Routers/Firewall IDK

mcraftax

Hi Peoples of the LTT Forum,

My attempts at making a router/firewall were fail as you said, so lets find one which is good.

It needs to been/have:

Round £200 or less, less the better

(As I am trying to convince my parents they need to get a better network other then the ISP router, #100Mb-Lan #IDK-How-Cr@ppy-Wi-Fi-Can-Be #We-Have-6Mbps/0.5Mbps-WAN )

1Gb Ethernet

Be able to have 4 to 8 VPN connections (4 people/1-2 devices each, I want to use OpenVPN)

It needs to have a decent firewall. (All the best that is possible)

Rack mounted

VLANs

A captive portal

And other good router/firewall features (I know I will have mist quite a few off)

Does not need to have:

Lots of LAN ports (2+ or even 1, DMZ dedicated port would nice)

Multiple WAN ports (My parents will never have more than 1 phone line #We-Have-6Mbps/0.5Mbps-WAN)

Best if it didn't have:

Fibre ports (because this is my parents network and like its ever going to be needed).

Yearly subscription to services/access/firewall features.

Wi-Fi/Wireless (the network is planned to have a much better Ubiquiti AC Pro).

Any suggestions?

Thanks a hell of a lot, is will be really useful!!!

Thank you.

Max :)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ninninon said:

A new router won't improve speeds, only range.

I'm not trying to improve range. It is only a router/firewall not a switch or AP

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

no, not wirless

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

How technically skilled are you?

34 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

How technically skilled are you?

I have a bit of experience, I learn very quickly and really enjoy learning. Web management would been needed but if there is needed from command line OK but no full on LCI

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

45 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

I have a bit of experience, I learn very quickly and really enjoy learning. Web management would been needed but if there is needed from command line OK but no full on LCI

You already said a ubiquiti AC PRO is planned in the future, since you are somewhat technical you can just get a Ubiquiti router to go with it. I think (but don't quote me) that you can manage them from the same software.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

59 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

I suggest getting your CCNA.  Great Certification,I did mine right as I turned 16, it's easy and is a fantastic benifit to your learning and experience.

For a router, why do you want a different router.  If your ISP one has a NAT Firewall why do you need another one?  However the only difference would be that maybe your ISP couldn't access the third party one. 

I put my ISP router as a bridged modem, and then have a DDWRT Linksys AC roiuter as the router itself.  DDWRT is great, highly recommend it.   If openwrt actually worked correctly on it, I would have much rather used that to be totally fair. 

16 hours ago, brwainer said:

You already said a ubiquiti AC PRO is planned in the future, since you are somewhat technical you can just get a Ubiquiti router to go with it. I think (but don't quote me) that you can manage them from the same software.

yes it does

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

16 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

I suggest getting your CCNA.  Great Certification,I did mine right as I turned 16, it's easy and is a fantastic benifit to your learning and experience.

For a router, why do you want a different router.  If your ISP one has a NAT Firewall why do you need another one?  However the only difference would be that maybe your ISP couldn't access the third party one. 

I put my ISP router as a bridged modem, and then have a DDWRT Linksys AC roiuter as the router itself.  DDWRT is great, highly recommend it.   If openwrt actually worked correctly on it, I would have much rather used that to be totally fair. 

I would use the ISP on as a bridge modem and it is not that good but good enough for WAN connection but I don't want it doing the main LAN (i know it would have it's own and I may use that a DMZ for something).

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I am just interest in what you said @Mike_The_B0ss about certificates/qualifications. There is loads and I don't know what ones to aim for first. Btw I'm 14 at the moment and want to get into the computers/networks. 

Thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler