting_curves_(1).svg

1 hour ago, EUD said:

apparently old equipm. was overdoing low and high-mid ranges to the point where you eardrum would itch

No not really, Only thing which has changed is better efficiency and being able to go so much louder without having to have a stack of audio equipment 3 times the size of the stage. Also understanding of directivity and how to make it so that only the audience hears the music at 120dB and the neighbours trying to sleep dont get full force of the pa. The idea that they overdoing low and high mids maybe but I wasn't alive during the old days, but in comparison to events these days events are louder over all frequencies, so its not gotten better its gotten worse.

The Dick of the audio page!

48 minutes ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Purity of sound?

105db = deaf in couple of minutes?

You're not an audio engineer and you lack the ability to communicate adequately, yet you feel you are in a good position to tell if audio engineers are correct and communicate it to us? If frequencies @ 2khz are getting boosted by 18dB, either it's boosted alone (in which case the sound would be terrible and nobody would continue using the headphone) or it's boosted along with other frequencies as the person turns up the amp, in which case a cheapo dB meter is enough for the user to get a feeling of whether their levels are dangerous or not.

An audio engineer is not a consensus and in the world of audio it's hard to get a general consensus on anything. You might not like the way people are disagreeing with you, but to say that they are criticizing you like mindless zombies is just not the case. People are pointing out specific points where they disagree with you and why.

match your headphones to just under 70db on some music, then turn up 2khz test and test again. see how there is peak at 2khz

yes, purity of sound. no distortions, and output only what its supposed to. i dont have word for it. what is it?

I spoke to SSL before about pneumatic effect, he repeatedly just ignored that IEMs are the most dangerous audio equipment. And i get threads derailed all the time. this one by NinjaJc01 at least some mod deleted comments.

And the comment about mindless zombies i wrote specifically so people wouldnt shitpost.

i am not overreaching and i am taking into account what people say. this is a thread, not a hypothesis and i am no defending it like its my bias. at least i try to.

2 hours ago, EUD said:

match your headphones to just under 70db on some music, then turn up 2khz test and test again. see how there is peak at 2khz

look at the graph i posted, its to do with how you measure sound volumes. the different lines represent changes to how you record the the volume depending on different factors. for example the blue line called A weighted is similar to human hearing. Do you see where the peak of that line is. Surprisingly its between 1k Hz and 4k Hz surprisingly thats what human hearing is most sensitive to. So when I said comment about what weighting is this measured in, is very important.
Now look at the blue line again now look where the low frequencies are like 100Hz now whats the difference between them and the 2kHz OH SHIT ITS 20dB!

25 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

look at the graph i posted, its to do with how you measure sound volumes. the different lines represent changes to how you record the the volume depending on different factors. for example the blue line called A weighted is similar to human hearing. Do you see where the peak of that line is. Surprisingly its between 1k Hz and 4k Hz surprisingly thats what human hearing is most sensitive to. So when I said comment about what weighting is this measured in, is very important.
Now look at the blue line again now look where the low frequencies are like 100Hz now whats the difference between them and the 2kHz OH SHIT ITS 20dB!

so what method to determine if its peak or not?

because, some headphones measure less than 18db peak... like logitech 430

5 hours ago, EUD said:

yes, purity of sound. no distortions, and output only what its supposed to. i dont have word for it. what is it?

I spoke to SSL before about pneumatic effect, he repeatedly just ignored that IEMs are the most dangerous audio equipment.

Nobody matches their headphones "to 70dB". That would be stupid, precisely because headphones do not have flat response. Even then, having a peak in the upper mid-range is NOT dangerous; as I have explained repeatedly, the human aural system is most sensitive to these frequencies due the interaction with the upper body and external ear structure. Headphones BYPASS these interactions, which means that most headphones employ an EQ'd response to recreate the effect and ensure a natural reproduction. Your continued railing about how this is "dangerous" is unfounded.

Audio equipment without distortion (the definition of "output only what its supposed to") is not appreciably safer than anything else. Low distortion does not make something safer to listen to at a high level. Considering that this thread is supposed to be about hearing safety, this is a really weird (and incorrect) point to be making.

I did not repeatedly ignore the pneumatic effect lol. I do find it weird that there are only a couple of articles out there on the subject - makes me suspect that marketing is playing into this in some way, especially when the article you linked closed out with talk about new tech to alleviate this terrible issue.

4 hours ago, EUD said:

so what method to determine if its peak or not?

because, some headphones measure less than 18db peak... like logitech 430

For some reason most people use C for peak. But you should also not use a sine wave as a audio test thats what pink noise is for.